How often to feed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linzwa

Reaction score
I'm setting up my hydro system and was wondering how often to feed my plants? Any info would be appreciated.

I'm making my own system with a reservior and pump system.

In hydro I feed continuously.

I also feed continuously. With hydro you should mix up your nutrient solution and then adjust the PH to around 5.8 and then let it feed/water on a cycle. I have mine set so that the plants in flower get feed/water for 15min every 3hrs. It is important though that you check your PH every day until you get your cycles down. I know what to expect from mine so I only check mine every other day.

If you don't already know this; typically with hydro, the PH will change or "drift" over time, and that time will vary. It is important to keep it in the active window which is from 5.3 to 6.2 with the optimum number being 5.8. You will find with some nutes, the PH will drift down, while with others it will drift up. If you don't have a quality PH pen then you need to get one ASAP as hydro lives and dies by PH. It is also very wise to get a TDS pen as well. :)

I don't really know what DWC means but I know I'm not doing Ebb and Flow or Aeroponics. Also, has anybody used a very large container (say 30 gal. or so) to store their water with the correct ph? Gonna be rolling soon so I am looking for any advice. Thanks.

linzwa said:
I don't really know what DWC means but I know I'm not doing Ebb and Flow or Aeroponics. Also, has anybody used a very large container (say 30 gal. or so) to store their water with the correct ph? Gonna be rolling soon so I am looking for any advice. Thanks.
Not to be a smart ***, but what kind of hydroponics are you building? It helps to know, if anyone is going to give advice, we need to know the particulars first.
Homie

DWC(deep water culture). Basically any kind of bucket or plastic tote that has the plant suspended above the water so that the roots can ahng down into the water to get the water and nutes. The water is kept aerated with vigorously bubbling aerator stones and an external air pump(the same thing that you see in aquariums for fish to breathe). With all hydroponics, the plants are held in a non soil medium and connected in some manner to larger amounts of highly aerated water/nutrient solution. If you want to see one method of hydroponics that works well for me, look at my grow journal titled "stealth cabinets" at the bottom of this page. Or look at the hydroponics setups in the grow journals sections. :)

My setup is pretty basic. I have a reservior with 2 or 3 containers filled with hydrocorn. I run a pump to feeding lines into the containers. I used this type of setup about 10 years ago before I got out of the gardening for awhile. Seemed to work pretty well. But technology has changed so much that I'm just looking to improve on my set-up.

Latest posts

Back