How do u use a EC / TDS / CF Meter??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaz1873

Reaction score
Hi

ive got a EC / TDS / CF Meter..is this to see how strong the nutes are in the water??how do u know what that is supposed to be as the plant grows..is it ppm???
think ive confused myself hope u can make head nor tail of it :confused:

EC = Electrical conductivity
TDS = Total disolved solids
CF = Conductivity Factor
PPM = Parts per Million

Parts per Million is the way the meter tells you the amount of Total Disolved Soilds in you solution by measuring the Elecrical Conductivity or Conductivity Factor.
Is the meter adjustable to display the reading in EC and PPM? PPM is the most commonly used conversion but both ways work.

depends on how large your rez is. at 800ppm's your plant will be burning quickly.

it always suggested to go 1/4 strength with nutes while your plant is young- 1/2 strength when it has some girth on it. and closer to full strength when flowering.

if you are using it often (your meter) - never let it go more than a month without re-calibrating it. recalibration, depending on your make and model should be in the instructions.

here is the one i have dudes http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Waterproof-TDS-CF-EC-Meter-Hydroponics-Pool-More_W0QQitemZ230058000355QQihZ013QQcategoryZ43555QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i have a 45 litres resevoir in my nft system..i wont be using this just now as i just put the cuttings in a propagator last week..i intend to make up a 1/4 mixture of nutes when i put them in bigger rock wool..is this fine??just want to know what ppm or whatever its to be when its just rooting through small cubes with water before it gets put in bigger cubes..i heard u dont have to change your reservoir water if u just keep an eye on the mix with this meter..is this correct??

Grow journal have a look http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7554

At seedling stage ppm is typically 150-300... 2200 MAX when plants are full grown

It appears that meter will read EC and PPM. I would go with PPM, that's usually how nutrient producers label the needed levels on their charts. It appears to only have three spots for numbers do it's probably like mine. Once it goes past 999 it's going to give you the PPM and say X10 or similar. It'll say 103 but there but it'll be 1030. Give it a look,

Biffdoggie said:
It appears that meter will read EC and PPM. I would go with PPM, that's usually how nutrient producers label the needed levels on their charts. It appears to only have three spots for numbers do it's probably like mine. Once it goes past 999 it's going to give you the PPM and say X10 or similar. It'll say 103 but there but it'll be 1030. Give it a look,

im just dont know what ppm is it supposed to be...i will be puting the cuttings in bigger blocks once the roots come thru the smaller blocks..when i do this i was told to make up a 1/4 mix when i goes in the larger cubs as ive just giving it water for now..what ppm is this supposed to be??as the plant gets bigger what ppm is that to be..here is the range the meter goes to for ppm TDS: 10 - 19990 ppm..here is the nutes im using it has a chart but i dont know if i truely understand it http://www.growthtechnology.com/downloads/IONIC-Instructions-English-2004.pdf ..so confused lol
any more help dude??

I'm 90% sure ppm and ec is the exact same anyways.

Latest posts

Back