Home of the Old Fart's Club part 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im a Superintendent,, im building a Burkes Outlet. 16,000sf building.
I take temps of my crews everyday, but nobody wears a mask and nobody has come up sick. Besides,,its to freaking hot in that building to wear a stinking mask unless they are doing something that is really dusty.
Im going to leave it at that before this turns into a political thing.
And by the way,,the Flu damn near killed me 3yrs ago. Wasnt Covid and nobody was wearing mask because of it.
Your position is valid for a construction site. What I have a problem with is people without masks in public areas like buildings, stores, etc. LIke in Family Dollar and gas station convenience stores, etc. Gas stations with convenience stores should absolutely have mask requirements because of all the out-of-state travelers. I won't even go into the Sunoco/Subway near me. Every damned truck driver buying diesel walks into the store with out a mask. Even buying sandwiches at the Subway counter. Despite the Governor's order to wear masks inside stores like that. They shut me out because I have family to protect. And not to say steelworkers are tougher than construction workers buy I wore a big two-filter mask while doing a job soaked with sweat inside a steel foundry. When swinging around red-hot castings with a hand crane. You had to because of silica dust and other contaminants in the air. And it didn't kill us to wear masks. We got used to it.

Well, I've got the Chateau all buttoned up. What would normally be a pretty simple job turned into a real PITA.

I busted my right wrist a week or so ago. 🤛 Gaah. Try screwing aircraft tie-downs into the ground left-handed. About the only way to get them in is to push down with one hand while turning with the other.

Wound up using my busted wrist. Owie. Thank Gawd for Volcanoes.

Tie downs are necessary; I have a huge RO water system that would make a reasonable sail for Drifting13's boat.

water system 1.jpg

Windows and such are normally thirty seconds each. You can see the folding shutters. Good to 250MPH o_O Lordy, I hope we never find out.

But even the folding shutters were a PITA -- something that is effortless with two hands can be nearly impossibobble with one.

YIKES!!!

Just now thought of it. I gotta take my flagpole down:

flag.jpg

OK. I am back. Herself is out shopping for heavy cream and such; seems my son, Puck, delivered me a couple of nice big lobsters (got them in the 2-day season).

Got the pole down, and found Fancy Pants (wild peacock) sitting in my garage.

I'm gonna make Unca's Famous Death By Lobster Bisque recipe. The hooman bod can only withstand this assault about once a year.

Hurricane is Creo for party time

Rose are RED
Violets are BLUE
If you believe me it might be true
i hear you kinda the same thing in texas too.
Cool,,never heard that term when i was in New Orleans. Then again New Orleans doesn't care for Hurricanes after the last one,,but im up for some good ole Mud Bugs.
did i hear mud bugs? damn now i'm hungry, gotta have some onions, corn and taters in there too. beer and jagermeister to wash it down.

Unca Walt , ain’t there a hurricane coming and you are cooking lobster?

Yowza!!

All the terrible pictures you see blasted across MSM are either from the Islands (Freeport, etc) that are right offa the coast, or where a hurricane has hit older construction.

The way houses are built down here now are like nowhere else on the planet. TINS. Every two feet, there is 5/8" rebar set into the slab, and projecting upwards into the solid walls.

Roof is on the same way, except all the way around on the top of the walls, there's 10-inch I-beams in addition to rebar that goes up into the roof structure. Triple strapping.

And the roof itself is hard to believe unless you see it. Nails through disks every three inches in every direction. Yes, that means there are tens of thousands of nails up there.

My nearest neighbor does not even have the shutters I have. He has hurricane-proof windows!! YIKES.

Anyway, Herself and Your Humble Obd't &tc have been through four hurricanes with zerio damage whatsoever. The Chateau is constructed like a fargin fortress... and since we have lived here 20 years, we always have a six-month minimum stocked pantry. Even this Yuk Flu didn't cause us much difficulty. When this toilet paper shortage hit and my beautiful Scottish witch told me she could not find any in the stores, I took her up into the attic and showed her the 20 cases of 25 rolls each I had purchased ten years ago...

So when other people are going out panic-buying 4'x8' plywood $$$$$ :eek: (often useless -- and colossal, dangerous effort anyway) folks in the new-regimen houses just handle it like any other day.

A Cat 1 = Meh. Our buying prep consisted of an extra 1.5 liter of brandy.

Cat 5's are interesting, but no danger at all to the new construction houses.

The Death By Lobster Bisque has been prepared. It sits on the stove, melding. There's (for two people) a 1/4-lb of butter, quart of heavy cream, pint of light cream, amongst other goodies like sherry, blanched chopped onion, red pepper, $20 worth of saffron, and some other disgusting unmentionables one finds in dead lobsters.

It will be reheated and attacked in about four hours. For a guy that generally stays under 1300 calories a day, this will be biblical.

I fully intend to first blow up my Volcano so I can walk in all prepared to fold the dishes and put the telephone back in the refrigerator.

Afternoon all. Been busy all day. Had to clean some things up and take out the trash earlier today. All good now though!! I am sure the trash can will fill up again and it will be dumped again.

We don't need the drama here after what all on here just went through.

Have a great rest of your day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back