Hot to top a plant??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bongo

Reaction score
hello...I would like 2 know if someone could tell me how to top a plant ...

Is it good idea 2 top Withe widow.. And Thx:D

The only reason you would want to top a plant is to split buds, you have no room, or you want the lower branches to catch up.
To top a plant... is the same as taking a cutting. Make sure your plant has been fed nutrients lately so she is healthy... and just make a diagonal cut with a sterilized blade above the node you want to cut down to, or you can do "pinching" and just pinch out the grow shoot at the top. It depends if you want to keep her small or not.

So if I want to keep her below or @ 2 feet just cut to suit right?She'll still flower and stuff?

caribbean_smoker_20 said:
So if I want to keep her below or @ 2 feet just cut to suit right?She'll still flower and stuff?
Yes she will still flower but be sure when you top it's during the veg stage.

So when I top @ veg stage it'll stay that way through flowering right?

caribbean_smoker_20 said:
So when I top @ veg stage it'll stay that way through flowering right?
When ya top a plant during veg it will stop growth at the top until two new shoots start. In the mean time all the under growth or side branches will grow. Even though you top a plant it's still gonna grow and stretch when put into flower.

Yeah but it will get taller once it heals and starts new growth. You want that top to flower because that is going to be your best bud. So make sure you do it well before you flower it so you can grow a bud there. If you only want it to remain @ 2feet total, I would recommend maybe topping once while very young. And then starting to bend it to keep a low profile. Or just do bending if that is what you want to do.

bobbak67 said:
So you cannot top whil in the flowering stages?

Sure you can top while flowering.... except you'll be cutting buds off.. and it'll do nothing else. the growing stage is over.... you dont want to top while flowering.

KADE said:
Sure you can top while flowering.... except you'll be cutting buds off.. and it'll do nothing else. the growing stage is over.... you dont want to top while flowering.

so if im in my flower stage and have like 6 inches left to my ceiling area, it will not grow more?

Mine always shoot up when I put them into flowering. So yes you are going to have a problem there. You are going to have to start topping sooner and/or start bending them to keep them down.

laylow6988 said:
Mine always shoot up when I put them into flowering. So yes you are going to have a problem there. You are going to have to start topping sooner and/or start bending them to keep them down.

Can I start bending now?? :mad:

i saw the film "I grow chronic" and Mr Green topping his plants after one week flowering.He says He will get two bud against one by this method..anyone tried?

Hey everyone, some of you may be unaware of what happens when you "top" a plant or use "LST" to bend over the top of a stem.

Plants have hormones named "Auxins". One of these Auxin is a hormone that is produced ONLY by the tallest growing tip of the plant. The plant "knows" which is the tallest, and studies have shown that they have a remarkable ability to recognize even a half inch difference between tip height.

This "top" Auxin makes that stem of the plant grow stronger and faster than any other stems on the plant.

When you "top" a plant, you've caused the plant to seek a new "top" stem. It takes a few days for the Auxin to reach maximum strength and be dedicated to a new "top". That's why the entire plant will start growing faster after being topped or LST has been performed on it.

Once the new "top" has been assigned by the plant, the rest of the plant will slow down while the new "top" will become the dominant stem.

When topped, two stems will usually come from the point at which you've topped the plant. The "dominant" Auxin will be split between these two stems until one becomes faster growing than the other. At that point, the tallest of the two stems will be the dominant stem.

This is all important, because the stem with this "dominant" Auxin will form the largest, most potent bud on the plant.

A MJ growers technique is to top the plant just after starting flowering so that the plant creates equal Auxins in each of the two forming buds. This will make both of the buds slightly larger than they would have been.

Using LST to boost side growth is just another way of using this "dominant" Auxin to make your plants have more stem tips to bud.

I hope this helped explain this phenomenon to each of you, and helps you improve your yields.

Just in case another person is aware of the other side of the story, about half of the scientists believe that this Auxin is an inhibitor to growth in any stem except the main and half believe as I do that the Auxin is a growth stimulator to the main.

Neither has been proven conclusively. I just choose to believe the latter.

A very good article about Plant Auxins is at:

CLICK HERE

bobbak67 said:
so if im in my flower stage and have like 6 inches left to my ceiling area, it will not grow more?

if you just started flowering over the next couple weeks the plant will double to triple its size.. topping while flowering is done during this stretch, sometime during the first 14 days of flowering.

im not sure how white widow will react to topping.. but i topped one of my AK47's and left the other one and the one i didnt top is clearly growing more bud... soo for ak atleast its not worth it.. i say try one plant and see.. but the true way would be to do it to all the same clones and then compair if its worth it or not..

I vegged my plants out really long.. but the way i did it was youll see this bush at the very top of the plant just cut about 3/4 of that off and ( least for my plants) have two exact top colas.

Latest posts

Back