How long to wait to use seeds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dubbaman

A few toke's a day.
Reaction score
Title is simple and really the question at hand. I had a problem here and my house was broken into. Fookers took everything that wasn't nailed down. All electronics and things that were thought to be of value,my grow and equipment was taken too. I have a few seeds that i had plucked off the gals before they decided to be moved out on me. Will i have to wait for them to dry or could i go ahead and plant them now so i can get back to growing the strains i had that poof-ed away with thieves in the night, though it was during the day i was hit.

Stoneybud said:
I would try germinating one of them and see what happens. With the number of hybrids today, there is no telling what your specific seeds need. Some need a freeze, some don't. Some need to be dried, some don't. If someone tells you *exactly* what your seeds need without having even seen them, their blowing smoke up your butt.

The only real way to tell is to germinate one. If you have enough to waste, just try germinating enough for your crop. If they don't germinate, then try a freeze.

In nature, most MJ seeds have a winter freeze before germinating in the spring after the soil stays above 50F. Some strains are in areas with no freezes.

As a result, some need the freeze, others don't.

Sorry man, that's the best answer there is.

This is an answer i got from a P.M. Thanks SB for the great info and sorry if you get offended for me posting this here but the info is valuable ;)

Myself, I wouldn't actually 'freeze' them. If they aren't dry enough, the moisture inside could expand, splitting the seed and ruining it.

What I would do is put them in a dry, airtight container (film can?), with perhaps some rice in it to absorb moisture and put them in the veg crisper of the fridge. It will be cold enough for the freeze effect without actually freezing them. Like above 32*, but below 40*.

After a week or so, I would do just what SB advises. Try and germinate 1 or 2 and see what happens. If nothing, wait another week and try again.

As SB said, there are no hard and fast rules, but obviously the seeds need to dry out some, otherwise, in nature, the fresh seeds would sprout as soon as they dropped and be killed by the first frost. Something keeps them from doing that and waiting till the following Spring before sprouting.

BTW, when you take them out of the fridge, let them come to room temp before opening the container. Avoids condensation on the cold seeds.

Bummer about the rip off, but I'm glad you had the foresight to tuck some seeds away.

DD

Latest posts

Back