How to alter the % of females

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Doc,I planted northern lights from nirvana.I also have 5 white widows and 5 aurora indicas in seedling stage all from nirvana.

ozman said:
Hey Doc,I planted northern lights from nirvana.I also have 5 white widows and 5 aurora indicas in seedling stage all from nirvana.
wow 5/5 nl male! im doing nirvana bubblelicious 6/8 female. sorry bout ur luck. green mojo & good luck also for ya ww & ai. heres link to what ive experienced by my own stupidity http://http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26436 & then i was converted to coco buckets & you can see pics up to testerday in mass' thread http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30181 thought it might help to see why im lil leary of "do this, do that then they will be female" theory. i think you just had some real bad luck.

Hell yea, I have learned so much from mass. I still continue to impress even the very arrogant elitist growers my buddies dad knows when I explain about organics and coco coir and stuff.

hippyinengland said:
For growers who are well experienced, percentage of female plants is 60% - 90% female, but less experienced growers can end up with 100% male plants.
courtesy of cannabis-seed-banks.com
i'm definately the less experienced grower. 4 of 4 plants turned out male. and i think it's because of the temps (average 85), lack of humidity (10%-20%), and use of flowering light to veg.

Those three things (low temps, "higher" humidity, and lighting) are listed to environmentally promote female production. My question is why?
*I get the lighting, why the other two?

One more question.

what does the "three-pairs-of-leaves" stage mean?

Anyone know the answer to my previous question?

Hey guys. I know im pretty new but take this into thought. If you have 100 seeds. they all begin to grow in the same feild. same light every day, same rain fed.. im talking about NO human interaction. If what you guys are saying here is true about climate and weather and stress etc, wouldnt all these plants turn out to be exactly the same sex??? This is why i would have to agree with the other guy <sorry i forgot your name pal> on the fact that seeds have sex established when they are done growing in the pod.

What do you guys think about that educated guess?? Makes perfect sence to me really.

I understand you can actually change the sex with stress, allthough all i am aware of is being able to change a female into a hermie, maybe vice versa. Not a complete sex change.

If weather and temperature had anything to do with anything, there would be very little marijuana at all because every plant in miles of eachother would have the same temperature and weather(rain availability).

Just an opinion.

The problem is that even under ideal conditions none of the seeds that you plant will require the exact same conditions to thrive, for example some will like full light, some will like partial cloud cover, some will want more water, while some will want less.

IMO, seeds have a genetic code that could go either way based on the conditions that exist... If enough of its basic requirements are met then it has a chance to thrive and become a female, IMO, if a plant senses that it is not in an ideal condition based on its genetic code then it will do everything it can to become a true blue male before ever showing sex, because that way it can still thrive but as a male and still undertake in preserving its genes.

massproducer said:
The problem is that even under ideal conditions none of the seeds that you plant will require the exact same conditions to thrive, for example some will like full light, some will like partial cloud cover, some will want more water, while some will want less.

IMO, seeds have a genetic code that could go either way based on the conditions that exist... If enough of its basic requirements are met then it has a chance to thrive and become a female, IMO, if a plant senses that it is not in an ideal condition based on its genetic code then it will do everything it can to become a true blue male before ever showing sex, because that way it can still thrive but as a male and still undertake in preserving its genes.

thats deep mass..:D good stuff though..

yes that is right mass prod.. I have see that in my eyes.. wow it turned males? all those time I gave the tenders and caring??.. at least I got more ratio of females plants and that does help... I followed the directions 18/6 straight

myself I grew lot outside when I was young.. the only mistakes I made was confusing the plants by moving them in different spots too often.. which does stress them to be hermie.. and did pass it along to other plants within 11,000 acres of swamp woods.. but again.. if ya wanna to decide to plant outside a open wide area will be great idea.. and stick with that.. but helicopters in usa FLIR.. and all that.. oh well. good luck.. and it does take more time over indoor grow.. IMO you can grow mom inside.. and do the cutting and pass it to outside.. and let it grow.. but again animals can eat it.. ;)

If you were to take a small black garbage back, place a bundle or two of banannas and some seeds in an envelope. Tie it up real tight, and vent it few times a day, would that work well as a method of applying ethylene to the seeds?

I know some people use bananna peals but in most cases, mold can be an issue (not sure if it would affect the seeds if mold did occur.)

Puffin Afatty said:
another anecdotal suggestion I've seen is to keep air flow off the seedlings until sexing, as more males grew on the windward as opposed to the leeward side of the grow.

It would seem to me, though, that you'd be sacrificing a great deal of strength and robustness. In my experience, plants that don't have to resist a fan's air flow tend to be whimpy.

Latest posts

Back