Hot climate outdoor grow journal. seeded 28th June

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nico

Recovering
Reaction score
June 28th 2007 1830hrs Air temp outside 79f

Late seeding for outdoor grow in hot climate. June 28th .. Test situation.

Yes I know it is late but lets see the results. Fingers crossed

Seeded 1 x opium and 1 x super silver haze in Rockwool cubes about .5 cm below surface and placed in a tray on a raised perforated plastic mat so the cubes dont sit in the water that drains out, put them in a dark cupboard with a normal outdoor thermometer reading an average temp of 68f. checked daily, no need to water as Rockwool maintains moisture, but checked just the same. First time I have used Rockwool as opposed to paper towels.

...........................................................................................................................
July 7th 1000hrs Air temp outside 82f

100% success so far

After 4 days the germination of the seeds has been successful and the shoots are now showing from the Rockwool. I have now decided to move the seedlings to a window sill that is not in direct sunlight but very light. Still no need to water just yet. A common mistake is to over water the plants in general. The climate here in Sevilla spain is very hot out side so for this outdoor grow I will have to take care with temperatures. The average temperature at the moment is 85f but is likely to rise to high 90’s to 100's in July/august.

Before moving them outside I will make sure they are hardened enough to handle the heat and shade them during the midday hours. I will move them in a few days to a sunny indoor patio window for a while to harden off.

Some will agree this is the easy part. But germination is important, no grow no blow.

So far so good.

any question or comments appreciated

Window sills have always caused plants to stretch in my experiences and observations.

TheStickyIcky said:
Window sills have always caused plants to stretch in my experiences and observations.

Thanks for the info Sticky

I plan to leave them until the can handle the outdoor heat
Its very hot here In southern spain, Dont want to kill the newly hatched seedlings just yet. I figured about a week, Or would you suggest putting them in a sunny patio window to start with?

....if possible, ease them out into the heat. Place them out in a shaded area for approximately an hour the first time, watching for signs of stress. A couple of hours the following day, slowly increasing the exposure time daily, untill they "harden" off/adjust to the environment.
MJ can deal with temps in excess of 100F outdoors, "IF" they have sufficient rootmass and are provided w/ sufficient water.

Thanks Stick, Hick and Trip

The outdoor shade temperature has been 82 since my last post.

and they seem to be fine with a little time in the sun too which is obviously alot hotter.

Seems an obvious question to ask but MJ likes the temperature as measured in the the shade, correct? so if it is 82 in the shade it may well be 120+ in the sun?

So do I ease them then from the shade to the sun using the same method, I want to avoid any stretching as mentioned by sticky

Thanks

id use the method of easing them from indoor to outdoor in the shade and then into the sun,watch for signs of harm to the plant,make sure they have water,give them water in the morning or at night when its not in direct sunlight!!!!make sure the pots you planted in are big enough with good soil!

Hick said:
....if possible, ease them out into the heat. Place them out in a shaded area for approximately an hour the first time, watching for signs of stress. A couple of hours the following day, slowly increasing the exposure time daily, untill they "harden" off/adjust to the environment.
MJ can deal with temps in excess of 100F outdoors, "IF" they have sufficient rootmass and are provided w/ sufficient water.
Will the hot climate make the plant grow slower or will it do anything to it? because where I live it is 100 in the shade most of the time if not hotter, and alot hotter in the sun and my plants outside are growing really slow. i.e. I planted one plant on 4/6 and it is only about 1 foot tall now.

Wasted said:
Will the hot climate make the plant grow slower or will it do anything to it? because where I live it is 100 in the shade most of the time if not hotter, and alot hotter in the sun and my plants outside are growing really slow. i.e. I planted one plant on 4/6 and it is only about 1 foot tall now.

Sounds like it isn't getting enough light. Does it get direct sulight or is it in the shade under a tree or something?

Yeah for propper veg growth i'd say you need 8 hours of direct sunlight. So if it's under shade all day, 100 degrees or not it's not gonna grow good. If nothing else try to find a tree that a lot of light seaps through, so you have light spots mixed with shade spots. Put the plant there that way it has shade and some light to grow to.

~Burn One~
Dewayne

I've personally learned the hard way that you can grow MJ in shady conditions. When I first started I found spots and put out plants in deep woods where they only got a couple hours of direct light a day. I learned real quickly that it doesn't work like that. You have to combine stealth and light. When my shade plants finished out at 2.5 to 3 foot with a half ounce of bud on them and my others finished out at 6 foot with 3 ounces I knew I had to make some changes. Right now all my plants that I put in the ground in the middle of may are sitting at about 5 foot.

TheStickyIcky said:
Sounds like it isn't getting enough light. Does it get direct sulight or is it in the shade under a tree or something?
It gets direct sun light from 1 to 8 so about 7 hours or so.

