How to prevent fires from exploding bulbs or worse.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runyoned18

Weedwhacker421
Reaction score
Hey fellow growers I really would like to have a discussion on how to prevent fires from starting in your grow area. I built a 4X8 grow area without even thinking about the materials that I used could catch on fire. Here about 1 month ago I had a bulb explode on me and I would have never thought that the damage of what one bulb could really do. When I went into my grow space the hot glass left burnt marks all over my floor and melted some of my plastic, I used for walls to save money. I ended up buying a sheet of drywall and tin which I covered my floor but still need to redo my sides this is what I made for a grow space but now I have to rethink on how to make it much safer. My lights are turned off because I am waiting for warmer weather, so I do not have to run a heater. If the more experienced growers can throw in and tell some of the newer growers how to make a DIY grow room safe, I think everyone would appreciate the help. I know that people have lost almost everything because of this if you read some of the other forums. I read on another forum that a very experienced grower had a basement that he had a grow in, and a bulb blew out and he almost lost his house. I will show my Cheap DIY grow room as it was at first. But as far as safety I would not do this now that I have seen what could happen. Doing this cheaper can cost you much more in the long run. I will use my cheap grow area as an example on what not to do as far as safety. I do keep a smoke detector next to it and a full-size fire extinguisher in the garage. I built this trying to keep it light so I could open the garage door in summer and roll it outside. I did not even think about the safety aspect which is my bad.

Attachments

• DSCN0989.JPG
    DSCN0989.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0992.JPG
    DSCN0992.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0996.JPG
    DSCN0996.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
Hey fellow growers I really would like to have a discussion on how to prevent fires from starting in your grow area. I built a 4X8 grow area without even thinking about the materials that I used could catch on fire. Here about 1 month ago I had a bulb explode on me and I would have never thought that the damage of what one bulb could really do. When I went into my grow space the hot glass left burnt marks all over my floor and melted some of my plastic, I used for walls to save money. I ended up buying a sheet of drywall and tin which I covered my floor but still need to redo my sides this is what I made for a grow space but now I have to rethink on how to make it much safer. My lights are turned off because I am waiting for warmer weather, so I do not have to run a heater. If the more experienced growers can throw in and tell some of the newer growers how to make a DIY grow room safe, I think everyone would appreciate the help. I know that people have lost almost everything because of this if you read some of the other forums. I read on another forum that a very experienced grower had a basement that he had a grow in, and a bulb blew out and he almost lost his house. I will show my Cheap DIY grow room as it was at first. But as far as safety I would not do this now that I have seen what could happen. Doing this cheaper can cost you much more in the long run. I will use my cheap grow area as an example on what not to do as far as safety. I do keep a smoke detector next to it and a full-size fire extinguisher in the garage. I built this trying to keep it light so I could open the garage door in summer and roll it outside. I did not even think about the safety aspect which is my bad.
I stopped using all my bulbed lights after one exploded in my face one day
The digital ballast sit the bed and a voltage spike went right to the bulb and boom hot glass and
filament all over the place. Had a clean up towel in the tent to wipe water feed spills and it caught on full fire, I put that out (thk the lord I was home) .Scared the crap out of me, I shut down and almost did not start back up. I was able to find the bad ballast and replace it and the 1000watt bulb to finish grow.
But now since then I have all LED lights and a ceiling mounted fire extinguisher.

1669386736225.png

The garage with my heaters on will maintain around 70 degrees. I live next to the mountains in New Mexico and today's high is about 45 degrees. And it is in my garage with 10ft doors. I can roll it out during veg stage and then roll it back in when I switch to flower under the lights. Sorry the picture is blurry.

Attachments

• DSCN0945.JPG
    DSCN0945.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
I have never had a bulb explode on me. I also don't have to run a heater. I spray for bugs weekly and always make sure the bulbs have cooled somewhat and never let any spray hit the bulb.

My best advise is.....BE CAREFUL!!!

The garage with my heaters on will maintain around 70 degrees. I live next to the mountains in New Mexico and today's high is about 45 degrees. And it is in my garage with 10ft doors. I can roll it out during veg stage and then roll it back in when I switch to flower under the lights. Sorry the picture is blurry.
Howdy neighbor. I live just north of you. Same temps. But, I am in my basement. I wouldn't attempt it in my garage. To expensive to heat.

That thing actually looks awesome... Right up until the point where you stuck the High Intensity Discharge lights at the top of it. I'm not saying LED's wouldn't catch fire either. If I remember right your not suppose to touch the HID bulbs with your bare hands if you can help it. Hopefully you didn't get cut. The glass they are made out of can be really thin and I think there is toxic stuff inside some of the bulbs themselves. I build one out of wood and ran a 600w on a smooth moover. BRB...

Never had a bulb blow up. Doesn't that usually happen over water or something.
I don't use HPS so I couldn't tell you to much about them. I use HOT5s for growing and CFL for cloning and seedlings. I'm thinking about trying the Spider Famer LEDs though.

HPS lights are relatively safe if hung and treated properly. I can't remember an incident where light bulbs started a fire in these parts. More likely to get an electricial fire.
Mine was a new light and it looked like someone with an oily hand touched the 1000w bulb new from box.
I was sure that is what caused it, but store said faulty ballast and offered replacement

If you were to get on 420 magazine forum and go to the purple pictures forum there is a gentleman there that had his basement catch on fire and more with the pictures and he lost a lot pretty scary stuff. He is building a new grow room and making it as fireproof as possible and you should read some of the information, he has out there on fires from lights exploding. if interested go to the last two pages of that forum.

That thing actually looks awesome... Right up until the point where you stuck the High Intensity Discharge lights at the top of it. I'm not saying LED's wouldn't catch fire either. If I remember right your not suppose to touch the HID bulbs with your bare hands if you can help it. Hopefully you didn't get cut. The glass they are made out of can be really thin and I think there is toxic stuff inside some of the bulbs themselves. I build one out of wood and ran a 600w on a smooth moover. BRB...

Well on a brighter note since I have shut down the grow until the weather warms up in a couple of months, I decided to do some dry ice hash.

Attachments

• DSCN0043.JPG
    DSCN0043.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
It’s always good practice to wipe down any bulb. You put in a grow room with alcohol and then install it with cotton gloves on. I had a bowl blow up once when I was spraying for white flies and they can be quite lethal. Since then, I have always put a sheet of glass underneath the fixture to stop that from occurring. Now that mine main light is LED. I don’t concern myself with fires. I damn near lost an entire 2000 square-foot building do to the electrical fire, but was . fortunate enough to be able to put it out before it got out of control. I now use wall and ceiling mounted fire extinguishers that automatically go on if they get hot.

Latest posts

Back