how long for pollen???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imsoborednow

Reaction score
Can anyone guess how long I gotta wait for pollen. Have flowered two plants (white widow/pure power plant) unlucky to get BOTH male, but I want to collect some pollen for future use. (at least it will give some meaning to waiting 9 weeks for nuffin.......) I destroyed one plant ...the other is in my back yard ( I chuck a garbage bin over it at 9pm and take it off at 9am to keep the light cycle) . How should I collect it. How long have I to wait ?
1 week since sexing 2 weeks since flowering initiated.....

For one thing that is one twisted Avatar.

Two You can't store pollen for the length of time your wanting to successfully. You could force them back into veg and wait until your next grow. but Pollen won't keep that long well. IMHO. I have heard of people not washing down the grow area and germinating a new grow. but I think it was a hermie and not the male pollen.

I have successfully stored pollen in excess of 1 year. It must be in an airtight container, with a descicant, and frozen. Once thawed, it must be used immeadiatly.
You can start collecting as soon as the flowers start opening up.

Hick, How did you handle the pollen when collecting?

I've only had pollen last a month. and still mold.

hey mutt...I like to "collect" it by setting a branch over a mirror. The released pollen is easily scraped up with a dbl edged razor blade. I collect on a daily basis. Make sure to remove "all" plant material. I use a 35mm film vile with several grains of rice, or a descicant package from meds. Then "freeze" it. You only have one shot at defrosting and use. So if you're thinking of multiple uses, a few seperate packages is required.
It may NOT work everytime, or under all conditions. I've only done it a couple of times. But was successfull on both accounts.

Pollen will start to fall between 2 and 3 wks, (17 days in my case). I use a mirror and lean the branch over it then shake the branch. Then I let it dry a few days and collect it to an air tight container with rice and decasent in the fridge. I used this pollen to make good seed for my last grow of widow. The pollen had been stored 2mo this way, and is still stored. I'll be using it again on my next grow to see how long it will last. I think the key factor here is "dry and cool"...

Thx , I got a couple of hindu's in 4 weeks flower I might try pollenating one bud on that, waddya fink? gonna paint it on with a paintbrush real careful. any advice would be !........looked at carefully :) Should look for pollen about now then, good cos im sick and tired of having the bin method,I mean I gotta put shoes on an everything!!!

i cut my tops off and shake it in a 1 gallon ziplock freezer bag saves a little time but same principal.

Latest posts

Back