highya

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldHippieChick

apostate
Reaction score
:peace:
Im new here ....... I'm getting my ducks in a row for my first attempt at growing my own - thought I'd jump in and try hydro and some old school soil at the same time. I ordered my seeds from NL - sorta sucking air about it and hoping for the best..... selected White Widow, Crystal, Ice and Super Silver Haze. The Lights I first selected were the red/blue LED panel but thought I may have blown it so ordered some 6500K flourescents as well..... Still making decisions about nutrients and such. I've selected my smallest closet thats 7'x5'x8'H..... sounds sorta big considering I just want to be self sufficient but I assume there will be much trial and error (like with my first light choice).

I think I just made my second mistake as well - I'm trying to germinate some crap seeds that have probably been around a couple of years just for the practice.... one bunch I just folded into several layers of paper towels and sat on a kitchen counter under a regular flourescent light..... nothing going on there and it's probably 5 days now . So then I soaked some others in water and put them in a cabinet in the dark for 24 hrs..... then did the wet paper towel thing in a half open freezer bag. I set it on my computer monitor for a bit of warmth. Nothing going on there. So am I screwing up or am I being impatient or could the seeds just be to old? I tend to think it's me and maybe I've got the poor babys swimming in to much water..... those paper towels are wet - not damp...... so please if you can - get me going in the right direction? Thanks!

I picked this forum after lurking here and on another because I got the feeling a virgin grower might not feel quite so intimidated amongst you.... please tell me I was right - thanks!

xox
OHC

We dont want no hippies on this forum.

Sling your hook and vanish.

Hello OldHippieChick :p

Welcome to the forum.

The seeds you are practicing on may be too old or have been stored incorrectly.

The methods you are using should work in normal conditions if kept warm while germinating.

Never give up, 1 or 2 may germinate hopefully ;)

You have joined a great place, no arguments or childish crap here, just excellent advice and humour :p

Your room is quite large and will need 175,000 lumens.

2 x 600w lights will cover it.

Have looking around and ask as many questions as you like, everyone is welcome here, from novice to experienced :)

Good selection to start of with, evrything Hie said is true, except we don't joke around here it promotes the unruly practice of ....bwahhaaaa:rofl: , sorry i'm vapin! Welcome and good luck we'll be around!

Welcome i hope you have a sence of humour ...you may need it around here ! Just to add an extra tip regarding ya seeeds you may which to try the float test as well ...if they sink keep em growing and if they float toss em ! Peace and stay safe !

:yeahthat: and welcome to MP im sure you will enjoy your stay here ,,:peace:

HippyInEngland said:
We dont want no hippies on this forum.

Sling your hook and vanish.

But she sounds cool ..:rofl:

you stay right here... OldHippyChic.. my new friend.:D .I wanna welcome you..as for doing both Hydro and soil...at same time may become overwhelming later with all the steps...IMO..pick one system to work with first and then try other..I do soil mostly as its more forgiveing..I do run a DWC Bucket as well as a coco bucket..anyway Im glad ya found us..hope to see ya around..untill then take care and be safe

Hi HippyInEngland.... OK wow, I can't do the closet then, I need a space small enough that I don't have to rewire.... I'm reading around and so far am considering using the top half of my armoire. 1" thick side walls and 2" thick doors.... there will be no painting because it's my most cherrished piece of furniture so will have to line the walls somehow - even with white painted thin plywood unless someone makes a better suggestion. The space dims are 34"H X 46"W x 22"deep. can make the H as much as a foot shorter with the adjustable shlf and have no issues with drilling holes in the shelf for light suspension. The box already has an outlet in it and there's a 2" dia hole for running more through if needed. The inside doors are mirror lined so can't see that being anything but a plus. It's in my BR just a few feet from a ceiling fan and the doors swing open all the way so was thinking for just a few plants that would be good enough for air circulation. There is an outside window just a couple feet from it and I am a tad worried about the law dogs in helicopters detecting heat. I live in a urban area, with two airports in a straight line above my house within 5 miles..... and a freeway a mile away so would assume I get a lot of flyover traffic. I wonder if I should put up some sorta heat barrier over that window. Based on the measurements I gave - and if you approve of the revised space, what would my light reqirement be now? Thanks for the help.... luv your country.... and you have a sexy accent ;).

