how legal is it in canada

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"il"-legal...though I believe they do have some medical provisions.

When I was 17 I was with my Aunt who lives on the Eastcoast, and she told me "We should find some marijuana, I hear its really good here, and it would help my back pain." It was soo wierd because she never smoked before, but I guess if it helps her pain...

Yeah they were slack on the law for like the last 10 years until the whole Marc Emery thing went down. Now they are getting a bit stricter again

its different in parts of the country from others. in bc - the rc's look the other way most of the time. in alberta, they dont approve and come down hard. in sask they dont give a damn. in manitoba and the yukon - its ok. but in the east; its hard time.

yeah pretty much what astra said is right...i lived way over the other side of Canada for years in Ontario and now the past year in BC

what i have noticed the same about both of these provinces is that if you do get caught with a small amount the cops don't even write it up...they just take it away ;) and probably have themselves a nice relaxing free smoke after work

a friend of mine back in Ontario got caught with well over a pound of weed ...14 grams of mushrooms and 3 hits of XTC ...he ended up only getting 60 days house arrest :rolleyes: (and this was a RAID..LOL..they thought he was some big dealer)

thats not even the funniest part ...he only had to serve his time on weekends ...in the house by 6pm friday evening and allowed back out Sunday evening at 6pm...and this counted as 3 days

tell me again the system isn't messed up? but hey...I AM NOT COMPLAINING....keep those laws lax and stay outta my garden :p

in my trading area or rural area there is a grower who moved here from the coast. he got caught with a grow op there and decided that he would go somewhere less city. he and his son got into a vicious fight and his kid ratted him out. drove to the rcmp station drunk - the son got 6 months in the slammer fer this. he got checked out and they took 1 light and 4 oz. of mj. 3 weeks later, he's sitting home with power on and everything quiet and said to himself - what the hey and started up again. while trimming his crop; a neighbour noticed the smell and the rc's came to visit. he said, ya i smoke weed on the deck all the time and the cop left. went and got a can filter and is doing another crop as i type.

i hear ya astra....everything is so much more lax here in BC

having lived in Ontario and here now...this is way nicer here and laidback in their MJ views

in ontario you do get punished...but for most its just a slap on the wrist...and even less here in BC...here is most definitely the friendliest MJ place i have ever been

i would imagine maybe this is different for the large commercial growers...but us who are just doing it as a hobby for personal consumption are pretty much left alone it seems ...as long as we are respectable people...and keep our mouths shut ;)

dont flaunt it. dont steal power. use stealth methods and common sense.

astra007 said:
dont flaunt it. dont steal power. use stealth methods and common sense.

As silly as it is, it also helps to look as "harmless" as possible. For years I had hair I could touch my ass with and a full beard. That was my trademark sort of. One year, I cut it off and gave myself a buzz cut. I started wearing overalls with suspenders and work boots. You wouldn't believe the difference in how people treated me. It was almost like I had dropped on Mars. I started getting "sir" all the time, and people got so friendly. A week before, I got looks like I was Manson on bail.

Freakin people are weird. No kiddin.

If you look like a radical, long haired pot smoking tough guy with lots of black, biker colors and an attitude, the cops live for screwing with you.

Been there, done that. Now cops hold the door open for me and sir me to death. If they only knew.

Alaska got a idiot governor a few years back and this tool was on a mission to recriminalize pot. We have been legally allowed to have up to a quarter pound in our house since the 1970s, until two months ago. So they made it illegal for a month and then the state supreme court partially over rode it saying we can have only one OZ legally. Big deal, we can still smoke legally and grow a few plants here which is more than i can say for the rest of North America. This only applies in your home, if you go out in public smoking and carrying they can bust ya.

