How long can I keep my plant in a small container?

Track

Reaction score
So far, I have about 7 clones from my new bubble cloner that have been transplanted.

The problem is, I don't want them to get too big so that the new clones which I will transplant in about 5 days will get to be the same size.

So, can I keep the clones in small containers so that they stay small, and if so, for how long before they become root bound?

Thanks.

Reaction score
IME, no. I think that you will find that keeping them in small containers will not necessarily keep them small, it will only make them rootbound. I think that you will also find that even clones from the same mother are going to have some variations in size. You are going to be wanting plants over a onth apart to stay the same size....I just don't see that happening.

I am not sure how much room you have, but 7 plants are quite a few if you plan to veg them for any amount of time. How big is your space and how many plants were you planning on flowering?

WeedHopper

Staff member
Bud of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I know a few that grow in 3 gal containers all the way thru,,and they have nice Harvest. We had a few fun times here where Peeps grew out of Medicine Bottles,:farm:,very cool.

Rosebud

Organic dirt farmer
Reaction score
Hey WH, i flunked that grow. lol

THG has answered beautifully.
I have seven plants now and it is a handful. I tried to keep them small, they are in 3 gallon pots and are not small.

WeedHopper

Staff member
Bud of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I remember Duck. Those were the coolest grows. Yours was awesome.

St_Nick

Two_Toke
Reaction score
Hey PC DUCK, is there a link to that grow? I need a good read & I like stuff like that.

Track

Reaction score
IME, no. I think that you will find that keeping them in small containers will not necessarily keep them small, it will only make them rootbound. I think that you will also find that even clones from the same mother are going to have some variations in size. You are going to be wanting plants over a onth apart to stay the same size....I just don't see that happening.

I am not sure how much room you have, but 7 plants are quite a few if you plan to veg them for any amount of time. How big is your space and how many plants were you planning on flowering?
Thanks.

What I found was that you can use Air Pots to solve the root bound problem.

But at this point, I'm considering getting rid of my 2-month cycle entirely and just continuously cloning, vegging and flowering the plants as soon as they come in.

Not sure which one is better. Those Air Pots are a bit expensive (about $4 a piece here).

Reaction score
I have a separate vegging and flowering space and I pretty much do the continuous clone, veg, flower thing. Part of the reason is that I find it impossible to sit and trim for days on end, so having plants come ready a couple at a time at somewhat regular intervals works best for me. You may find that too.

That is about what air pots cost everywhere.