How many PARs is enough?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiredtony

Reaction score
Hey everyone..my first post here from me. Love the forum and seeing everyone's grows. I'm an Englishman living in Thailand. I grew 20 years ago back home with HPS and flood and drain tables. Now I'm just experimenting again with some of my smoke seeds. So what about the amount of light weed needs..or PAR? I've read that 400-600 is enough for veg (even though Ive seen a professor say under 500 cannabis doesn't grow) and then 600-900 for flower.
So i have an led grow lamp..its a cheap screw in 150w from China..Its 4" diameter and at 6" the PAR reading in the middle is 700. I realise its very small, but i just want to grow 1 plant for cuttings first what do you reckon? Also I move the plant to the balcony during the day maybe 6-7 hours, not in direct sun but this is the tropics and the PAR is about 1500-1700. Any more thoughts?

I'm also from the way-back machine (HID/fluoro style and just kinda think in terms of hps watt equivalents which is like answering in hogsheads per cubic cubit when you need to know something in g/L lol) and can't help much with PAR recommendations, I just popped by to say welcome and your username is perfect. It's kind of a Mood right now!
Edit: no one better come up with an actual conversion factor for that I'll die of groans n giggles lol

I'm also from the way-back machine (HID/fluoro style and just kinda think in terms of hps watt equivalents which is like answering in hogsheads per cubic cubit when you need to know something in g/L lol) and can't help much with PAR recommendations, I just popped by to say welcome and your username is perfect. It's kind of a Mood right now!
Edit: no one better come up with an actual conversion factor for that I'll die of groans n giggles lol
Keep your metric system to yourself, satan! I get 17 rogdles to a hogshead; 19 hogshead to a gimdanger and thats the way i like it!

Its pretty easy to understand but a bit boring.

Keep your metric system to yourself, satan! I get 17 rogdles to a hogshead; 19 hogshead to a gimdanger and thats the way i like it!
You wanna step outside? Oooohhh... yer gonna... ummm... yer gonna...have to try this joint I rolled for you and I just remembered what your hobby is and yes hogsheads are a valid unit of measurement sir!

Distance: how far can it be hurled by an average sized Scot?
Mass: when full of mead, how many can be carried at once by the same guy?
Volume: how many can he drink before he has to lift his kilt?
Yup it's versatile all right

How does anybody measure anything without a hogsheadometer in their tool bag?

Its pretty easy to understand but a bit boring.

Yeah Ive seen this guy..he says about weed sleeping until 500 and going up to 3000 (full sun).
I get 1800 on my condo balcony..no direct sun until the last 2 hours of daylight..we get 12 hours here.
I'm getting a "QB288 Quantum Board V3 Samsung Lm301h Mix Epistar 660nm (3000K)" in a month to put in a 80x60x170 wardrobe with fans and all the shit so I'll let you have a look when its done.

Hi tired tony, this is my first post as well. Your post caught my eye because of something i just went through. I watched the exact same video and have built my own LED array. I'm using a 2'X3' grow box and up top was using 4 100w LED chips, 2 are warm white and the other 2 bright white. I started with 9 seedlings and had my lights set at 400 PAR. when the plants sprouted their 1st full set leaves I gradually started to lower the lights to achieve 650-700 PAR. A week later I started having major problems, the plants halted all growth and started showing stress symptoms. I was worried sick and started reading like crazy. I was over watering, so bought a meter, let everything dry, then looked like nute problems, please remember I'm a newbie at this so panic was setting in. Tested PH, and full soil test, everything was in good range. Then it happened, found something in one of my reads, sorry, can't remember where exactly. Article stated that LED light is a different animal and has a very high concentration of light, which I still don't get, I figured PAR is PAR. anyway, sorry for carrying on, I turned off 2 of the lamps, now leaving 2 100w LEDs and 2 smaller LED multi color bulbs (14w each) down lower. Set PAR at 250 on the short plants (only 2 left but healthy) and 350 on 1 taller plant (8 inch but bleached, didn't know that then) that was 3 days ago. No kidding, overnight the plants responded, they have grown close to an inch per day. The article I read stated "every strain is different", now this makes sense, it said to start out with lights high and see how the plants react, if they stretch drop the lights in increments of 6 inches until they stop stretching. Now to all the regulars on this forum, thank you, I have learned so much in the last 4-5 weeks from all of the helpful hints. I hope I haven't annoyed anyone with my amateur approach, sometimes I read too much of the wrong things but the mistakes help me learn. thank you for reading and good luck!

Interesting findings indeed, maybe just too much of the wrong light. I'm all for more is best so I think we should be aiming for 1000 whatever the stage. I've got a 4 day old seedling 9 inches away from a 100W Led grow lamp at 700 PAR from 6am until 8am, then it goes on my balcony, not in direct sun but always more than 1500 PAR until about 5pm (the last 2 hours have full on 3000 bright tropical sunlight). Then it goes back under the lamp until midnight for its 6 hours rest Humidity is my friend here but temperatures rarely drop below 35 C.
Anyway the little baby is thriving, I've never seen anything grow so fast.

Latest posts

Back