Higher lumens worth the cost?

YYZ Skinhead

RIP Neil Peart 9/12/1952 -- 1/7/2020
Reaction score
1000bulbs.com/category/1000-watt-high-pressure-sodium-lamps/

The generic 1000w HPS claims an initial output of 130,000 lumens and costs $25.34. The Eye Hortilux 1000w HPS claims 145,000 lumens and costs $100. I have never worked with Hortilux but they supposedly have more blue spectrum light than average HPSs.

People who have worked with higher-lumen-output HPSs (and there are several brands), are they worth the initial higher price, in the long term? Do they maintain higher lumen output over a year and a half? I see used Hortilux bulbs all the time on Craigslist. If a used one puts out more lumens than a new ordinary 400w, I would buy the used Hortilux.

pcduck

Feed the soil, not the plant
Reaction score
Light is to important not to buy new.

Some growers go with the cheaper bulb some go with the top end bulb, growers preference.

T

The Hemp Goddess

I got a 1000W bulb on e-bay a month or so ago--$32 and 155,000 lumens. I see it has now gone up to $36. I personally do not believe the higher priced bulbs are worth the extra cost.

hXXp://www.ebay.com/itm/330598100040?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Music
Reaction score
I go the cheap route and replace them a lil more often....I get all my bulbs off 1000 bulbs.com. Jmo

Old_SSSC_Guy

incorrigible reprobate
Reaction score
FWIW, one thing to remember is that all bulbs output on a decreasing curve. i know that with the MH "Super" bulbs you'll loose that 'super' boost in a matter of a couple of weeks, making it just a plain old regular MH lamp. i got that from a manufacturer's rep that i talked to who said that the 'Super' lamps were a waste of money because of this fast-decreasing output curve.

that was an easy 15 years ago though, maybe the technology has gotten better? i know that back then, THE lamp to get were Eye (Iwasaki) brand. they lasted longer, put out more lumens uniformly on that decreasing curve, etc. i think Iwasaki now private-label manufactures them for others. but at minimum you get Japaneese quality instead of Chineese quality, and there can be a big difference there.

Dr.Drow

Hydro Enthusiast
Reaction score
:yeahthat: I like to research things and decided to only use Eye Hortilux ya they are pricer but it gives me peace at mind I guess:ignore: .

D

dman1234

IMO you casn get a cheaper bulb and replace more often, thats piece of mind, i know my bulbs are giving peak lumens because they get tossed at approx half their life, jmo

Dr.Drow

Hydro Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still replace my expensive bulbs at half life, lol If I could only bring a peice of the sun indoors and use it to grow..:rolleyes:

Music
Reaction score
dman1234 said:
IMO you casn get a cheaper bulb and replace more often, thats piece of mind, i know my bulbs are giving peak lumens because they get tossed at approx half their life, jmo

No doubt.....:yeahthat:

Couchlocked

Stuck to the Sofa
Reaction score
I think 4 of those bulbs for the price of 1 of the other says enough. Eventually, the 100 dollar bulb will lose its intensity. The question is can it outlast 4 cheaper bulbs? I would bet on the cheaper bulbs being changed more frequently but still performing at a higher standard than the single bulb over time....unless the cheap bulbs are just absolute crap.

Latest posts