How do I get rid of gnats flying around potting soil?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had gnats in hydro. They are an annoyance, but their grubs (larva) will kill a plant by eating at the roots.
I would try everything mentioned since the beginning of this thread, and if that didn't work, I'd drop back six clicks and call in for an airstrike.

I've had gnats in hydro. They are an annoyance, but their grubs (larva) will kill a plant by eating at the roots.
I would try everything mentioned since the beginning of this thread, and if that didn't work, I'd drop back six clicks and call in for an airstrike.

my brother-in-law was a gunny sarge in the Corps during WWII and fought on many beaches in the Pacific Campaign

he got some big medals and they even had a few of his stories printed in some comic books

he had his men retreat somewhere on Iwo Jima and called in air strikes using his coordinates

yeah , no dropping back six clicks for Tom

big Indian dude from west texas , he was like a dad to me when I lived with them in Oklahoma , he taught me some,good survival skills

my brother-in-law was a gunny sarge in the Corps during WWII and fought on many beaches in the Pacific Campaign

he got some big medals and they even had a few of his stories printed in some comic books

he had his men retreat somewhere on Iwo Jima and called in air strikes using his coordinates

yeah , no dropping back six clicks for Tom

big Indian dude from west texas , he was like a dad to me when I lived with them in Oklahoma , he taught me some,good survival skills
It is something WHEN a person makes a difference in someones life ..every day heros..

Yes indeed.
BTW the "K" word is taboo in these parts

i thought you would get a kick out of that

it wasnt always that way , probably better that it was changed to it’s proper name of rooibos tea

i bought it at the health food store back in the 70’s when it was kaffir tea…I don’t know if it is still available under that name or not

A2606820-1A2B-4757-8ADA-53E2385E4A1A.jpeg

it wasnt always that way , probably better that it was changed to it’s proper name of rooibos tea

i bought it at the health food store back in the 70’s when it was kaffir tea…I don’t know if it is still available under that name or not

View attachment 290432
I thought Keifer was a yogurt drink mid eastern maybe

View attachment 290432
Rooibos is not the same. It's a uniquely S African product and h€ll no, it would never be marketed under that name.
That said, it's a perfectly legit word - just the connotation and association that some have attached to it that makes it not PC to use. Oh the joys of living in Africa

I have found complete eradication of Fungus gnats nearly impossible. I have tried mosquito dunks in my res, I have tried biological controls, I have tried keeping the coco dry, all of it. The issue is that every bag of medium bought has eggs in it, so anytime you gotta buy soil , your just reintroducing them back into the garden. I do use yellow sticky traps which catch alot of the adult fliers, but getting rid of the eggs and larvae, which are the root cause is nearly impossible. I have even tried everything.

I’ve read that cinnamon powder sprinkled on the surface dirt of your plant or some essential oils rubbed on the rim of your pot will help calm them down. Maybe someone has tried this here? I have a few flying around my veg area which is not in a tent. I think I will try this and see if it works there.

I've even used those Shell no pest strips in my big room. Not too sure what it does to me or the weed. If you read the instructions, it tells you not to use it in an area you'll be sleeping in. It didn't hurt the plants and I'm still alive. A few of the gnats were, too.

Root drench 0.8oz per gallon with azamax. Only treat lights off, flush it out decently when lights on. Do it again in 7 days. It will not hurt the plant. The plant will temporarily grow fat white new roots and start taking up more water. It’s a trip…

you can eradicate gnats each time - but they will return. They live everywhere and come in every crack.

Remember if you see a few flying around there are probably 100 more larva living in your root zone. When those pupate and become gnats, within 2 days each one will lay another hundred eggs in the soil.

so based on how many you see flying around and how long you have seen them, you can estimate how bad the problem is.
If leaves start dying off as you see their numbers exploding then the gnats are really infested in the root zone.

Found this.
Mix one part peroxide with four parts water, and pour it through the soil at the root zone until it begins to come out of the base of the pot. The peroxide kills fungus gnat larvae on contact.

Latest posts

Back