Hortilux Super HPS vs. Cheap HPS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alistair

Reaction score
I believe it's time to buy a replacement HPS bulb. Until now I've used the Hortilux Super HPS lamp. Is the special grow light worth the extra money? I've never used anything besides the Super HPS, so I can't compare it to a standard HPS from Lowes, for example.

I have a Hortilux Blue metal halide for vegetative growth, and it doesn't work any better than my standard MH that I have. I wonder if the same is true for HPS lights?

Your help is appreciated. Thanks.

I've been wondering this myself as i need 2 600 hps bulbs and was wondering whAT EVERYONE ELSE USES ?

I was told (sold?) that my Hotilux HPS 600 was a vastly better bulb vs. a "inferior" bulb and I would reap the benefits at harvest. It wasn't too much more, so I bought it. Now that could be the hydro shop sales tactics, but he is a grower and swears there is a big difference. I guess I will see in a few months - my 2 cents.

Well, thanks, guys.

When I bought the Hortilux HPS the lady at the hydro store said the same thing. She also told me that the expensive metal halide lamps weren't all that good. A couple years after that I bought the Hortilux Blue, and I should have listened to her; it isn't all that great.

Is there anyone who has used both the standard and "special" grow HPS lamps, and noticed a difference in bud quality or yield?

I've used both cheap HPS and high HPS. The Solarmaxx bulbs are the only ones I can tell a real difference in. They are a lot redder than any other HPS. Imo, it's a waste of money to buy expensive bulbs. Theres not much difference in end product, if any.

I believe the difference is just that the expensive grow bulbs contain a small portion of light in the blue spectrum. I have been researching this a lot myself as I am trying to figure out the most cost effective options vs quality. From what I understand UV help promote the production of UV and the blue spectrum creates more UV thus having the small amount of blue would slightly increase the potency of your buds. That being said I have found a lot of information about finishing your last 2 weeks of flowering under MH bulbs. If you had high quality MH bulbs that are just the opposite as the HPS contain a small amount of red you would increase the potency even more from my understanding. The other option is adding UV bulbs along side your HPS the make your buds even more potent.

Currently I myself will be flowering under these hxxp://www.1000bulbs.com/600-Watt-HPS/38752/ and will be replacing one of them with a high quality MH bulb in the last 2 weeks to make a comparison. I may also get to 160w UV bulbs and run those along with one of the other HPS's and see what the results are.

I've been growing well over ten years now and done side by side grows with the hortilux bulbs to cheaper alternatives many times. I only use hortilux bulbs when-ever money provides. I find the spectrum produces superior growth and bud formation. You'll absolutely produce good, solid harvests with conventional bulbs but I promise you'll notice a difference. The girls just like the Hortilux more IMO.

Thanks jmansweed. I like the fact that you've done side-by-side grows using the different lights.

NAV T PLUS SUPER T this is the osram special light , ive seen a planta hps light which is new and the lumens is same 95000 lumens.
this is for a 600watts.

but the nav t plus is expensive bulb and also the planta bulb its about 20$ more.

jmansweed said:
I've been growing well over ten years now and done side by side grows with the hortilux bulbs to cheaper alternatives many times. I only use hortilux bulbs when-ever money provides. I find the spectrum produces superior growth and bud formation. You'll absolutely produce good, solid harvests with conventional bulbs but I promise you'll notice a difference. The girls just like the Hortilux more IMO.

Very true. In my oppinion can not beat the hortilux bulbs, either for veg or flower. The BEST hortilux 1k bulb is the dual ark bulb its VERY expensive but trust me it is worth every single penny.
I dont veg with mh bulbs, I root with 6500k t5, veg with hortilux 400w super hps, and flower with the 1k hortilux dual ark hps.

With the 1k dual ark bulb its a 600hps and 400mh in 1 bulb so the growth of the plants during flowering in greater than a regular hps wich has much more red in it, BUT the buds also get much bigger due to the healthier, and stronger plant due to the 400w mh in the same bulb.

A cheap hps bulb from lowes or home depot WILL work to flower any plant without a problem BUT it can NOT "touch" a hortilux bulb from 100 miles away.

When someone spends that extra buck they want to believe they are getting what they pay for.

