Hps lighting info needed !!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SNWbunie27

Reaction score
OK yall I have a closet measuring around 32-25-60 it's a closet lol measurements in inches. So here's my deal..
I already have a 150 hps light going for my critical Jack Herer fem plant from seed. I'M gonna buy another 150 to throw in there. My question is

Will my linens per square foot meet the requirements needed to get big *** buzz.lol
Critical is already supposed to be a heavy yielder. I just wanna ensure I get a goof amount

Another question is using just the one light will the budz be alright ... well I had one more question but lost it.... forgot what I was gonna say lol

And here it is lol how much will one 150 bring my electric bill up and how much for 2 o run 12/12 I use a cfl to veg 125 Watts so if yall know how much the 2 lights raise the bill please let me know am kinda in urgent need to have a good round about ya know?

Need approximately

Square foot(app 6ft) X lumens needed(5000 for flower) = 30,000 lumens needed.

What is the amount of lumens of your bulb?

No, not enough light. That is about 1/2 of what you are going to need. And even 2 150W are going to be absolute minimum lighting for that space. If you want to gerow a goodly amount with good potency I would go with more than minimal lighting. I am running 30,000 lumens for a 5 sq ft space. Before you buy anything, run things by us here. You will find that a 400W would probably have cost a fair amount less than 2 150W and the 400W will provide substantially more light with better penetration. Digi ballasts will also run both MH and HPS bulbs. I anticipate you wanting to step up to something better than a 125W CFL if you are serious about growing....and it seems that you may be! I mentioned this in another of your threads, but I would buy a 400W dimmable for that space. I doubt that the cost is going to be a whole lot more than a 150W. You can probably sell the 150W on CL to recoup some of your money.

We cannot tell you how much they are going to cost to run, unless we know how much you pay per kilowatt hour, but it shouldn't be a huge amount. Keep in mind that you can lessen your other electrical use by doing a few simple things: change out all your incandescent light bulbs for CFLs. Turn the thermostat up in the summer and down in the winter. Take shorter showers. Turn off lights and electrical equipment that you are not using. Let your hair dry naturally, blow dryers use a lot of power. Etc, etc. There are a lot of ways to cut your domestic electrical use.

Yeah alright hemp goddess you did mention the light issues in a few other threads of mine I wasn't in any sort of position to buy at that time this mom's surgery me alone paying 1800 in rent work school grow job caring for ma and husband helping and running crazy as well to help. OK so at my hydro shop they've got this 250 MG converter to 400 hps sun system light for like 125 bux I think it's not to bad the equipment made nice real steal reflector light bulb was so new it still had a weird smell lol maybe I'M a ******* tho I dunno. But being in my closet a 400 Watt will cause tons of heat issues so I've got a white pop up closet a traveling closet turned into grow tent really good tent thick no light leaks smell proof to an extent and about

Heat may be a problem ofor the first weeks. I have to get the ducting to run from my tent to the windows I gotta throw out my love seat which I FUCKN love but love growing more so out the window it goes! Lol 4 McGee ducting and fan to push the heat out and in I need to find a small size carbon filter ASAP. Lol only 20 days in with the 150 Watt she's going strong ad he'll anyhow!!

I do not know what a "250 MG converter to 400 hps sun system light" means? First, you are going to want a ballast that is digital and can be turned down. I suggested the 400W digi because you can turn it down and people tend to go to bigger spaces rather than smaller ones. Also the higher wattage lights put out more lumens per watt than the smaller ones. For instance most 150W HPS put out 15,000 lumens or 100 lumens per watt. The 400W can put out 125 lumens per watt and the 600W 150 lumens per watt, so they do get more efficient as the wattage increases. You also want an air coolable hood. For a small space, a cool tube works great. I personally would not own a hood that was not air coolable, it makes that much difference. I am pretty sure that you will not be able to keep the space cool enough when you get to flowering and have as much light as you need.

I also do not know what McGee ducting and fan means? I doubt that you are going to find a carbon filter less than 4" and you are going to need a centrifuge type fan to pull the air through the filter--not all fans will work.

I understand living on a budget. I have to watch my pennies, too. I am trying to keep you from making buying mistakes that ultimately will end up costing you more money in the long run. More light means more bud. There is a cap to what the plants can utilize, but it is up somewheres around 7500-10,000 lumens per sq ft...maybe more. But unfortunately, there is a reason that cannabis costs as much as it does--it is not that easy or cheap to grow. You cannot plant acres of it like corn. Each plant needs individual care and they can be finicky. Adequate lighting and to a lesser degree, but still critical, proper ventilation are essential to a good grow. The biggest mistake that new growers make is under-lighting their spaces. It always looks like the lights put off so much light that it would just have to be enough, but cannabis is a light hog and loves lots of it in the correct spectrum.

You can get a real nice 400W setup on Amazon for about $150--come with a cool tube, hangers, MH and HPS bulbs. Very few white "closets" are made from materials that block light. Unless it is a closet designed as a darkroom or a grow tent, I doubt that it will block light 100%...and that is critical for flowering plants. Most of us that have been growing for any amount of time have a bunch of growing stuff that we tried and then went on to something better. We want to give you the benefit of our experience so you do not end up with a closet full of stuff that just isn't enough to do the job. Anytime I am contemplating buying something new, I still run it by the members here for their input.

