Howdy....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UpstairsRichie

Reaction score
I'm in 23 days of my first grow, since 1982. One plant. I found the seed stuck in the bottom of my gym shoe. :) I figured it was destiny that I should see if it grew... I put it on a piece of wet paper towel, put it in a baggy, and left it in the dark for a few days. I found a nice long tap root, figured it was meant to be planted.

I had a bag of MG which I used for my African Violets... not the best choice, I know. Did some searches and found this site. One of the better MJ sites, in my opinion. :)

I decided to do photos from the start... it's been fun.

I'll post them when I get a chance.
Don't know if I can post any of them here?

I don't smoke any longer. I use shake, and fan leaves, to make canna salve, which I started using on some skin cancer I had on my face. The cancer has disappeared. My skin doctor was kind of puzzled. :)

I'm using 4 32W CFLs, w/reflectors... The plant looks pretty nuked out by the MG (I imagine). This is just a little hobby, which is turning into a lot of fun.

Great site. :)

Welcome to MP. Yes, this is the kind of hobby that can grow on you--no pun intended. Yes, you can post your pictures here. In fact, we kind of prefer that rather than having to go to some other place to look at things. I like to make up salves and tinctures too, for those in my circle with arthritis. I will be making something soon using both cannabis and comfrey, a little organic beeswax and almond or coconut oil to keep it workable. You will have to share some of your recipes with us.

You found a good place, welcome to MP. If you`re an old fart (over 50) come over and check out "Curmudgeonland...Home of the Old Farts Club". Peace.

Richie, what took you so long? A seed in your shoe???? wow, funny.

MP is a great site and I am glad you found us. Welcome.

I'm in 23 days of my first grow, since 1982. One plant. I found the seed stuck in the bottom of my gym shoe. :) I figured it was destiny that I should see if it grew... I put it on a piece of wet paper towel, put it in a baggy, and left it in the dark for a few days. I found a nice long tap root, figured it was meant to be planted.

I had a bag of MG which I used for my African Violets... not the best choice, I know. Did some searches and found this site. One of the better MJ sites, in my opinion. :)

I decided to do photos from the start... it's been fun.

I'll post them when I get a chance.
Don't know if I can post any of them here?

I don't smoke any longer. I use shake, and fan leaves, to make canna salve, which I started using on some skin cancer I had on my face. The cancer has disappeared. My skin doctor was kind of puzzled. :)

I'm using 4 32W CFLs, w/reflectors... The plant looks pretty nuked out by the MG (I imagine). This is just a little hobby, which is turning into a lot of fun.

Great site. :)

Welcome to MP, glad you could join us. As THG already said, feel free to upload your pics to this site so that we can all see them without going to external pic storage sites. It is safer for you anyway.
As for your soil, you are correct that it was not the best choice. There are a few peeps who can grow pretty well with the prenuted MG soils but ultimately you only make it harder on yourself by using it. There is one MG soil that is good though. I have been using their Seed Starter Mix since I first started growing and have gotten good results. For the most part it has no Nutrients in it. It has a lil bit of one or two nutrients to help promote root growth but none of the water release nutrients that can wreck your grow. I like to have as much control over what goes into my soil and when as I can. That and keeping the PH of everything that goes into my soil are two of the most important things , for me, to have a success grow. A little bit of Sweet Lime added to the soil is also very helpful to stabilize PH and it also provides some nutrients.
You will probably find this Hobby becoming more of an obsession as time goes by. I know I did. I started with CFL's and now use LED's.

Let us know if we can help in anyway. We are a friendly bunch that loves to grow and loves to help others do the same.

