Hortilux Super HPS vs. Cheap HPS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alistair Young said:
BBFan, I'm a bit confused now. However, I did go to Lowes and found a 400 watt HPS. The only problem is it won't work for my M59 type ballast. I'll check out the hydro store and see what they have.

Growdude, I saw your pics. Very nice buds, but what wattage do you use, and how close is the light(s) from the plants. I can't quite remember, but aren't you the one who was able to keep your hid at 6" from the canopy? I have to keep my light at 15" or so from the plants.

I'm still using my Hortilux HPS, but I do believe it is time to replace it. I'll make a decision by Monday. I will say this, though; those of you who have said that spending big money on expensive bulbs isn't worth it, might be onto something. My Hortilux Blue certainly wasn't worth it. Perhaps it has more color in the preferred spectrum of color than the average MH, but the output in lumens is less than my standard MH. The standard, cheap MH does a better job for sure.

Try to veg with a hortilux super hps bulb and you will NEVER veg with anything else again, I dont like mh bulbs to veg.

If you only have a 400w light you only need 1 bulb from start to finish 400w hortilux super hps 58.000 lummins, dont knock it untill you try it :hubba: :D

1 more thing :D your garden must be 100% dialed in co2, temp, air circulation, etc, for your bulbs to do what they were designed to do + the reflector you use can also affect your garden in a VERY big way, I use a medium Ajust-a-Wing reflector with a medium spreader for my 400w and for my 1k I use the same reflector but the large verson I keep my 400w 4 to 6" from the top of the canopy, and the 1k I keep it 6 to 8" from the top of the canopy, and I dont have a fan blowing throu my lights, I do have ac, osciliating fans, and exast fan in the garden.

Alistair Young said:
BBFan, I'm a bit confused now. However,I did go to Lowes and found a 400 watt HPS. The only problem is it won't work for my M59 type ballast. I'll check out the hydro store and see what they have.

Growdude, I saw your pics. Very nice buds, but what wattage do you use, and how close is the light(s) from the plants. I can't quite remember, but aren't you the one who was able to keep your hid at 6" from the canopy? I have to keep my light at 15" or so from the plants.

I'm still using my Hortilux HPS, but I do believe it is time to replace it. I'll make a decision by Monday. I will say this, though; those of you who have said that spending big money on expensive bulbs isn't worth it, might be onto something. My Hortilux Blue certainly wasn't worth it. Perhaps it has more color in the preferred spectrum of color than the average MH, but the output in lumens is less than my standard MH. The standard, cheap MH does a better job for sure.

the 'hydro' store is "IMO" still going to be over priced. Check your yellow pages for an "electrical supply" store, outlet. A contractors supply store. You should be able to purchase a 400 hps for "under" $15.
Though they 'may' have improved over the last few years, "I" tried the "extra super enhanced, multi groove, many spectrum, special" bulbs and was NOT impressed. Not worth the money.. "IMHO"

If they ask what I want it for, what do I tell them? What domestic uses are there for HID lighting? I don't want to go there and look all stupid as I say, "Er...ummmm, I don't know, my mom asked me to pick it up for her. It's her gig." Plus, remember that I must ask for a lamp for an M 59 ballast. Is M 59 specific for grow operations?

But they can also be obtained online as well. Thanks for the suggestion.

You don't need to mention, or match your ballast As long as they are 'both' 400's,(bulb and ballast) You only need to match your socket and bulb base. i.e. mogul base, medium base
But it could be a shop light, yard light, to illuminate a sign, ect.

Hello Alistair-

Isn't M59 for metal halide? I thought S51 was the 400 watt HPS ballast.

Regardless, a 400 watt HPS will only work in a 400 watt HPS fixture (at least safely and efficiently).

HPS is very commonly used for outdoor lighting as security lights and in parking lots. But I doubt you'll get the 3rd degree buying a light bulb!

BBFan, you're absolutely right! I just looked at the HPS box, and it specifically sates, "S51". I believe that is what was marked on HPS I saw at Lowe's.

Well, I decided to go back to Lowe's and get the $20.00 lamp. I don't know how many lumens it puts out, though. I'll see if I can get an idea by looking it up online. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I just researched my old Hortilux Super HPS and the Sylvania HPS I just got from Lowe's. Both are rated at 2100 K. The Hortilux is rated at 55,000 lumens and the Sylvania is rated at 50,000.

BBFan said:
Hello Alistair-

Isn't M59 for metal halide? I thought S51 was the 400 watt HPS ballast.

Regardless, a 400 watt HPS will only work in a 400 watt HPS fixture (at least safely and efficiently).

HPS is very commonly used for outdoor lighting as security lights and in parking lots. But I doubt you'll get the 3rd degree buying a light bulb!

BB maybe correct... from what I found, the M59 is a metal halide ballast. :confused2:

Yes, BB was indeed correct. I was being retarded; I totally forgot about the different designations of the two lamp types. M 59 is the MH designation and likewise, the S 51 is the HPS. I have a switchable ballast, so all I do is flip the switch on the ballast from MH to HPS, and change the lamps.

Thank you Alistair. My ballast is a M59 and I have to use a conversion bulb when I switch to HPS. Can't find them for less than $50 US. Let us know your thoughts on performance as you progress.

Yeah, BB, I'll let you all know at the end of the grow how it worked out.

I have been using the HPS bulb that I got with my air cooled 400w HPS digital from HGT. It can with their standard bulb. Ebb/Flow system 2X2 system. 4 plants (White Rhino) and harvested 81g (3oz) on my 1st attempt.

I want thinking of upgrading to an expensive bulb, but after read a lot on harvest results, I believe my harvest is within range of simular results. No expensive bulbs for me. I spent the money on the OZN-jr generator. The second best investment I made on this system (1st best investment was the light 400w).

BBFan said:
Thank you Alistair. My ballast is a M59 and I have to use a conversion bulb when I switch to HPS. Can't find them for less than $50 US. Let us know your thoughts on performance as you progress.
thanks for catching that BB ;) my reply about the ballast was misleading.

Growdude said:
When someone spends that extra buck they want to believe they are getting what they pay for.

Yup, it's called marketing.

Usually, the slight increase in performance of whatever product is vastly outweighed by the HUGE increase of price.:rolleyes:

DD

Look into Son Agro bulbs. Haven't found them in 1000w set-ups but they do have a good sales pitch just havne't seen a grow or heard testimonials from anybody other than the manufacturer so still waiting before I would buy one.

I'm pretty sure the son agro is a dual ark bulb disco, just like what pepper was talking about. I looked into them and it was cheaper to buy a mh and hps bulb seperately than 1 son agro bulb. I'm sure the son agro would be great for flowering though with the enhanced blue spectrum, I just didn't have it in me to spend that much on one bulb.

Kinda seems like LEDs at this point. I don't think the extra bous is worth the money at this point IMO.

Growdude said:
When someone spends that extra buck they want to believe they are getting what they pay for.
Exactly. I've been growing the same cut using a list of different bulbs, in different ways and stages of growth. The end product is always the same.

I've been using my cheap HPS that I got from Lowes, and everything seems to be right on schedule. That is to say, the flower development seems to be good for how long they've been under 12/12. This is week four of flowering, and the flowers look like they should at this stage. I haven't done a side-by-side test, but I'm happy with the cheap lamp.

Latest posts

Back