How much ac in the summertime?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganjaguitar11

Reaction score
Hi,

so I just moved onto my buddies property here in nor cal and I'm setting up a 16x16x10 legal growroom with 12 aircooled 600 watt lights and co2 enhancement and people are telling me you're nuts for running a growroom in the summer in nor cal where it can get up to a hundred degrees and I'm saying that's what a big old honken ac unit is for but since it never got above 85 where I used to live and the space was much smaller I'm not feeling like I'm speaking from a place of experience. Anyone willing to offer advice on what type of unit I should get? I would run the lights during the night of course.. Also, the insulation on the room is terrible and I might want to use space heaters but I would potentially want a heating function on the unit for the cold winters. Thanks!

Mini split with heat pump. 5k btu's for every 1k watts, give or take. Overkill is always better.

Thanks, Nouvellechef

So, 12 x 600 watts = 7200 x 5000 = 36,000 btu.. That' very expensive I think I 'm going to go with a 24,000 mini split and hope it'll be ok because all the lights are air cooled..

That should be good exspecially if you are air cooled. Let it run all night and take it down to about 65 during ( flowering) dark time and fool them into thinkin winter is coming.:hubba:

ganjaguitar11 said:
Thanks, Nouvellechef

So, 12 x 600 watts = 7200 x 5000 = 36,000 btu.. That' very expensive I think I 'm going to go with a 24,000 mini split and hope it'll be ok because all the lights are air cooled..

Not as expensive as poor production and quality. The 36 isn't that much more than the 24, is it? NCH has the big 36 I think--maybe he'll chime in. Best grand I ever dropped was into my 12K mini (and I'm only running three 600's). Chillin in the 77 club now, way down south with daytime lites.

Remember. If you undershoot it. The unit will work non stop. Costing you $$ month to month. That diff between 24k and 36k will be little in the long run.

Latest posts

Back