how early to collect pollen?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

getnasty

Reaction score
How long until the pollen sacs become usable? How long before they begin to release pollen? I need to collect some off of the male plant and destro about y it, but I don't have a second grow space to move the male to. And I obviously would like sensimilla to smoke, so I don't want to pollinate unintentional areas of the female plants. Any a suggestions? I'm thinking about cutting most of the lower branches off to focus hormones being sent to the upper balls. I'm going to paint a lower branch in a couple weeks, if I can get pollen that quickly. They are a week into flowering, tomorrow.

I usually take the male into a separate room once their pollen sacks start swelling(about 2-3 weeks). They get the day light sun from that point on, no longer a strict photo period. Keep a close eye on the mature sacks if their in the flower area.. Good luck, hope this helps!

Yeah I would move the male as soon as his sacs start forming...if ya can move him into a bathroom or such....try and keep bathroom lights on 12/12...I will tell you that if a MAle is in the same house as the females you WILL get seeds...maybe not alot but the pollen will travle from you to the girls..best of luck

take care and be safe

If you move it to an area with zero wind or breeze(closet) and watch closely, you can harvest it without fear of spreading pollen. Pollen needs wind or bugs to transfer. Just be careful when opening its area up, use rubber gloves, and move slow.

I also chop off everything but the few top branches and top it. I do that because it's easier to keep an eye on the flowers if you know where they all are on a plant. Just need one or two flowers and you get plenty of pollen.

:peace:

IMHO....pollen can transfer from plant onto you....I also dont believe you can have zero wind/air movement...even if in a closet...when ya open that door the presure alone will make that pollen float....only way Im a collect pollen EVER again is if the male plant is many miles away from my Ladies...been down that road all ready:doh:

I've done it in a closet, had it all documented here...it's how I bred my LSxOG18

The trick is to have a few flowers that you keep an eye on daily not a huge male with 10 branches, 100 nodes and 200 flowers...thats overkill ;). When they barely open, put a pill bottle under it and use some tweezers to pluck the flower. Then use a super super tiny paintbrush to put the pollen on the female.

It can be done, I have done it. I also didn't end up with seeds anywhere except where I pollinated.

Im not concerned with the pollen getting on my female. 2 days ago, I trimmed all but one main cola. Gonna take my sacs from that cola; my thinking was the same as everybody who's mentioned it here.... it'd be easier to keep track of one branch then many. It also opened my canopy up a bit to allow more intense light to hit the smaller plant that im still waiting for to show sex. It seems awful similar to my female, so I think it may be a fem, but im still waiting for it to show. Been 1in week under 12/12 - should be showing already.

Anyhow, im gonna clip the sacs/flowers off as I see them mature and swell. I check the closet during lights on 3-4 times a day, so I think I can reasonably grab a sac or two to make some beans with, and chuck the male when i'm ready to. I'll also bathe and change clothed before messing with my lady after dealing with her male counterpart.

Thanks guys!

Getting really anxious to see what kind of crop I get off of the fem... she's roughly 3 feet high from veg.

have you tried collecting pollen by placing a bag over the cola bending it right side up and just giving it a shake for the pollen to fall into the bag

Latest posts

Back