how do I create an inexpensive hid light? ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LLgrow

Reaction score
I have a 100 watt mh bulb and a 150 watt hps bulb they have normal lamp bases but I need to create a fixture for then I know but I'm confused on how to do that without getting extremely complicated with electrical stuff. Any simple inexpensive way?

Both of those require a ballast to spark them...by the time you bought the components you could have just bought two small grow lights. Not worth the effort imo.

What would the cheapest place to buy the parts or fixture?

1000 bulbs.com or amazon

Anybody have any specific tips or know of good reliable posts to buy. Or a how to?

How big is your flower area?

Will you be using this light for both veg and flower?

Yes both, for 4 plants about 3' by 3' I currently have florescent and CFL lights

I made a grow light from 2 small 150W HPS security lights. We used to be able to buy 150W security lights for about $20 (I got mine at a storage unit sale for $2 each), but they are not available anymore. They worked quite well. There is a link in my sig. You are going to have to have some building skill and be familiar with simple electrical if you are wanting to build something yourself. Unfortunately simple and inexpensive usually do not belong in the same sentence...

You will need at least a 400W HPS for that space--larger if you are going to use MH rather than HPS as the MH put out fewer lumens per watt than HPS. Lighting needs are figured by lumens per sq ft--you want a min of 3000 for vegging and 5000 for flowering. You also want different light spectrums for veg and flowering. MH is okay for vegging, but HPS is better

Latest posts

Back