Homemade Indoor Grow Box

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blaynco

Reaction score
*this is my first post on marijuana passion, if there is any possible feedback i can receive regarding my format of the post or the topic discussed in the post please let me know* :)

For the first time in awhile, I sat down and wrote out detailed instructions and "blueprints" to build what I now have to help aid the growing my first plants of the season. This is my second attempt EVER at growing cannabis so your feedback would be very appreciated.
This idea come to me after my first attempt growing cannabis indoors, I had no clue what I was getting into and had to get rid of my plant mid grow because I did not enough space and time due to my busy workload. Here is my explanation of what my "grow box" has to offer.

• First, I grabbed 27gal Sterilite storage container from my local store along with some black and white construction paper.
  • After talking to some people in my local community, I received a pretty decent computer fan for relatively cheap and cut a hole for air circulation in the box.
  • I then lined the box with black construction paper to ensure the immense light produced from my light would not bounce around the house.
  • Next, I did the same with the white construction paper. This created an environment like a grow tent where the light would be reflected off of the white paper, sort of like mylar.
  • My little seed finally went into the soil on the 9th of May and has been busy ever since.
I currently have two lights to use, I figured that my 50W 60Hz LED Grow Light would be too much for my seedling to handle at this stage so I went with a 9W 60Hz LED household lamp bulb. For my water mixture I had been using regular purified bottled water until the seedling had begun to push out of the soil. At that point I mixed 2L of purified water with SUPERthrive Liquid Concentrate to help the plant grow.

edit: It is probably important to add that this plant will only being growing indoors for a couple of weeks, then transplanted into a permanent home outside in a 5gal bucket, it currently resides in a handy red solo cup with drainage holes cut on the bottom and sides.

Last edited:
Hey Blaynco, welcome to MP, what you got? We can help!

I would wait at least another week or 2 before adding nutes..you have a great chance of killing them in that early of the stage...then at that time I would do a 1/4 to 1/2 strength for the nutes..

If you are just trying to start your plants before putting them outdoors then you don't need a lot of light. You do however have to not feed them for at least the 1st 2 weeks. Feeding them too early will either kill them or stunt them. 2 weeks no food, then 1/4 strength will do. Lights on 24-0. Good luck and green Mojo. Oh and welcome to MP.

I would seriously consider buying fabric pots for your plants when you put them outdoors rather than using plastic buckets. I would also suggest going with planters that are larger. Go with pots as big as you can. Outdoors, I personally think that 20-25 gallons should be a minimum.

Using your 50w light should not be too much. I use 300W of T5 fluoro light for my seedlings.

Like Hamster says, don't feed them too early.

I would wait at least another week or 2 before adding nutes..you have a great chance of killing them in that early of the stage...then at that time I would do a 1/4 to 1/2 strength for the nutes..
Thanks for the input, I will disregard using the nute water and stick to the regular purified.

I would seriously consider buying fabric pots for your plants when you put them outdoors rather than using plastic buckets. I would also suggest going with planters that are larger. Go with pots as big as you can. Outdoors, I personally think that 20-25 gallons should be a minimum.

Using your 50w light should not be too much. I use 300W of T5 fluoro light for my seedlings.

Like Hamster says, don't feed them too early.
You’re saying my light would be okay to use at this stage, just ensuring.

If you are just trying to start your plants before putting them outdoors then you don't need a lot of light. You do however have to not feed them for at least the 1st 2 weeks. Feeding them too early will either kill them or stunt them. 2 weeks no food, then 1/4 strength will do. Lights on 24-0. Good luck and green Mojo. Oh and welcome to MP.
I have the lightbulb on 24-0, I was going to switch to 18-4 a week or two before moving outdoors.

I think that I'd cut the lights to 18/6 before moving outside. I think this is more important if you are in the southern part of the country where the days are shorter. Plants put out too early can start flowering, then go back to revegging if they are put out too early. This starting and stopping and starting of the flowering hormones can affect growth and yield.

If your seedling start stretching too much, you will know they do not have enough light and you can use the 50W. Like I said, mine are just sprouting now, but they will go under a 300W light when all are sprouted.

I think that I'd cut the lights to 18/6 before moving outside. I think this is more important if you are in the southern part of the country where the days are shorter. Plants put out too early can start flowering, then go back to revegging if they are put out too early. This starting and stopping and starting of the flowering hormones can affect growth and yield.

If your seedling start stretching too much, you will know they do not have enough light and you can use the 50W. Like I said, mine are just sprouting now, but they will go under a 300W light when all are sprouted.
I meant to say 18-6 and when I get the chance I will switch the lights back. I read someones post about moving plants outdoors and having them flower early, thanks for the heads up.

Latest posts

Back