How long are seeds viable?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbudsbruddah

Senior Smoker
Reaction score
I ahve had all my seed sstored for about 3 years in a dark cool dry place. Whats the odds any of them will germ?

I have had 5 year old beans germ and grow out fine.

HomieHogleg

I've had 15 yrs old seeds grow. you never canm tell for sure til you drop them and see. just keep them moist and warm for up to 40 days and if they are going to grow, they will.

good odds they will germ

ozzydiodude said:
I've had 15 yrs old seeds grow. you never canm tell for sure til you drop them and see. just keep them moist and warm for up to 40 days and if they are going to grow, they will.

This makes me think I need to have more patience when germinating. I know I have given up on a few seeds after a couple weeks of nothing.

40 days...... I would have never thought it.

Yo Ho Ho N,

I am guilty of quitting on a few beans myself. Last year I put some beans into peat plugs early in the spring. I waited on two of the beans long after the others had popped. Out of sheer frustration I tossed them after seeing nothing for better than three weeks.

I actually ignored the little buggers as I really did just toss them into the mulch pile next to the greenhouse. It was several weeks after that when I was grabbing some bark for my bromiliads that I noticed one of the beans had sprouted just recently. It could not have been more than two days above the soil.

I learned my lesson, and now I do use a warming waterproof pad, and I will wait up too and including a full month. So yeah, it do happen.

As a side note, I have successfully stored beans for better than ten years, but I do think that after a few years they do start to lose some ginger. It might also be that genetically some are
able to out wait serious droughts. I hold to the idea that Sativa's are more likely to survive the longest, but that is just a theory...

smoke in peace
KK:cool2:

phew, I have some cup winning beans that are going on about 9months in storage and I was worried they would be harder to pop, Ive never had to wait more than 2 weeks for a bean to pop but Ive never waited 9months to soak a bean either.

Latest posts

Back