BLINDED BY THE LIGHT!!!!!in my oppinion put those babies out there and see what you can do! WE HAVE CLONE OPTIONS???no MATTER WHAT IS ........

DONT TRIP ON IT DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!dif nothing else<sincedeWAYNE IS RIGHT AQND YOU ARE TOO!!!!EWAYNE D IS RIGHT YET YOU ARE TOO!!!!move them indoors if your scared of the sun!!!but then your electricity will start to run!!!!!!GROW OUTDOORS,NO MAttter whAT!!!!

nothing can beat the sun!!!!!!!!

the only time i would grow my plants is if i was starting them out!

im not saYING THat indoor is lame,but outdoors is sane!!!!!!!1

you cant be caught with what you Aint got!!!!

GROW ON!!!!!no maTTER WHAT!!!

PEACE AND LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!daytripper

HAPPY 4TH OF july!!!!hope they dont get blown up from fireworks!!!!!!!!A NEW STRAIN IM INVENTI G is one of high times fav....all i can say is purpl and has pink hairs!!!!!!!

this stuff is the numkber1,i crossed with a cinderalla!!!IM SO WASTED!!!!!

Is This My Skulll??????

is this haloween???????PEACE TO All AND LOVE TO ALL ON THIS SPECIAL DAY!!!!!!

TheStickyIcky said:
Have any pictures?
Not right now but I will take some tomorrow. Also alot of leaves are dying on so Im thinking there might be a nute problem or something.:confused::confused:

Lol, day tripper, trying to get a post count up or something? lmao, why not just edit one post to put all that in it? :p And post some pics most definately wasted so we can see that problem, also check out this site, it has pictures and descriptions of typical marijuana problems, match it up!

www.weedfarmer.com/cannabis/plant_abuse_guide.php

HOpe it helps ya bro! take it easy and i'll be looking for pics! =) Good luck!

~Burn One~
Dewayne

Wasted said:

Hi Wasted

I read an article last night which suggested that over 86f photosynthesis halts, to what extent I dont know. It is suggested to buy some netting which allows for 10,20,30 percent sunlight to pass through. Im not sure whether it will help. I have now put mine seedlings in the sun as of last evening and this morning since sunrise whilst the air temp is 75f. it will reach an average of 80 during the midday hours but is expected to rise to the 90-100s in late july/august so i need to do a little more researching and will advise as soon as I have results from anyone or from answers to all the kind people out there on this forum.

Nico

Update Thursday July 5th 2007 Outside air temp 80f

No wonder people refer to them as babies. I wish I could get one of the baby intercoms so I could hear when they need attention.

Ok, Update. Planted seeds 1 week ago and they germinated.

Having listened to various members I have eased them into the sun. They now get full sunlight until the temp gets near the 85f mark as I have heard photosynthesis stops above that and growth slows to a crawl. If the temp reaches that I shade them. Then put them in the sun again late after noon for the night until the next day at noonish when the temp rises. The temp at night stays around 70f so no problems there.

Whilst taking photos today I watched a very persistant white butterfly bombing my other garden plants. It even landed on one of my Seedlings. On closer inspection I noticed two white eggs under the leaves of the plant it landed on. Now that would have been a nightmare! Eaten by catapillars at oh so such an early age. I dusted the eggs off with a small paint brush and murdered them like a serial killer!!!

Get a magnifying glass!! One can never be too careful outdoors, even at this early stage!!

Photos of babies and their future buds hopefully below
Have more seeds arriving tomorrow. Hawiaan Snow, Royal Haze and Powerplant. Might consider growing indoors as I'm not sure of the amount I am likely to get from these late growers if successful.

Opium Opium_July052007.jpg result? opium.jpg Super Silver Haze supersilverhaze27july2007.jpg result? super silver haze.jpg

Seeds arriving tomorrow.

Powerplant powerplant.jpg Hawiian Snow Hawiiansnow.jpg Royal Haze royalehaze.jpg

Thanks for all the input so far
I will keep you updated.

Nico

:fly: SMOKE AND FLY

Dewayne said:
Lol, day tripper, trying to get a post count up or something? lmao, why not just edit one post to put all that in it? :p And post some pics most definately wasted so we can see that problem, also check out this site, it has pictures and descriptions of typical marijuana problems, match it up!

www.weedfarmer.com/cannabis/plant_abuse_guide.php

HOpe it helps ya bro! take it easy and i'll be looking for pics! =) Good luck!

~Burn One~
Dewayne
I couldnt find my camra right now so I1ll post pictures later. But that guide you gave me the link to is great, and my plant looks and sounds like it as phosphorus problem but not 100% sure.

Latest posts

Back