Purple: Thanks, I did the float test and a few sunk to the bottom asap, I went back and stirred it 3 times over the next 24 hrs and about half sunk in that time, those are the ones I am working with - still nothing. Hippy could be right.... I never stored them, just threw the bag in a drawer for emergency crap when something new showed up. tbh they could be 2 yrs to 5 or 6 yrs old..... I been smokin' a few decades hehehe. Got loads of other similar bags with seeds so may well try em all while I wait on my others to ship.
4u2smOke: Ummm I ordered this really primative bubble/hydro tub setup - think it's 11 gal. - mainly so I could examine it for building my own with a surplus of 5 gallon buckets I've stocked up over the years.... just big enough for two full grown plants imo. That's why I was considering playing with both soil and water... expecting that I'd develope a preference in a short time and disgard one route or the other. I just want to be self sufficient so not looking at more than an lb or more a year.
Thanks for the kind welcomes from the chef, Hampster Lewis and UKgirl420 :).
more later....
Sorry for the rediculously long post...
OHC

Hola OHC :)

You have progressed from this introduction.

This section is to introduce yourself and get a welcome.

The questions you ask are now defunct here.

You need to pop into this section >>>

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16

Give all your options at hand, your idea's, you can and cant options etc and wait for replies.

You have to remember this site is global, so while you merrily enjoy your day, 3/4 of the world sleeps.

(Most will be living in your waking time anyway, but you get the idea, dont always expect instant answers)

See you around :)

:rofl: yeah we dont wanna cause any wakes...:lama:

take care and be safe OHC :ciao: :bolt::bong:

Yes,welcome Old Hippie Chick. I'm sure you'll find all the help you will need here on MP. The folks here are right on the problem,explaining (in detail) whats up and how to fix it. You'll find different points of view,which is right on. Again welcome to a world of information on MP.Peace out.

Hi welcome u r in the best place for growers and smokers~

OldHippieChick said:
Hi HippyInEngland.... OK wow, I can't do the closet then, I need a space small enough that I don't have to rewire.... I'm reading around and so far am considering using the top half of my armoire. 1" thick side walls and 2" thick doors.... there will be no painting because it's my most cherrished piece of furniture so will have to line the walls somehow - even with white painted thin plywood unless someone makes a better suggestion. The space dims are 34"H X 46"W x 22"deep. can make the H as much as a foot shorter with the adjustable shlf and have no issues with drilling holes in the shelf for light suspension. The box already has an outlet in it and there's a 2" dia hole for running more through if needed. The inside doors are mirror lined so can't see that being anything but a plus. It's in my BR just a few feet from a ceiling fan and the doors swing open all the way so was thinking for just a few plants that would be good enough for air circulation. There is an outside window just a couple feet from it and I am a tad worried about the law dogs in helicopters detecting heat. I live in a urban area, with two airports in a straight line above my house within 5 miles..... and a freeway a mile away so would assume I get a lot of flyover traffic. I wonder if I should put up some sorta heat barrier over that window. Based on the measurements I gave - and if you approve of the revised space, what would my light reqirement be now? Thanks for the help.... luv your country.... and you have a sexy accent ;).

Purple: Thanks, I did the float test and a few sunk to the bottom asap, I went back and stirred it 3 times over the next 24 hrs and about half sunk in that time, those are the ones I am working with - still nothing. Hippy could be right.... I never stored them, just threw the bag in a drawer for emergency crap when something new showed up. tbh they could be 2 yrs to 5 or 6 yrs old..... I been smokin' a few decades hehehe. Got loads of other similar bags with seeds so may well try em all while I wait on my others to ship.
4u2smOke: Ummm I ordered this really primative bubble/hydro tub setup - think it's 11 gal. - mainly so I could examine it for building my own with a surplus of 5 gallon buckets I've stocked up over the years.... just big enough for two full grown plants imo. That's why I was considering playing with both soil and water... expecting that I'd develope a preference in a short time and disgard one route or the other. I just want to be self sufficient so not looking at more than an lb or more a year.
Thanks for the kind welcomes from the chef, Hampster Lewis and UKgirl420 :).
more later....
Sorry for the rediculously long post...
OHC

Welcome. It is always nice to welcome another female grower.

However, you are operating under some misconceptions (like mirrors being good reflectors).

I would not use a prized possession to grow pot. You are going to need to cut holes for ventilation anywhere you grow--opening the doors is not going to cut it. And it is really hard not to spill water.

Start at the Resources section and then read all the Stickies that pertain to how you want to grow. then get a plan together as to your lighting, type of grow, medium, ventilation, and nutes. If you have questions you can start a new thread in the appropriate forum.

:48:

I get it - thanks Goddess. The resource center is awesome... I've had my nose stuck there for hrs.... I spotted the mirror issue immediately. Thanks for the warm and patient welcome ALL. The revised plan is to modify the closet size. Back to the resource section..... lovin' what you all have done here.
xox
OHC

looks like i've made it home just in time to welcome you to our wonderful site ohc.:) ...

come on in , take your shoes off, and stay awhile...

and , hold this...

:48:

Latest posts

Back