How do I...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flight175

Reaction score
Okay my plant is starting to get huge. The leaves are giant and the plant itself is over a foot tall. What I need to know is there any way to make it stay short?

Okay well, I tried to tie the top of my stalk to the bottom section with a twist tie. Guess what? 1 third of my plant snapped off! :eek: Well it should be alright as it should just be like topping in that it should offshoot. I put the snapped part in some soil hoping it will grow.

Tieing to me seems like the only real way to make your plants "shorter" really the stalk just changes shape although the plant is lower to the ground.
How does topping make the plant shorter? wouldn't it just give you a bushier plant with the same height as a non topped plant?

even though you snapped by accident. the rule of thumb in taking cutting is no more than 1/3 the plant mass. so your fine. I'd take the part that snapped and try to root it. incase its a female.. then you'll have 2 females to grow out.

Topping does make the plant shorter as you will not have that one main cola shooting up from the center. More energy goes to side growth. If you want to keep it real short. Do what some of us do and use a combination of both. I keep my donor plants for my cuttings topped, pruned and tied. But that takes practice as it is a lot of stress on the plant.
I will top it. wait a week or so for new growth to be pronounced, then start to tie it. When the side shoots get too tall I clip them as well. attempting to keep a well rounded plant. Almost like a bush with lots of cuttings to take.

Thank you, The Brother Grunt and Mutt for the insight! My plant looks so much smaller now. The top of it had the biggest leaves and its now left with only the smaller leaves, not even full fan. It's still looks pretty good. I'm keeping it under constant light for a while till I think it's ready to go back into dark (I usually set my light on at 11-12 at night). I put the cutted top part in some soil hopefully it will grow.

Was it in flower when this happened? If it is you don't want it under constant light because that will just add to the stress by re-vegging the plant.

No flowers on it yet, but i'm sure it is going to start soon. I will cut the light back to 12/12 when it flowers.

Yeah if its still in veg. then your good to go. So your waiting on the pre-flowers to show up?

I've examined my plant carefully and have looked over your sexing guide and pictures. Right now I see what might be pre flowers on the top part that got snapped off. I'm not sure though it could just be more leaves stemming off. I'm still not 100% sure what i'm looking for because I have never seen the difference in person. I do know there are no male flowers starting on it, because those look obvious. If it's flowering or not I know i'll be able to tell soon.

Is this an indoor or outdoor grow.
If indoor. if the lights are on 24 hours or 18 hours on 6 off. the plant is in veg.
If the lights are only on 12 hours of the day its in flower.

Sorry for not clearing this up earlier. It's an indoor grow. I usually hide it during the day when i'm not around and put it under the light at night. I do that so I can hide it from my parent who might go in my closet to put clothes away or look for a pair of shoes or something, although they generally never go in my room.

I just took the main stalk and tied it to a metal spoon. This tugs the stalk down so that its lower to the ground. My accident snap could be a good thing if the broken off part clones.

Here is a pic of one of my new transplants. I took the liberty when it was a seedling to use a twist tie and stick it into the ground to get some curves in it. Worked rather well, it's leaf-stems are alot closer and more compact as compared to her other siblings...

Still....it's easier to do when they are seedlings!

I pulled the plant up a lil bit to get a better shot, it actually has two curves in it, you only see one....rather cool!

attachment.php

07-07-06_1700.jpg

flight175 said:
Sorry for not clearing this up earlier. It's an indoor grow. I usually hide it during the day when i'm not around and put it under the light at night. I do that so I can hide it from my parent who might go in my closet to put clothes away or look for a pair of shoes or something, although they generally never go in my room.

Sorry man, but this bothers me as I'm a parent and a homeowner.
Do you know that your parents can be prosecuted and face jail time as well as have there house taken away for your grow man? If they know about cool, if not not cool.
Also if you get busted you risk losing govt' grants to college or worse solid jail time?
Dude, If you grow and live in someone elses house without a rental agreement, go OD with a guerilla grow. Not on someones property. Like state park or something. Dude, stealth grow is great, but not when someone elses life is involved without there knowledge. Just giving my opinion.

Mutt said:
Sorry man, but this bothers me as I'm a parent and a homeowner.
Do you know that your parents can be prosecuted and face jail time as well as have there house taken away for your grow man? If they know about cool, if not not cool.
Also if you get busted you risk losing govt' grants to college or worse solid jail time?
Dude, If you grow and live in someone elses house without a rental agreement, go OD with a guerilla grow. Not on someones property. Like state park or something. Dude, stealth grow is great, but not when someone elses life is involved without there knowledge. Just giving my opinion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for the advice. I have been pretty aware of the consequenses, but i'm sure a fellow grower can understand how badly I want to start growing. I'm going to look for a good spot OD and then transplant my baby ASAP. I needed to hear this out of someone elses mouth (or typed out by someone hands). I haven't told a soul about my grow to anyone besides people on this site and my girlfriend. I love my parents and do not want any harm to come to them.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This will feel like a step back for me because I started my plant outdoors and it grew alot slower. I didnt have it in constant sunlight, but still. I have another plant growing in my back yard among overgrown weeds, and it is like 1/3 of the size that my indoor one attained. I'm gonna do something about that one also
edit:

Latest posts

Back