Welcome to MP, glad you could join us. As THG already said, feel free to upload your pics to this site so that we can all see them without going to external pic storage sites. It is safer for you anyway.
As for your soil, you are correct that it was not the best choice. There are a few peeps who can grow pretty well with the prenuted MG soils but ultimately you only make it harder on yourself by using it. There is one MG soil that is good though. I have been using their Seed Starter Mix since I first started growing and have gotten good results. For the most part it has no Nutrients in it. It has a lil bit of one or two nutrients to help promote root growth but none of the water release nutrients that can wreck your grow. I like to have as much control over what goes into my soil and when as I can. That and keeping the PH of everything that goes into my soil are two of the most important things , for me, to have a success grow. A little bit of Sweet Lime added to the soil is also very helpful to stabilize PH and it also provides some nutrients.
You will probably find this Hobby becoming more of an obsession as time goes by. I know I did. I started with CFL's and now use LED's.

Let us know if we can help in anyway. We are a friendly bunch that loves to grow and loves to help others do the same.

Hamster Lewis,
Thanks... I'll post some pictures, of my plant... I've read a bit of the beginner's stuff on here, which has helped. I think the plant has a bit much nutes.. leaves are curling, and feel dryish. I know photos help.

Your plant looked pretty good till the last 2 pics...it looks over watered and you might have a PH issue. I would ditch the clay pot, they suck. Plastic pot, grow bag, even a plastic margarine tub would be better than a clay pot.
What are you using to monitor the PH of what goes into your soil? A ph meter is pretty much a necessity with this hobby. That also leads me to the fact that that soil it is in is probably the reason for your PH issues. If it is possible I would transplant it to a different pot, into better soil, and practice the art of the Wet/Dry Cycle. It is one of the best ways to get good root growth and overall robust plant growth. jmo

Your plant looked pretty good till the last 2 pics...it looks over watered and you might have a PH issue. I would ditch the clay pot, they suck. Plastic pot, grow bag, even a plastic margarine tub would be better than a clay pot.
What are you using to monitor the PH of what goes into your soil? A ph meter is pretty much a necessity with this hobby. That also leads me to the fact that that soil it is in is probably the reason for your PH issues. If it is possible I would transplant it to a different pot, into better soil, and practice the art of the Wet/Dry Cycle. It is one of the best ways to get good root growth and overall robust plant growth. jmo

I'll go out and get a different container. I don't check the PH... know I should. I was watering the plant very lightly. I gave it a soaking, and the next day the leaves curled. Don't know if that gave it to many nutrients?

This was kind of a spare of the moment thing...I didn't think the seed would ever sprout. :) Any idea on what kind of PH meter to buy? Appreciate the help.

I'll go out and get a different container. I don't check the PH... know I should. I was watering the plant very lightly. I gave it a soaking, and the next day the leaves curled. Don't know if that gave it to many nutrients?

This was kind of a spare of the moment thing...I didn't think the seed would ever sprout. :) Any idea on what kind of PH meter to buy? Appreciate the help.

Sorry if my post came off negative. I totally get the spare moment thing. It is kind of how i got started. I introduced my wife to Cannabis and she loved it. So much so that I figured out it would be really expensive and kinda dangerous buying pot so regularly off the street.
I just wanted to share a couple tips real quick and I can see it might have come off as i am coming down on you. One thing i have learned from the years I have been growing , is there are many ways to grow great Dank. You have to learn the basics and tweak the rest to suit your own style.

welcome to mp .it is the best site. my Dad had plants growing when he died and he never smoked a joint. never. He just liked growing .I think because it was illegal . welcome aboard. nice plant.

Here is another opinion.

Keep the pot and take off those two bottom new leaves and bury the stem to the top of the pot almost. Water when the soil is DRY... Stick your finger in down to the knuckle and feel for moisture. The thing about clay pots is they dry quickly which doesn't hurt marijuana. It likes a wet and dry cycle. That is a small pot and you will want to get a bigger in a couple of weeks. Just another thought for you to consider. I don't think I have ever disagreed with the Hamster, he knows his stuff and is a better grower then me. So keep that in mind. LOL

Hamster Lewis,
No problem... It wasn't negative.
I appreciate the help....

Latest posts

Back