homemade white widow seeds wont germ

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emuman

Reaction score
Ive put them in dirt, nothing, Ive put them on a moist paper towel in a zip top bag, nothing, do WW seeds need anything special done to them before they will grow?
I read that some strains need to be "scratched" to weaken the shell otherwise they wont "pop", could this be the case?

emuman said:
Ive put them in dirt, nothing, Ive put them on a moist paper towel in a zip top bag, nothing, do WW seeds need anything special done to them before they will grow?
I read that some strains need to be "scratched" to weaken the shell otherwise they wont "pop", could this be the case?

The 'scratching' you have heard of, is primarily used for older seeds, IMO/E. If you have "0" germination, my diagnosis would lean toward them simply not being viable for whatever reason.
Could be any number of things. Improper or lack of nutrients during their formation, prematurity, improper storage, possible damage to the embryo from mishandling, ect.

emuman said:

How 'fresh' are they?

I mean, did you try and germ them right from the plant as soon as they were done/harvested?

Seeds need to be dried and sorta aged to really be viable.

Wet

try thes 2 methods,,,,bet they work for ye..... right 1st one rub drie bean over bit of sandpaper[wood work shop] right 2nd soak for 2 days in a paper towel then get the bean between your theeth and gentaly split the bean with your teeth by biteing down with your front teeth then put back in the paper towle 2 or so days l8r youl bean will have small tap root showing/////peace. [j]

How long did you let them run after pollenating?

jesuse said:
try thes 2 methods,,,,bet they work for ye..... right 1st one rub drie bean over bit of sandpaper[wood work shop] right 2nd soak for 2 days in a paper towel then get the bean between your theeth and gentaly split the bean with your teeth by biteing down with your front teeth then put back in the paper towle 2 or so days l8r youl bean will have small tap root showing/////peace. [j]

impressive, I read this earlier and decided to bite some of the seeds that have been soaking on the moist towel for 8 days, and Ill be ???? if all 5 I chomped on arnt "sprouting", even the one that didnt crack on the seam has a 1/4 inch long "white hook"

props

jesuse said:

Shouldn't this be a sticky?

The "white hook" is the taproot.
Wetdog asked how old the seeds are and mentioned they have to be "aged", this is true.
I read recently that new seeds can be "speeded up" by putting them in a fridge (simulating winter) then allowed to warm up and germinated by your chosen method.
I have never tried this but it sort of sounds like it could work.
Peace W

.......and what about the rest of us??

Toothless-Old-Man.jpg

Hick said:
.......and what about the rest of us??
lol, looks like ya got all the sand paper you need Hick... But if ya think were gonna bite you, yer crazy..... ;)

"Stickies" are "stuck" at the top of each and every forum area. They are deemed important or helful enough, to remain at the top of each category and not be allowed to be buried in the archives.

too many stickies all ready..IMO...

The 'scratching' you have heard of, is primarily used for older seeds, IMO/E. If you have "0" germination, my diagnosis would lean toward them simply not being viable for whatever reason.
Could be any number of things. Improper or lack of nutrients during their formation, prematurity, improper storage, possible damage to the embryo from mishandling, ect.

:yeahthat:

take care and be safe

it works and well aswell i used to chuk seeds away that didnt germ 9 times out of 10 its the shell thats bit thik and the bite dose the trik it works well for me and who ever iv told of it.///[j]

Latest posts

Back