How long should Hanna pH probe settle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FemmeFatale

"Imagine no religion"
Reaction score
I'm using a Hanna "checker" pH meter. I notice it seems to take FOREVER for the reading to stabilize and stop switching the reading. I'm talking about 1/2 hour or longer until it finally stops, it changes very slow, but seems like it takes a long time. Batteries are good and I calibrate it properly. I have been using this meter for over a year and it has always done this. Is this the norm? ..thanks.

Howdy FF

Hmm, Mine only takes a minute or 2 max. How much of a change in the reading from say 2-3 minutes to 15minutes or so?

Is your water moving or stagnant?

mine does this too. I notice when I move the meter back and forth or in circles in the nutrient soultion the ph reading drops. It has to do with how the meter is reading the (EDIT, I meant ph). What I do is move the ph meter in the solution to bring the reading down, then stop moving it and wait to see if it starts going up.

-SSF-

Budders, are you using the same type of meter? if so...yours doesnt drift at all????

ok...i have my meter, i just dropped it in my RO water. started at 9.4 it has dropped to 8.43 after 2 mins...still dropping

FemmeFatale said:
Budders, are you using the same type of meter? if so...yours doesnt drift at all????
Mine is a hanna, ph only, and it's red. Not sure if it is the "checker" I've had it awhile.

I do pretty much exactly like SSF. I have noticed it usually starts where it left off. If it was 6.2 last time I checked, and I adjust ph, when I dip it back in it says 6.2 and then drifts down to 5.6 over a minute or so. Drops .2 each second til it gets close... and then .1 every 2-5 seconds til it's at the correct reading.
As SSF does, when I swish it around it gets there much quicker.

Mine only reads to tenths,, 8.4 or 8.5,, no in between. Must be different meters but I still think that 30minutes is wayyy to long.

FemmeFatale said:
ok...i have my meter, i just dropped it in my RO water. started at 9.4 it has dropped to 8.43 after 2 mins...still dropping

You have swirl it around some dont just let it sit.

:yeahthat:

Not sure which one you use but this is my Hanna. Yout gotta stir it around and not let it sit. Mine has a symbol on the screen that pops up when it has a "stable" reading. It takes me about 60-90 seconds (mine reads to two decimal places too)
ph meter 001.JPG

-SSF-

Seems to have finally stabilized after 30min at 7.12 I grow in soil and the water is EXTREMELY hard here. Natural spring waters. I understand hard water is actually good. so I'm trying to use RO to take out most of the hardness, which is 215ppm

i use a the hanna checker also and mine takes a few minutes to get a good reading. it will drop pretty fast till it get close then it moves .01 at a time then when it hits the right ph it will jump from say 6.49 to 6.48 back and fourth.

Latest posts

Back