holes in container...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBGrowin

Reaction score
is it neccesary to have drainage holes at the bottom of a container... i have 2 plants growin in approx 1 gallon plastic folgers coffee cans neither has holes and one plant growing in a cut off gatorade bottle. (until trasnplanted) should i put holes in these? if i dont will it affect my plant? it seems no holes would mean water lasts longer and im leaving for five days next week so i was hesitant to put holes in my pots.. also will my plants need to be trasnplanted from the 1 gal containers?

IBGrowin said:
is it necessary to have drainage holes at the bottom of a container...

will my plants need to be transplanted from the 1 gal containers?

The holes are to avoid any water build up in the bottom of the container from over watering. If there are no holes and water does build up, it could cause serious problems with the roots "drowning". The roots can't get any oxygen and start dying. If you were VERY careful to not over water, you could get away with it. However, if you're leaving for 5 days, you'll need someone to put some water on them using the same care not to drown them.

The rule of thumb for container size is one gallon for every foot in height. Transplanting can cause shock, so you really don't want to do that a bunch of times. Calculate how tall your plants will be at harvest and use a container that is one gallon for every foot in plant height.

Good luck man.

Latest posts

Back