HPS & MH DURING FLOWERING?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTDS2011

Reaction score
Hey how’s it going again guys so I’m back at it and I go downstairs in my tent tonight to check on them when the timer comes on and what do you know I have a burnt out bulb so of course I don’t have any other bulbs in stock or available besides my MH bulb so I ended up unplugging the ballast throwing the MH bulb inside and turning it all back on I was actually wondering I have 30 days left of flowering I was wondering if it would affect or what it would do just finishing out on this instead of buying another HPS bulb at the moment? Has anybody ever ran an MH with an HPS and got good results or seen any difference or problems I am very curious On running this set up till they’re done anybody that has some input I greatly appreciate it very much…. For those of you just joining in I have two 1000 watt setups going in my 5x5 tent now

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 13
Actually this is a long time old argument as people have done both.. I think you'd be fine using the MH...

If you have a black light, add it the last 2wks of flower but not necessary, just would help final bud development..

luck

Actually this is a long time old argument as people have done both.. I think you'd be fine using the MH...

If you have a black light, add it the last 2wks of flower but not necessary, just would help final bud development..

luck
Carty
Does the blk light act as a UV light would in this case?
Never heard to use a blk one before

yes two different light fixtures. so, damn i swapped bulbs i think for nothing... I plugged and played with the ballast and cords wen I noticed it out, let it sit time after time to cool down, still wouldn't light up. so I swapped the bulb back to an MH bulb, went down this morning off again, circuit breaker flipped and ballast ice cold so it happened again in the middle of the night, disconnected everything ran wires a diff angle and tried other things, then finally took the ballast and plugged it in alone, to a new circuit breaker in the wall by itself in a room... ******* sparks flew out the fan sides and the circuit breaker flipped again, so I'm going with bad ballast. sucks now i have to go grab a new ballast for 225$ at the grow shop today.... i read a lot of good things from running the MH in the tent, I'm debating on going back to full HPS or just doing a grow in the last 30 days with the MH and HPS system running.... any more input will be appreciated thank you all

yes two different light fixtures. so, damn i swapped bulbs i think for nothing... I plugged and played with the ballast and cords wen I noticed it out, let it sit time after time to cool down, still wouldn't light up. so I swapped the bulb back to an MH bulb, went down this morning off again, circuit breaker flipped and ballast ice cold so it happened again in the middle of the night, disconnected everything ran wires a diff angle and tried other things, then finally took the ballast and plugged it in alone, to a new circuit breaker in the wall by itself in a room... ******* sparks flew out the fan sides and the circuit breaker flipped again, so I'm going with bad ballast. sucks now i have to go grab a new ballast for 225$ at the grow shop today.... i read a lot of good things from running the MH in the tent, I'm debating on going back to full HPS or just doing a grow in the last 30 days with the MH and HPS system running.... any more input will be appreciated thank you all
If you bought the ballast from your grow shop, they are most likely some warranty on it. See what the owner says he may exchange for a new one no charge.

Is it a name brand ballast, there should be an exchange time as long as its not yrs old

It’s a nanolux my boy bought it from a grow shop three years ago never any issues or light flickers or problems until now…. This was my spare 1000 watt system sitting in my storage till now just sucks I got one month out of it but it was free to me wen my boy upgraded his room but nanolux is a big name and a lot of people use them I’m just shocked

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 7
It’s a nanolux my boy bought it from a grow shop three years ago never any issues or light flickers or problems until now…. This was my spare 1000 watt system sitting in my storage till now just sucks I got one month out of it but it was free to me wen my boy upgraded his room but nanolux is a big name and a lot of people use them I’m just shocked
If you have amazon check for new one they have ballast cheaper than 225 I believe
and Prime next day shipping

So my local grow shop guy has these quantum horticulture 2 digital ballast for 180$ a piece… Ended up picking up a new ballast in a brand new horticulture HPS bulb while there for 65$ he gives me the hookup I guess cuz been going so long…. I don’t do knockoff brands or Amazon or eBay based on warranty issues or defective I don’t play games with something that in case fires or failures etc, anyways tested it all out and hooked it up and it’s beautiful I’m glad I spent the extra money and bought the new bulb anyways I was running a few years old bulb in the second setup in my tent now it should def help with the upgrades anyways…. Thanks for the input

Attachments

• 9381F9F4-5A20-4D74-88E9-01A1AF5126B5.jpeg
    9381F9F4-5A20-4D74-88E9-01A1AF5126B5.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 8
Yes sir, black lights were the poor boy UV.... now most LED lights will add a single UV light in their mix... it's about
the spectrum the sun has during the late part of summer...

Amazon has the same products we buy at hydro stores at better prices and free shipping... they have a nice Quantum Digital Ballast for $135.. I love my free next day shipping, just convenient..

I run the Spider Farmer LED lights and love them... HGL makes nice ones also using the same diodes and meanwell drivers.. don't always have to spend big bucks to get good results, but then again I have a small small tent.. lol

now that i bought the same setup and everything smooth and back to normal as i just checked again this AM lol......but yea my next run im gonna be doing anywhere from 10-15 plants with two tents and running the same setup with all the same seeds just different bulbs, i will do a journal wen i start over in a month after chopping

Yep, and they have a great return policy if you buy from Amazon store
Carty said this
Amazon has the same products we buy at hydro stores at better prices and free shipping... they have a nice Quantum Digital Ballast for $135.. I love my free next day shipping, just convenient..

Guys will always say I love my Hydro store they are always so helpful
if you do your research before you buy and know being an informed buyer is better than relying on most times young people who have never grown weed before, you are better off, and cheaper.

I don't believe you can use the same ballast for MH as for HPS. The strike voltage will be different, for starters. I'd think you might burn the ballast or bulb.

I don't believe you can use the same ballast for MH as for HPS. The strike voltage will be different, for starters. I'd think you might burn the ballast or bulb.
I have 2 (digital, not old school blazing hot transformer type) both say either or.

Only use HPS, so haven't tested that notion out.

Bubba

Yes, the old transformer type says nothing but being for 600 watt HPS.

Bubba

Latest posts

Back