You are a good daughter to help your mom out. I understand running around like a chicken with your head cut off, too. I was a single mother of 2, went to school full time and had a full time job. I know it is tough. But we cannot change the fact that growing cannabis takes a certain amount of money, time, energy, and love. We don't want to shoot you down or discourage you, but we do want you to know the way it is. Your 150W is enough to take you through vegging. You shouldn't need a carbon filter til flowering. Amazon also has a fan/filter combo for under $100, I believe. Save pennies, keep your eye open for good buys (check CL periodically, thrift stores, etc). Green MOJO for your plants.

Here is a link to the 400w I was talking about: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Horticulture-GLK400CT24E-Digital-Dimmable/dp/B00547I5I8/ref=sr_1_4?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1420830659&sr=1-4&keywords=400w+hps[/ame]

Fan/filter combo: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Fan-Filter-Combo-Inline-Hydroponic/dp/B00QW50A5M/ref=sr_1_19?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1420830850&sr=1-19&keywords=4%22+fan+filter[/ame]

DO NOT get a fan like this as it does not have enough power to pull air through the filter. That type of fan is a booster fan is not meant to ever be used as a stand-alone fan. It's purpose is to be used as a booster for a larger fan on long ducting runs: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/VegieMaster-Hydroponic-Booster-Filter-Exhaust/dp/B00POG49TS/ref=sr_1_29?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1420831100&sr=1-29&keywords=4%22+fan+filter[/ame]

Hey girl I just posted so much stuff then my phone backs out and now it's all gone GOODDDD. LOL OK SO ur freaking amazing. Make me understand things easily and letting me down easy on buyn another not so good light so thank you for that and I will be buying that Apollo light kit next couple weeks and selling my other ones to whoever will buy them lol Craigslist has light on there!!! I DON'T KNEW WHY THE HECK I FRONT THINK OF THAT CRAP but I really like that Apollo light so I don't know and yea I know the white pop up isn't good but it's only for vegging out my seedlings a little while before I introduce them to the hps and I do it slowly bc last seedling I put in there fried the light was to much for much a tiny baby I think and my flowering girls are in the actually walled closet shown in the picture.for some reason being in my closet the smells not as bad as being in the tent I've already tried to back it out and stuff. So the money thing is getting alittle better picking up more days at work so little bit ore only my mom's business is currently waiting her recovery for surgery so nothing she gonna be able to do but heal which all fine and dandy now I first need to come up with 2500 dollars to pay all the bills rent electric gas and Wi-Fi all in one is alittle. More then 2500 like 57 more so lights plants are all gonna be going crazy and I'll be fine soon thanks you so much for your help and the ballast is what I'M worried about I'M not good with electric stuff is it possible to get a 400 Watt that's a plug n play? I will need some more help for the ballast

A white popup will be just fine for vegging. Since plants are happy with light 24 hours a day, it is more a matter of making sure that the inside surface is reflective and most white is. You do not have to have a light tight space during veg.

We were all new growers once. I just started so long ago that I have kind of grown with the industry. At first we just grew what we could outdoors in a greenhouse. Inside we used fluorescent tube lighting--it was what we had. In the late 90s I got serious and bought my first HPS and MH--1000W HPS and 400W MH--no digital ballasts in those days.

The lights are pretty simple. You can get a one piece unit, but a separate ballast is the way to go. The ballast is simply a small box that goes between the hood and the wall plug in. You will put the bulb into the fixture and hang it--the hangers are included. Wear gloves as the oils from your fingers can cause high wattage bulbs to overheat and wear out prematurely. The hood plugs into the ballast. The end is different from the wall plug in so there is no danger of getting them mixed up. You can put the ballast either inside your space or outside as the cord is long. You may want to do this as your space is small. The ballast then plugs into a wall socket or the timer. The MH bulb which is the one that is bigger around is for vegging, but you can still use your 125W CFL to veg if you have something flowering. The long skinnier bulb is the HPS and is for flowering. It can look intimidating, but really isn't. And the light is going to seem extremely BRIGHT! Running at full power, you will have 54,000 (initial) lumens. You will be able to kick it down to 75% and still get a great harvest. Doing the math in my head, this would be around.......40,000 lumens. I know that a lot of people worry about that much wattage, but consider that your blow dryer is probably at least 1000W. Other appliances can also run at high wattage--space heaters, microwaves, toasters, toaster ovens, waffle irons, etc. Just make sure that you do not have a lot plugged in on the same circuit.

See goddess this is the only reason I come to show face here your *** really need to start a teaching channel on tbh or something crazy bc I've never understood that stuff and u just fixed it like a G no problems lol I will be ha info new lights very soon waiting for second jobs check to clear nd my hubbys too. As this month the smallest bills are paid next weeks is light the week after are the rest of the bills got it all figure out now let's hope it goes as planned can we lol thank boo boo really appreciate the help

Latest posts

Back