How hot does a 250w cfl get

Discussion in 'Lights' started by Dr.Autoflower, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Feb 28, 2011 #41

Roddy

Roddy

Roddy

Where's the popcorn emoticon? :D

You keep saying the light diminishes after 9"....doesn't that count for the CFL's too? So, after your plant reaches 8" the bottom is now lacking light?

2. Feb 28, 2011 #42

bi0phreak420

bi0phreak420

bi0phreak420

I paid 20 bucks for that bulb its 125 watts and it puts out 10,500 lumens...LOL

3. Feb 28, 2011 #43

bi0phreak420

bi0phreak420

bi0phreak420

Oh Yeah Slowmo I Keep My Bulb About 2 Inches From The Tops Of My Plants...lol

4. Feb 28, 2011 #44

slowmo77

slowmo77

slowmo77

Are you lost

so same heat, less light same price you do math

5. Feb 28, 2011 #45
    I really don't think that the Doc meant to start an argument over CFLs or other types of lights being "better" for growing, but to help him decide what was most appropriate for him in his specific conditions and affordability.

I use my dual 125 Flo over my host plants in dirt for the sole purpose of growing clones and trying to keep the growth rate *down* so I can reduce the amount of trimming I do between taking clone cuts. It may not be the most effective way to do it, but it's the way I like to do it.

Perhaps the Doc is looking for a way that *he* will be most satisfied, but where it may not be the absolute best way of being done.

Just my 1.5 cents. (Taxes got my other .5)

6. Feb 28, 2011 #46

bi0phreak420

bi0phreak420

bi0phreak420

I'm over it

7. Feb 28, 2011 #47

slowmo77

slowmo77

slowmo77

Are you lost

dang stoney, taxes only got .5 i tried to give my 2 cents and i owed a dime.

8. Feb 28, 2011 #48
    You just made me laugh longer than it took you to type that! Hahahaahahahahahaahahaha :D :rofl:

Ain't it the truth?
    Every year....Mo taxes, Mo taxes, Mo taxes...... :hairpull: :cry: :rant:
    All I can do is::48: :bong: :bong2:

9. Mar 1, 2011 #49

Sixx

Sixx

Sixx

Ummm yeah.. Light is light.... It all dimishes over distance. Im not sure the point you are trying to make here.

10. Mar 1, 2011 #50

Roddy

Roddy

Roddy

The point I am making is, I want bigger plants than the light can produce and am pointing out this fact to anyone who is reading and may be trying to decide what's best for them. If the light can only feed a part of the plant, either more light will be needed (thus more money all around) or you'll not produce as big or good a crop as you could otherwise.

11. Mar 1, 2011 #51

Roddy

Roddy

Roddy

I appreciate those who stand their ground even if not the most popular of stances, as long as we can all treat each other nicely and respect each other at the end! Your rep hasn't been hurt in my eyes, my friend!

12. Mar 1, 2011 #52

nova564t

nova564t

nova564t

I am my own caregiver

Bio, I understand that your grow methods work (I grow with CFLs also) but you need to understand that the people and mods are obligated to provide members, especially newbees the BEST way to grow. When you get short with your replies you provoke members. As a newbee you should take a little more time to understand what members are posting before you respond. This is a great source for info and would like to see you stick around.:48:

The Hemp Goddess likes this.
  13. Mar 1, 2011 #53

The Hemp Goddess

The Hemp Goddess

The Hemp Goddess

Granny Mod Staff Member Admin

No, not all light is equal. While all lights do diminish over distance, the loss of lumens is not uniform for all light sources. Some lose lumens over a very short distance, like several inches. Some disburse light over a far greater distance, like 3-5 feet.

14. Mar 15, 2011 #54

Gixxerman420

Gixxerman420

Gixxerman420

Broke-n-Tokin Tent Bonger

8-10 wouldn't run as hot as a 400 watt HPS true, we're only saying that comparable lumen levels are more expensive to achieve with cfl... You also would not have the yield with 8-10 CFL's as you get with 400 watt HPS... Not arguing your needs for a large yield, or the fact that growing with CFL's is viable.... Just that HPS is more efficient lumen for lumen!

