Hood on a dwc?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pax125

Ilvbd
Reaction score
I am building a bubbler and am unsure whether or not I need a hood. Also how close to keep the light and at what temperature. Your help is appreciated. I don't want to start off on the wrong foot!

If you are talking about a humidity dome, the answer is no, unless this is a bubble cloner. Then, maybe.

It's a 4 gallon rectangle tub with 2 air stones and plugs in the lid. Do I need a dome on top of that? I was using the tray and dome method but had little success. So time to try something new!I will replace the stone with jets later on.

If I understand you correctly, you are using this for starting new cuttings in it, not for growing adult plants, then yes you would be wise to find a nice clear dome to keep over the cuttings so that they stay warm and humid until they start rooting.

If you use a strong air pump to boil the water and keep the water level just under the cuttings so that the bubbles splash water onto the cutting stems, then you will not need a sprayer head. The bubbler will be sufficient, and the sprayer head(s) may be to strong in that small of a container. The aeroponics cloners use sprayers but they are much larger. I have one and sometimes it strips the soft material from some cuttings and they fail to root or are much slower to root because of it.

Yes it is for cuttings. I did not design it to be able to use a hood. The reservoir is 16x11 and the hood is 20x12. The pics I see of built ones do not have a hood such as the aerogarden. What is built looks great with the bubbles just below the actual cut.

I have an EZ-cloner that holds like 60 cuttings and it didn't have a dome, so I bought 2 big domes and rigged them together so that the 2 would be 1, and would fit nicely over the cloner. It will serve you to use it. :)

Latest posts

Back