Kinda like a friend of mine that changes the spark plugs in his truck and replaces them with some fancy expensive plugs and swears that his truck is faster and has more power. LOL

Pepper said:
A cheap hps bulb from lowes or home depot WILL work to flower any plant without a problem BUT it can NOT "touch" a hortilux bulb from 100 miles away.

Hi Pepper-
Can you quantify what you mean here?

I recently upgraded my mh (Sunmaster Deluxe) at a cost of 5 times that of a regular mh. The output in spectrum certainly seems more suited to enhanced growth, but if I had to say it was far superior in final production, I couldn't say. I am not doing a comparison grow so my results would not be very reliable- strictly subjective anyway, but I wanted to see for myself.

I have not yet upgraded my hps and may hold off until next grow unless you can give me some specific data or results.

Thanks for your help.

alshli said:
I believe the difference is just that the expensive grow bulbs contain a small portion of light in the blue spectrum. I have been researching this a lot myself as I am trying to figure out the most cost effective options vs quality. From what I understand UV help promote the production of UV and the blue spectrum creates more UV thus having the small amount of blue would slightly increase the potency of your buds. That being said I have found a lot of information about finishing your last 2 weeks of flowering under MH bulbs. If you had high quality MH bulbs that are just the opposite as the HPS contain a small amount of red you would increase the potency even more from my understanding. The other option is adding UV bulbs along side your HPS the make your buds even more potent.

Currently I myself will be flowering under these hxxp://www.1000bulbs.com/600-Watt-HPS/38752/ and will be replacing one of them with a high quality MH bulb in the last 2 weeks to make a comparison. I may also get to 160w UV bulbs and run those along with one of the other HPS's and see what the results are.

Hello Alshli (How would you pronounce that?? :p )

MH does produce more ultraviolet light than hps as mh is more in the blue-violet spectrum of light, but the output still isn't that much. Although I'm currently doing the same thing you mention.

I too am very interested in the introduction of UVB to my grows and I am currently playing with a 100 watt UVB reptile bulb. I looked at the 160 watt and assume you are looking also at a reptile basking lamp.

The problem I'm facing is that in order to achieve any measurable uvb on the plants, the bulb must be extremely close, resulting in major heat issues. I think the 160 watt would be even more of a challenge (BTW I've read that an aluminum reflector is far superior to white for UVB reflection).

I'd be very interested to see your results. I'm not yet at the point where I am doing any side by side comparisons, just strictly for my own curiousity. Good luck to you on your grow and let us know how it goes.

Hi Alistair!

SO, what did you decide to go with? Are you convinced one way or another?

BBFan said:
Hi Pepper-
Can you quantify what you mean here?

I recently upgraded my mh (Sunmaster Deluxe) at a cost of 5 times that of a regular mh. The output in spectrum certainly seems more suited to enhanced growth, but if I had to say it was far superior in final production, I couldn't say. I am not doing a comparison grow so my results would not be very reliable- strictly subjective anyway, but I wanted to see for myself.

I have not yet upgraded my hps and may hold off until next grow unless you can give me some specific data or results.

Thanks for your help.

What I mean is that if all you can afford at the moment is a bulb from lowes or home depot it is better than nothing and it will give you bud untill you can afford a better bulb, the bulbs they sell are not made specificly for growing like the hortilux bulbs are.

Pepper said:
What I mean is that if all you can afford at the moment is a bulb from lowes or home depot it is better than nothing and it will give you bud untill you can afford a better bulb, the bulbs they sell are not made specificly for growing like the hortilux bulbs are.

Did you see the pictures? it doesn't matter. dont waste your money.

BBFan, I'm a bit confused now. However, I did go to Lowes and found a 400 watt HPS. The only problem is it won't work for my M59 type ballast. I'll check out the hydro store and see what they have.

Growdude, I saw your pics. Very nice buds, but what wattage do you use, and how close is the light(s) from the plants. I can't quite remember, but aren't you the one who was able to keep your hid at 6" from the canopy? I have to keep my light at 15" or so from the plants.

I'm still using my Hortilux HPS, but I do believe it is time to replace it. I'll make a decision by Monday. I will say this, though; those of you who have said that spending big money on expensive bulbs isn't worth it, might be onto something. My Hortilux Blue certainly wasn't worth it. Perhaps it has more color in the preferred spectrum of color than the average MH, but the output in lumens is less than my standard MH. The standard, cheap MH does a better job for sure.

Latest posts

Back