15. Mar 17, 2011 #55

Hick

Hick

Hick

Git "R" lit

there is just SO much wrong about that statement....
    by definition, mj was "never" a weed, nor was "hemp"
    wiktionary: Any plant growing in cultivated ground to the injury of the crop or desired vegetation, or to the disfigurement of the place; an unsightly, useless, or injurious plant; A species of plant considered harmful to the environment or regarded as a nuisance
    pricton edu:any plant that crowds out cultivated plants
    websters:a plant that is not valued where it is growing and is usually of vigorous growth; especially : one that tends to overgrow or choke out more desirable plants
    wikapedia:A weed in a general sense is a plant that is considered by the user of the term to be a nuisance, and normally applied to unwanted plants in human-made settings such as gardens, lawns or agricultural areas, but also in parks, woods and other natural areas
    freedic:A plant considered undesirable, unattractive, or troublesome, especially one growing where it is not wanted, as in a garden.
    dictioarydotcom:
    a valueless plant growing wild, especially one that grows on cultivated ground to the exclusion or injury of the desired crop.
    2.any undesirable or troublesome plant, especially one that grows profusely where it is not wanted:

16. Mar 17, 2011 #56
    I may be wrong in this, but I think it's the appliance "the light bulb" that determines the throw of the light, not the spectrum. The power of the bulb, the thickness and refractivity of the glass and the intensity of the source, not the spectrum.

Lumens are no more than an International standard of the measure of the total amount of photons that strike a globe at exactly one foot. That quantity represents the intensity of the source and physical characteristics of the objects it passes through on it's way to the point of measurement.

Photons are the actual physical light itself.

I knew a "Lighting" Engineer one time. His reference books on nothing but the engineering aspects of lighting had a combined number of pages of about 50 thousand in maybe 75 books on just lighting.

There is so very much about the subject that its really intimidating.

When you say "Not all light is equal", I would further refine the statement into "Not all light bulbs are equal and the amount and type of light they produce is not always equal"

All things being equal, I believe that *If each light source was equal in its intensity, the distance each part of that light would travel would also be equal*.

For example, LEDs have different amounts of power. A 300 watt LED will have a further throw than a 28 watt LED like I use.

HIDs with more power also have a further throw.

It's not the *type* of light that creates the ability to reach further distances, but the power of the source light. Less power, less throw.

The intensity of the light when it reaches the point at which it's absorbed or reflected is also based on its intensity at its source. The equation for light intensity during travel has about 2 million variables. The ones concerned with the bulbs we use for growing and the distances we use them at radically decreases the complications to those equations and brings it to basically:

1. The initial intensity of the light.

2. The distance traveled.

Light type has very little to do with it at distances of less than a billion miles.

A 28 watt LED will travel about 18 inches before it loses its ability to be useful to a plant for full growth.

If that same LED were 1000 watts, it would have equal throw with a 1000 watt MH or HPS.

Not the same spectrum, but the same throw.

17. Apr 3, 2011 #57

Irish

Irish

Irish

Plant Whisperer...

this was a very good read, with physical evidence from real time growers that is put in layman terms that is easy for most to understand. thank you...

:cool:

18. Apr 28, 2011 #58

smokingjoe

smokingjoe

smokingjoe

What was I saying?

Dang looks like I missed a really great pissing match here. As you were.

19. May 12, 2012 #59

ShOrTbUs

ShOrTbUs

ShOrTbUs

so for the guy who created this thread...if heat & noise is the biggest issue for you. more important then yeild, cost, and energy consumption. heres my what i would do...

i forget the exact wattage it changes at, but if im remembering this correctly, up to and including a 26W cfl will run at exactly 90degrees. no matter how long you run them.

12 26W cfls will give you enough light for 4sq/f, no fan for cooling needed. but remember you still need to exchange your air, need that CO2

20. May 16, 2012 #60

dekgib

dekgib

dekgib

I was just thinking the same thing here:icon_smile: