How I isolate Delta 9 THC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EugeneOregon

Reaction score
This is dispensary extract that has soaked over night in rubbing alcohol. 70% isopropyl/30% water.
90F3C82B-3914-4B20-9AB1-8E4C01425F98.jpeg

After the extract in rubbing alcohol was pulled through an aluminum oxide column all of the waxes virtually have been removed. Then it was loaded into my horizontal distillation rig which I use only to remove the terpenes. Shown below with terpenes collected in first bulb.
4650D595-511D-40E1-8BC0-25380D4A8C03.jpeg

90F93D01-D2B1-4729-BD49-A6C24185BB55.jpeg

The crude now with terpenes removed is transferred to a cryogenic sublimation apparatus used as a short path device.
AD50B102-50FB-48A7-951F-44B1A6933222.jpeg

Multiple runs through the device increase purity. This shot shows the final pass. Prior to last run I perform a Dry Column Vacuum Chromatography run to remove trace compounds that get generated during initial distillation. Then a final pass in the apparatus seen below collecting Delta 9 isolate on the cold finger. Temperature is 135C nominal set at the heating mantle and pressure is reported by the Pirani based gauge at ¾ of one micron. Atmospheric pressure is typically 760,000 microns and a theoretical perfect vacuum is zero microns. ¾ of one micron is a very deep vacuum. So deep in fact that gas molecules are so scarce that the stop bumping into one another before they hit the glass walls inside. This is called mean free path molecular flow conditions and within it gas molecules can only travel straight lines. All gas that contacts the icy cold finger is deposited and harvested later.
2826FB0D-EBF6-4D7C-B669-745914114DB5.jpeg

This is Delta 9 THC isolate harvested straight off the cold finger.
2FEED265-0F67-4745-9190-6A26E2B69CE7.jpeg

9D191AA6-9683-4DB1-878F-9BF0F05163B0.jpeg

All thermal byproducts have been removed with a Chromatography run over standard gel prior to the last pass. Here is a link done on crude to show how the DCVC Chromatography works.

https://future4200.com/t/dcvc-high-column-load-run-on-crude/748

Last edited:
Wow! That's really cool.
Just out of curiosity, how much weed did you start with to obtain that much delta 9 isolate?

Wow! That's really cool.
Just out of curiosity, how much weed did you start with to obtain that much delta 9 isolate?
I started with one ounce of already made up concentrate from my OMMP grower. What is shown is not the totality of the harvest but rather just the first harvest off the cold finger. After the layer gets too,thick it begins to drip off the finger so is harvested. Then it is put back together to collect more. Since this is just personal use I generally just harvest once then put it all back together and pull a vacuum then lock it. Then I come back later to run it when I need more. Recovery of THC is nearly 100% with this device.

Once THC gets to absolute purity it degrades to red CBN in the presence of atmosphere RAPIDLY. So I store everything under vacuum but I have to break vacuum to grab my dabs. It still begins to degrade from just that much exposure grabbing a bit to puff but so slow it is not an issue.

Left out it turns ruby red in about four days. When it has gotten just slightly pink after a day I find it to be much less cosmic high and much more enjoyable and frankly a bit giggly sort of high and very relaxing. About day three and four though of still allowed to age in open air it loses the “kick” of the high and becomes highly sedative. Very effective for sleep at that point but for me if it gets to that point I toss it back in and run it pure again.

Latest posts

Back