How much longer would you veg these !!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nouvellechef said:
Heck no man. They wont come close to those lights with proper training, topping and fresh bulbs in there. I would go solid 6 more weeks and bush those things out. Prune them up good. Those are 5gal buckets. Easy 12-14oz from those buckets. Unless your hurting for smoke. Go for the glory. Pull 2k plus grams from there.
12-14 ounces? I grow in 5-gallon buckets precisely because Papaya can grow like a giant sequoia. I horizontalise so that the side branches switch to top branches. Can you get that same yield with a horizontal plant?

YYZ Skinhead said:
12-14 ounces? I grow in 5-gallon buckets precisely because Papaya can grow like a giant sequoia. I horizontalise so that the side branches switch to top branches. Can you get that same yield with a horizontal plant?

With right strain. Grown and pruned well. Yes.

Black, that FIM job looks like it should be a keeper. You will know in a few days if it did right as the side branches will all take off while that top will move slowly. In about 2-3 weeks, all the lower branches will catch up with the top while it will produce upwards of 4 branches itself if you got it just right. You are looking at about 5ft of straight growth space before they get into the lights(by my figuring).

Depending on how much that strain stretches you could let them veg until they are 24" tall before flipping to get the full effect, but I would not let them get any taller than 16-18" before flipping them. And if you have the space at that point, I would tie some of the branches from each plant back downb to the pots just a bit to open them up so that the lights can penetrate down into the lower parts of the plants to help some of the lower buds develop more.

Or just trim out all of the lower tertiary branches that are popping up below the canopy so that the energy can be used at the top. I would also recommend that you get some string or plant trelles net and spread out over the whole thing and let the plants grow up through it as that will support those fat heavy buds that will develop :)

Thanx Hush, really great advice. From the top of my net pot to the tip of my bulb i have 4'7" and my plants are 9 to 11 inches at the moment. I think ill flip arround 18, 20 inches. I used to tie every single branch to the ceiling but the net thing on top sounds less labour intensive !! I prune the bottom branches usually, less little buds to screw arround with at the end !!
This is my light set up !!

IMG-20120208-00030_opt.jpg

when would i throw the net on top, at flip so it can stretch throu it. Or a couple weeks after flip ??

I would put it on top right at the flip and let them grow through it as it is goint to be a mid level support. I actually use metal fence material. There is a dog fence that you can buy at the hardware stores or home improvement stores. It is made of wire and has 2"x4" squares that work ideally for both supporting the stems and for helping you to spread the branches out and opening the canopy up some. The problem with it is that it has to be supported by sturdy structure like pvc pipe frame. but it works great. The trellis net is lighter and will stretch out easier but I don't know how well it will support the plants as they get bigger since I haven't used mine yet.

I agree that cutting out the lower branches and smaller bud sites is better as it allows more air flow beneath the canopy. I wouldn't try to open the canopy up enough to light all the lower stuff as that just isn't doable without affecting the top of the plant, and the result isn't worth it. But by opening the canopy up some, you get more light further down into the canopy so that the lower buds within the canopy will develop better. Basically trying to keep the top third to half of the plant well lit.

I am including a pic of my grow-lab where we have the fence material "zip-tied" to a PVC frame. :) The plants on the right actually have 2 levels of trellis for extra support because these Blueberry Punch plants produce giant, heavy buds that will pull the plant over and break branches without support.

wire trellis.JPG

I meant to comment on the lights. I have never used those before nor have I heard much on their efficiency, but I highly recommend that you have real good ventilation and fans blowing in there as those high watt lights are going to build some heat. Having them open like that with no way to suck the heat away directly might become challenging to control the temps in the room. I won't swear to it but you may end up having to go to an enclosed hood or tube where you can draw the heat away constantly. Have to wait and see. I would fire them up for a few days to see how they do with heat as you don't want to be half way through flowering and find the heat is killing a great crop.

Actually in the winter time i have no problems controlling heat at all, but as it warms up outside that's where it gets challenging. But it sure would be a lot less challenging with the big 8" XXXL hoods i'm looking at getting !! Cain't do much with this room anymore cause when this round is done i wont be able to use it !! I have another smaller room (500sqf) that i use for veg & clones that i will have to convert to veg & flower and make clones in a closet or something.

As for a LST & screen of green, i will need to try that out when i get my other room set up. seems like the best way for high yields !!

I want to thank everyone again for the help, been growing on & off for the past 10 years learning on my own and beleive it or not found these forums on the internet about 3 months ago....where the hell have i been....lol !! I have learned so much reading on here that my brain is about to explode :holysheep: :eek:

In my opinion (which is not that of an experts) I would say veg em another 4to5 weeks if you want them to finish at about 4 foot tall, others here might have more experienced opinions on the matter however.

I love RDWC its the easiest hydroponic setup i have ever worked with (for me anyways) By the looks of it i wont be using a lot of nutes, my PPM are at 250 and the tips are burning, its like having a car that's cheap on gas lol !! As for Fimming.... it works great !!
IMG-20120328-00135.jpg
IMG-20120328-00138.jpg
IMG-20120328-00139.jpg

Looking good, however, I would be getting the nutes up some. I see no sign of nute burn on the leaves, but they look a little light green.

Yeah I agree with THG, 250ppm is too low even for light eaters. You might want to take a close look at the ppms again. They are definitely looking good though :)

Healthy for sure! just a little hungry.

Bumped up the ppm to 400 this afternoon will see how that goes, i'm starting to see little hair's comming out where the branch's come out of the main stem.....is that what they mean by "pre flower" ??

That sounds like the preflower. If it looks like a little bulb that is sitting right in the corner of the branch and the hairs are coming out of those in pairs, then that is definitely preflower. But if it looks like 2 swords crossing or sticking out toward the main stem. That is something that grows there regardless of the gender. They should start showing sex around week 5-6 on average.

OK....can you tell if they are male or female without flipping the lights, i thought you could only tell the difference a week or two after putting them to flower....that's how i usually did it !! It would be great if you could tell male from female without flipping the lights !! It don't matter for this grow, they are from female seeds but you never know right !!

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. You generally get preflowers while in veg if you veg them long enough.

Again thanx for the info !! 1 more week to flip....if not sooner, i'm going to do it my old fashion way for this grow tying every branch up when they get heavy. The reason for this is that i don't have the time to set up a 2 x 4 inch square fence on top of these right now, just got a new job and its taking 12 hours 6 days a week out of my time !!
IMG-20120401-00143.jpg
I don't know if you like looking at picture's or not, i don't even no if i'm doing this in the right section of this forum or not but ill keep posting them t'ill some one tells me to stop !! :D The LED flash on my blackberry camera makes them look lighter green than they really are tho....i noticed that !! Since i bumped up the nutes to 400 its really burning the tips now more than before....about 1/8th of an inch long !! You cain't see it in the pic but its mostly on the new growth !!

That doesn't seem right at all. I wouldn't think that 400ppm in plants growing that vigorous even at 3.5 weeks old would cause them to burn. What nutrient are you using and what is the ph on them? Where are you taking your TDS and PH readings? What type of meters are you using for checking TDS and PH?

It's a Hanna 3 in 1 !! taking reading's from my controler resevoir, PH is 5.8 !! and i'm using GH 3 part but only using Micro and Bloom 1 part Micro 1.5 part Bloom, 5 ml of bleach every 4,5 days per 35 gallon !! It's only the tips of the leaves tho, i'm sure it's ok to have a little bit of burn !!

Latest posts

Back