How long can plants last without water?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flight175

Reaction score
:confused: I'm gonna be out of my house for a week and was wondering if plants can live without being watered for a week. is there a best way to achieve this or is it just not possible?

All ya need to do is put some wics in the drainage holes. Like tied up cotton or Tiki torch wics. Put em up at least a 1/4-to 1/2 way into the soil. Leave the wics out. Put in a tray of water and this will self water the plant for your week with no worries of drying out as the capilarry action of the soil will pull the water as needed this way. You can do it without the wics but I found better result using them on my normal potted plant.
At wal-mart if they haven't cleared the racks out. They have a self watering pot for a few bucks. ;)
A week is pushing it a little without being able to check on them. I think they could be fine, but it depends how big they are and if they are slightly rootbound. If slightly rootbound it will drink up water every two days. Very rootbound every day.

thanks a lot for the info mutt! so you just put the wiks in and let the pots sit on a tray of water like normal? you don't have to suspend the pots above the tray or anything do you.

here is what i got so far. a few cheap floros with some bag seed plants. i just got my NL seeds in the mail and hopefully i'll recieve my 400watt hps soon :)

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10772&stc=1&d=1160865080

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10773&stc=1&d=1160865080

Picture2345 003.jpg

Picture2345 004.jpg

Thats it man, I would suspend em a little. so the sit flat. but not much really to it. the wic does the work for ya. ;)

;)
flight175 said:
:confused: I'm gonna be out of my house for a week and was wondering if plants can live without being watered for a week. is there a best way to achieve this or is it just not possible?

I use coconut fibre as a medium i find in a decent sized pot once you have given the coco a good watering you dont have to water for 3 days whatever,get a base for the pot and put some water in there and im sure you can go for 1 week and they will be ok

i dont do it but when i grew outside in a very hot climate i used water crystals in the soil and only had to water once a week but i always had a base under the pot,really if you are going to use a base let it dry out dont keep water in the bottom all of the time.

Latest posts

Back