How do you dry your herb?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novitius

Reaction score
I want to know how you guys dry your harvest. I'm considering buying a 2x2 tent to dry in. I'm not excited about dropping more money on something though. Space is limited here. There are no spare closets or extra rooms unfortunately. I'd also need to share a 4" fan and filter with my 2x4 clone tent. One option was hang the branches horizontally above my lights in the tent. I'm not sure there's enough room for that.
So what does everyone do?

If you got a spare bathroom, that's what I use. Tack something up to block the window light, and hang the plants on coat hangers from the shower rod, with a computer fan going to move the air around a bit. Sometimes I put a window screen across the tub and lay buds on it to dry. I'm with you re: spending more dough - on a shoestring budget down here in Jawgia. Just jarred up 7 of my 10, with 2 still in flower and 1 still hanging.

Do you need the filter in the clone tent? My plants don’t start to stink until they are in flower. I wouldn’t dry your buds in a tent with lights either as light degrades THC. Like umbra, I dry in my flower area/tent because I generally don’t have stuff going concurrently. Something I have been thinking of trying is using a cardboard box and cutting holes in each side for dryer vent hose and running one side into one of my tents so the negative pressure in the tent pulls air into the box and around the buds. I have a ton of boxes from Christmas stuff so it is free(aside from my Amazon bill ;) ). I was thinking of running wire inside the box to hang the buddage from...

Thanks for the replies guys!
Last harvest I dried in my tent but I am attempting my first perpetual harvest.
I have like zero spare space. 4sq ft was as much as I could squeeze from the family!
I was planning on putting the filter on top in the drying tent. Truthfully, yes my veg needs filtered too. The room stinks like vegging plants and one or two are considerably pungent.
Right now, I'm planning to replace the 5x5 exhaust with a new 6" fan and filter and move the current one to the veg area. Adding a Y connecter I was going to split the exhaust and push the air though the filter instead of pulling it through.
I began looking into ozone generators and negative ionizers last evening to assist in odor control.
If going the flower room approach I was going to create a box out of b&w poly to block light. Seems like a dramatic hassle rife with problems. I'm not sure the actual weight the structure can support. I could build a simple frame from 1x but as I said I see trouble...

My flower room is long and skinny and there's a baffle between the flower area and where I have all my timers and such, and I hang them from hooks in that space. It's not pitch black but it's not in direct light, and gets the same air flow as everything else. The air here is super dry in the winter so it's less of a climate control headache.

I have one of these to dry the flowers in.
https://www.amazon.com/Casolly-6-La...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
I threw the free trimmer away that came with it. Cheap Chinese no brand that pinches your hand.
I use a fan or air mover on low. Air movement will speed moisture evaporation and discourage mold. Usually 4 to 5 days at most.
I don't have neighbors close by who can smell my plants. Thank goodness. The Sour Diesel I used to grow smelled really strong for months during the long flower cycle.
Some strains do not have a strong smell. You may want to try some of them and avoid the skunk and diesel. ;)

I dry in the flower room...I can keep the filter on with neg. pressure to control the odor. I allow a week or so to dry before next run is flipped. These hangers with gator clips serve well to hang it on...I use garden twist wire to bundle 3 or 4 limbs and hang from the clips. @ key2life...17"x 10"

IMG_20191228_145004629_HDR_34.jpg

Last edited:
I got coat hangers with clothes pins tied to it !-- Nov -- Hang U a high net --go ahead and take them off the vine and throw your buds up there in the net after U trim - U tell me light degrades THC ?-- That's where the THC was made --some indirect light won't hurt potency -- I hang mine in the grow room above the lights -- If it is not in direct light it will be fine !-- U over thinking it !-- U got an attic ?-- I have dried in the attic too !

Unlike the rest of you mooks, I dry in my veg room. I just jeep clones going on my workbench and I have my routine pretty much down to a ,,,, routine. When I harvest the flower room I fill it at the same time from the veg room. I take my clones and keep them on my workbench for however long it takes to dry the harvest and when I jar it up I put all the clones into veg and start again. Since I can control the humidity and the temp/air movement in the veg room it works out well.

Dude Grows guys are of the opinion that running a carbon filter in the drying room and even directly in the flower room is detrimental to the flavor/smells of our final product. What do you think? I don't pretend to know anything about the volitivity of terpenes but don't really make a lot of sense to me. I would think Terpenes that you are smelling are terpenes that are already lost.

Dude Grows guys are of the opinion that running a carbon filter in the drying room and even directly in the flower room is detrimental to the flavor/smells of our final product. What do you think? I don't pretend to know anything about the volitivity of terpenes but don't really make a lot of sense to me. I would think Terpenes that you are smelling are terpenes that are already lost.
I agree. Once they hit the carbon filter they're already off the plant, sooo... lol
The no no in my opinion is running ozone in the room. That will screw them up right on the buds!
Ozone belongs in the room you VENT TO, not in the room you grow or dry in. My o3 generator lives in the den downstairs so guests can't smell plants/musty basement and heating ducts/dog/American spirits/how well my digestive system appreciated my cr4p diet

I agree. Once they hit the carbon filter they're already off the plant, sooo... lol
The no no in my opinion is running ozone in the room. That will screw them up right on the buds!
Ozone belongs in the room you VENT TO, not in the room you grow or dry in. My o3 generator lives in the den downstairs so guests can't smell plants/musty basement and heating ducts/dog/American spirits/how well my digestive system appreciated my cr4p diet
I asked about this thing here last night in the OFC thread, Umbra says go negative ion instead. I have questions about that machine tho. Say I wanted to do like Stinky does and leave it away from the grow and dry in the living room or dining room. How dangerous would that be to us living things? I apologise but I've not ventured into how adding an additional molecule would affect my plants. I know it'll mess with our lungs really bad. I think we've got 1100sq ft in a ranch. No attic, super low pitch roof. Not even crawl space. You guys know I dislike my house. Dusty old house.... It is home tho! It's just short on amenities! Like a solarium. Or a basement. I'm off track. Stoned of course. Oh, yes, ok, do we need to be out of the home if it's on? Do you just turn it in for a few minutes before company arrives or does it just run pretty constantly? One last question lol, how long is it effective?
Edit: ok one more, would adding a intake filter on the flower tent, carbon or HEPA, omit the damage?

What's those things called got 2 metal plates - one positive and one negative -- Charged particles in the air get drawn to the plates ? --
O2 and O3 be different -- easiest way to explain is receptors in our body fit O2 -- O3 (Ozone) is the wrong key for the keyhole !-- Not da same !

Yeah I just looked it up, it does the same thing! It'll burn the stomata. No bueno!
I still want StinkyAttics input too.

Latest posts

Back