Big deal, we can still smoke legally and grow a few plants here which is more than i can say for the rest of North America.

there are 8 or 9 states and at least some of the provinces in Canada, that have a medical provision, where as a medical user or provider, it is just as legal as Alaska. Maube even more so. California, in some counties for example, you are allowed to grow up to 99 plants without fear of prosecution by state or local authorities.

yes hick; note the local and state. its the federals that come after you in canada and the u.s.a. they are meaner then all the others combined. legalized mj medical growers have been terrorized and flamed by the media over actions of the feds in canada, i imagine its the same in the u.s.a.

astra007 said:
yes hick; note the local and state. its the federals that come after you in canada and the u.s.a. they are meaner then all the others combined. legalized mj medical growers have been terrorized and flamed by the media over actions of the feds in canada, i imagine its the same in the u.s.a.

Right you are! The law statutes in California do allow for the consumption of MJ with a valid 'Cannabis Card', you have to have a medical condition to get it tho. However, this only protects you from local authorities in your county. With the 'Cannabis Card' you can grow 3-5 plants and can consume it in public. However, most local LEO's will still bust you for it, only because a Federal law still labels MJ as an illegal and controlled substance. For one year or so, we had mom and pops cannabis shops popping up everywhere, to seel MJ to people with Cannabis Cards. Since the card was medical related alot HMO's and other medical organizations were paying for these drugs. The Feds came down hard on them and put pressure on them, and alot of medical orgs now do not allow the use of MJ as a medical reliever or aid.

Even with a cannabis card you are not safe, they can be bought for $500 from certain doctors. Just complain u get migraines...

With so many other drugs out there that do effectively more harm than others, like Alcohol which kills hundreds of innocent people a day! The governments will not ban alcohol as it is major for of revenue in the form of DUI's. This is sad to think that our government wont ban something that does so much harm, jus so they can make a buck from the people!

I personally have written to my local congressman/senator/mayors and other political leaders in complaint of this. I urge the rest of you to do the same, whether or not in the USA to do the same.

Ok, im done!

*steps off of soap box*

Greeny :cool:

I wasn't talking about medical use. Every citizen in the state has been allowed to have up to a QP in their home for 30 some years and while the feds could use their laws they NEVER have in someones home in alaska for a QP. It's a different ballgame when a states constitution says it's fine to possess and use MJ in your home compared to "some" counties looking the other way occasionaly depending upon who happens to be charge. No one here is ever paronoid about the cops busting down your doors for a few plants and your stash because it's LEGAL. A lot of busts in the state though, everyone takes it from the legal place (their home) to the illegal place, outside their home.

However, most local LEO's will still bust you for it, only because a Federal law still labels MJ as an illegal and controlled substance.
..?.."local LEO" can't legally arrest you unless you have exceeded the guidlines mandated in your state legislation, or they have some type of "Federal" authority.
There are also some areas/counties, within the states, where I understand "local leo" has made it(mj cultivation, possession) THE lowest priority criminal activity.
On more than one occasion, our "State Supreme Court" has ordered the feds to return growing eauiptment and homegrown meds to medical users that were within the bounderies of the state law.
ZZZZZZThe feds haven't done it, as they are still operating under the U.S. supreme courts ruleing that federal laws political name state legislation. But at least the state has fought them. It isn't a matter of "some counties looking the other way"...It is the law..
'Tis a shame AK has "regressed" while a good portion of NA has progressed in that area. Is it an election year this year in AK?...Might be an excellent time to contact your state representative and local politicians up for election and get their views on where they stand on the issue, and let them know where your vote is going to be cast in relation.
Herer's a link to a 'grassroots' movement currently gaining momentum in CO. Enough names have been collected to get the initiative on the ballot this fall.
SAFER CO

"EXACTLY" the same astra!

i agree with all of you . its also legal where i live as long as i dont get caught .

hick, thar is 1 problem in canada; there-in that the rcmp are municiple, provincial AND federal, all in 1. therefore when they come, yer screwed. but the yukon is akin to alaska and bc gets it to in the northern half. therefore how do you prosecute some1 for something that that courts threw out in northern bc. in the south fer med users, its harrassment and training excersises fer the troops.

Latest posts

Back