how much to trim?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blowinthatloud

Reaction score
so im getting ready to flip this girl to 12/12, im wondering how much i should trim off the bottom? as you can see the top is really bushy, i did alot of Fimming on this plant testing to see what i could do between that an the T5 its short and thick!! lookin forward to see this thing bud!!

i m having a real hard time typing my son spilled mountain dew on my laptop!! itsn really annoying!.....BtL

View attachment 201415grow 076.jpg

View attachment 201415grow 077.jpg

Hard question to answer, at least for me. You want to trim it "a lot" let's say that.

Whatever you think won't make it to the top of the canopy, you get rid of. You do not want popcorn buds sucking energy and resources from your tops, and hindering your air flow.

Here's an idea of some that I did a month ago, but I still didn't quite take enough. Just a bit more, and that would've been good for me :aok:

View attachment April25Update (18 of 22).jpg

Flowering with the T5s, too? I would not trim it up at all on the bottom. I would LST is some and let her grow.

Yeah, I think that I would just LST that a bit to open up the inside and let her go. You trim a bit differently for HPS than you do LEDs.

Still trim your under skirt! :) IMO

Some stuff will not make it to the top of the canopy. Knowing what will and won't comes with some experience for sure. Green mojo to you.

These will be "sucker branches" and will leach nutrients from your main branches, will create popcorn bud, will hinder ventilation and will not make it to the top of the canopy. Get rid of this stuff (the under skirt) during veg.

View attachment Chopsthese.jpg

These will be "sucker branches" and will leach nutrients from your main branches, will create popcorn bud, will hinder ventilation and will not make it to the top of the canopy. Get rid of this stuff (the under skirt) during veg.

I agree with fang plus the lowest branches basically anything that makes popcorn nugs

i too would trim anything that will never see the light of day---like the bottom 1/4 of the plant---good material to use for cloning

I trim the bottoms and inside branches heavy, if it won't reach the top...it goes.

When do you do this trimming? While still in veg and ? 1 week, 2 weeks before the flowering tent? Newb question I know. I will be flipping in a few weeks is why I ask. Thanks.

When do you do this trimming? While still in veg and ? 1 week, 2 weeks before the flowering tent? Newb question I know. I will be flipping in a few weeks is why I ask. Thanks.

I prefer to clone or prune before 12-12...but you can go 2 weeks in to flowering still trimming but thats pushing it..id go before 12-12.or the day of.tech

I like all the pruning to be done before i flip to 12/12. BUT, i always end up doing some more the first week or so of flower.

I think plants in general like to have one thing done at a time. Takes the plants energy to heal up the wound from taking off branches. Also takes energy for the plant to start to flower..so i like to give them one stress at a time, but that is just me...
hope that holps.

I like all the pruning to be done before i flip to 12/12. BUT, i always end up doing some more the first week or so of flower.

I think plants in general like to have one thing done at a time. Takes the plants energy to heal up the wound from taking off branches. Also takes energy for the plant to start to flower..so i like to give them one stress at a time, but that is just me...
hope that holps.

I agree, that's what I strive for...but always trim more later.

Hope that holps ^^^^:)

HOLPS IS GOOD!!! LOL Bwana... thought you might not see that...oops. LOL

i trimmed a couple rows of the bottom branches, an a bunch of the little small branches that were coming off the bigger branches, it opened up the inside of the plant allowing better air flow an light penetration, didnt wanna go to much so im kinda using this one as a test for the next ones that go into flower. im working on a continious grow so it will be a couple weeks before i put another girl into the flower room..thanks..BtL

I have been trimming all the lowers that don't get much light for clones, then to thin the bushy bushes out I have been going up the stalk and removing all the leaves(leaving fans) that are closest to the stalk I'll remove the #1&2 leaf that are on every branch

Latest posts

Back