how much to add

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dozer42

Reaction score
i am adding bat guano to my soil. the directions say:

OUTDOORS - either mix 2-3 tablespoons of bat guano per gallon of water and apply directly to the soil, or use bat guano as a top dressing to be mixed or wateed into the soil durning the groth phase of plant life. repeat every 2 weeks.

i am planing on diging up about 6 to 7 gallons of dirt to mix. how much guano should i add to a gallon of soil?

correct me if im wrong

1 teaspoon of lime per gallon of soil
1/3 mix perlite to soil

Imo, unless you know soil real good it's best to buy some top-of-the-line potting soil such as Fox Farms Ocean And Forest or Power Flower.

They are compost-based and chock full of organic amendments and micro-nutrients. Compared to dirt you dig up, potting soil is of course more expensive, but it will be free of any soil-bourne virii and/or pests.

I use Power Flower. For the first 6 weeks no added nutrients are needed (saving some $ right there), just water.
Then when my plants start to lose that brilliant green color I add chicken **** tea to the water, and after the first 3 weeks of flowering I add 2 heaping tblspoons of 0-10-0 gat guano per gallon of water.

mornin' dozer..you got the lime correct, but "IMHO" you're heavy on the perlite. I like about 15-25% perlite. Not positive on the guano Q, but if it calls for 2-3 tbsp. p/gal of water, fed directly, or top dressed. I would think, an equal amount ammended would be OK. (2-3 p/gal of soil) Though I would caution, if you are in doubt. .."use less". It's easy to add nutes to your grow, but outdoors, it's nearlly impossible to flush excess out.

hey ganja and hick. thanks for the info. i am planning on replacing half of the soil with FF potting soil. i pretty much just want to doctor up some of the exsisting soil.i would love to replace all of the soil but the cost factor ($20 per bag) and i have a pretty heafty walk ahead of me to get to my spot. so carrying 2 bags of potting soil for each hole and all other supplies are just out of the question. the soil quality im my area is good to very good. i live in farm city. everywhere you look is a bean or corn field.

"i have a pretty heafty walk ahead of me to get to my spot. so carrying 2 bags of potting soil for each hole..."
I know what you mean (although it's more like 1 bag per 3' x 3' hole).
Where I guerilla grew for deacdes was a l-o-n-g ass hike.
Each sack of soil weights about 60 lbs, and I had to lug 'em up and down 6 miles on a dusty trail.
A good place to collect native soil is near a stream.
Look for an area of the stream that overflows it's banks during winter/spring rains. You can dig quality soil from these area's. You want to look for dark soil that "falls apart" (as opposed to compacting slightly) and smells "earthy" and a little sweet.
Another good place is to look where dead leaves collect. Using gloves or shovel dig down past the top layer and you can often find well-rotted compost from previously deposited leaves.
I would bring along extra perlite to add to the total mixture.

Latest posts

Back