How hot is FFOF soil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hushpuppy

Dr MadBud
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I am helping a friend set up his first grow and he wants to go with FFOF soil. He will be germing in Light Warrior soil then moving to 3gal smart pots of FFOF when they are big enough. I was wondering if it would be too much to start a light feeding while they are in veg or should he wait entirely until they get to flower? I have heard many peeps here who use it say that they like to amend it as it isn't quite strong enough but I have heard that it is rather hot, so I'm not sure which way to go.
Thanks Guys :)

Depending on how long you veg, ffof is good for about 4-5 weeks. I would start nutes lightly at 4 weeks.

It's too hot for seeds and seedlings. Starting in Light Warrrior then moving to Ocean Forest is correct.

Then follow the feeding schedule they give you for Fox Farms Trio.

hipster is correct, FFOF is far too hot for young plants but this new person is on the right track with using LW for young plants and using FFOF for transplant. personaly i didnt care too much for the FF nute trio, 2 of the 3 are chemical while the other is organic, sure they work but it is annoying to have to flush at any point to avoid salt build up and nute lockout later in flower. i prefer organic nutes but hey thats just me. i use the General Hydros, General Organic line.. works great at doesnt need alot per gal, unlike the organic FF nute Big Bloom which calls for 4 tablespoons per gal every other watering, sure its every other but thats alot. the GO line is like 1 tablespoon at the most and i think its only for 3 of the nutes, the others are half a tablespoon or half - 1 teaspoon per gal. but hey again thats just me.

I have planted seeds many times in ffof.

Thanks everyone :) he is actually not going to use the FF nute line but rather he is going to use GH's Flora 3part but wants to use soil as opposed to soilless since he is new at it. Any suggestions on a better soil mix that is simple enough for a newb?

Honestly, I think he should go soilless with something like Sunshine Advanced Mix #4 (Something LIKE it.. haha.. he doesn't have to use Sunshine, I just talk that stuff right up!)

I think He'd be better off starting out with a soil (less) medium that doesn't have nutes in it.

But.. hey.. I'm a noob too! So maybe my thoughts aren't the best, but alas.. there they are. :aok:

I think ffof is a great soil for a newbie. I still use it when my ss is not made up, like now. I got Happy frog this time and will start nutes at three weeks veg. It is a great way to start.

Cool. Thanks guys. Thankyou Rose, I figured that FF would be a good way to go for someone who knows very little but wants to learn and is eager to get going. DGF: I seriously batted that idea around a few times and considered going that route, but I don't think this guy is ready for that level of growing yet. I think I will stay with the original plan at this point :)

dont let my comment about the nutes overshadow what i said about the soil, LW is perfect for young and nute sensitive plants, FFOF is a bit hotter then LW but after a few weeks in veg the plants will absoutly love that FFOF, nice and hot when they want and need the boost, id put a layer of peralite or additional LW in the hole of FFOF during xplant, sometimes but not so often FFOF seems a tad hot right off the bat, give those roots a little barrier so to speak between the root ball and the hotter mix (FFOF) let the roots find the hot food and adapt to it as they seek it out, dont wanna burn the roots during the x-plant. not really necessary but i feel its better to be safe then sorry if you happen to have a sensitive strain.
just wanna say in no way am i knockin the soil its what i started with, and its great, a more experienced, more organic geared grower may ammend with some extra goodies but its not necessary, especially for a novice.

i put my seedlings directly into FFOF with a barrier. 3-4" of 50/50 castings/perlite does the trick.

keep in mind the smell factor of those soils. ;) (I think ffof smells like fishing port).

a lot start in mg seed starter I see, then step up to a bag soil/soiless mix. never tried the mg seed starter myself, but do see it written a lot. the 'stepping up' process is more about getting a look at your roots, as it is potting up/building bigger plants. feed the roots. happy roots = happy plant...

good looking out for your friend hushpuppy. props...:cool:

Latest posts

Back