Higher lumens worth the cost?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YYZ Skinhead

RIP Neil Peart 9/12/1952 -- 1/7/2020
Reaction score
1000bulbs.com/category/1000-watt-high-pressure-sodium-lamps/

The generic 1000w HPS claims an initial output of 130,000 lumens and costs $25.34. The Eye Hortilux 1000w HPS claims 145,000 lumens and costs $100. I have never worked with Hortilux but they supposedly have more blue spectrum light than average HPSs.

People who have worked with higher-lumen-output HPSs (and there are several brands), are they worth the initial higher price, in the long term? Do they maintain higher lumen output over a year and a half? I see used Hortilux bulbs all the time on Craigslist. If a used one puts out more lumens than a new ordinary 400w, I would buy the used Hortilux.

Light is to important not to buy new.

Some growers go with the cheaper bulb some go with the top end bulb, growers preference.

I got a 1000W bulb on e-bay a month or so ago--$32 and 155,000 lumens. I see it has now gone up to $36. I personally do not believe the higher priced bulbs are worth the extra cost.

hXXp://www.ebay.com/itm/330598100040?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I go the cheap route and replace them a lil more often....I get all my bulbs off 1000 bulbs.com. Jmo

FWIW, one thing to remember is that all bulbs output on a decreasing curve. i know that with the MH "Super" bulbs you'll loose that 'super' boost in a matter of a couple of weeks, making it just a plain old regular MH lamp. i got that from a manufacturer's rep that i talked to who said that the 'Super' lamps were a waste of money because of this fast-decreasing output curve.

that was an easy 15 years ago though, maybe the technology has gotten better? i know that back then, THE lamp to get were Eye (Iwasaki) brand. they lasted longer, put out more lumens uniformly on that decreasing curve, etc. i think Iwasaki now private-label manufactures them for others. but at minimum you get Japaneese quality instead of Chineese quality, and there can be a big difference there.

:yeahthat: I like to research things and decided to only use Eye Hortilux ya they are pricer but it gives me peace at mind I guess:ignore: .

IMO you casn get a cheaper bulb and replace more often, thats piece of mind, i know my bulbs are giving peak lumens because they get tossed at approx half their life, jmo

I still replace my expensive bulbs at half life, lol If I could only bring a peice of the sun indoors and use it to grow..:rolleyes:

dman1234 said:
IMO you casn get a cheaper bulb and replace more often, thats piece of mind, i know my bulbs are giving peak lumens because they get tossed at approx half their life, jmo

No doubt.....:yeahthat:

I think 4 of those bulbs for the price of 1 of the other says enough. Eventually, the 100 dollar bulb will lose its intensity. The question is can it outlast 4 cheaper bulbs? I would bet on the cheaper bulbs being changed more frequently but still performing at a higher standard than the single bulb over time....unless the cheap bulbs are just absolute crap.

Latest posts

Back