how far light from seedlings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iams

Off the leash!
Reaction score
Hello to all. I have started some bag seeds and 3 have sprouted and are now almost 3 weeks old. 1-3 inch tall at this time. Looking good as I compare to others pics.

I just got in a air cooled hood 6 inch, 25x25 glass. How far away is recommended for these seedlings? When hand is held next to plant at 12 inches the hand barely feels the light.

More info.

tent grow. 4x4x6.5
600watt light mh/hps. mh for veg. hps for flower. 6" air cooled hood.
mg seedstarter soil, perlite and lime.
inside tent temp 79-83 high and low. Rh 48%-53%
450cfm 6 inch exhaust, pulling air from light and exhausting thru floor to crawl space under elevated home. cf waiting in sideline
gh flora 3 part for nutes. just beginning the feeding at 25% of lucasformula.

/Tail wagging, with happiness in getting a proper tent setup due to advice from the wonderful people on this forum.

Iams

Also to add for others just starting out. I bought a gull wing reflector light first and that kept the tent at 87-93 degrees inside the tent as I was having to exhaust all the hot air from the tent.

With the 6" exhausted hood the inside temps of the tent are 79-83 degrees. The fan is only on 50% speed control. Aimbient temp of room tent is in is 76 degrees. The exhaust noise outside the house is gone. With the gull wing I had to run the fan wide open and still was too hot in tent. Exhaust noise under home was noticable from 100 feet from home.:holysheep:

Dont make the mistake I did and buy a non air cooled light for tent growing. Others may have better sucess but where I live, outside aire is 90+ degrees 80% of the year. Not a candidate to help cool.

/scratches fleas.

Iams.

put your arm under the light and as close as you can stand it without burning is where your plant s/b---the closer the better---that sux about the wing---who ever sold you that lamp should have told you---you need a/c to run it

No one to blame but me. I did not do the research well enough before laying out cash. Oh well, part of the learning curve. I just wanted to share a mistake so others won't make it.

Hindsight has taught me to create the growing space first, check and recheck what I will need. Read and read more. start seeds last after all the above is accounted for, and keep a log/ calander.

/ tail wagging.

Iams

plenty here made all the mistakes for you beforehand and are willing to share---sure you'll find a home for that wing one day---keep my eyes out for your GJ

Congrats on the tent. I love growing in mine.
Are you already a member of the tent growers club?
If not, come join up- it has been pretty quite over on that thread even though I think a lot of people will be pulling out the tents now that summer is wrapping up.

Thanks for sharing your mishap- I'll file that away.
I can't agree more about keeping log/calendar. Mines all color coded and looks pretty cool. Gives me something to do while I'm :watchplant:

Latest posts

Back