HPS or LEDS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lottery

Reaction score
Which would i be better of

TWO Super High Powered 90w LED lights

Brand new 400 watt HPS bulb (2,100K/50,000 Lumens)
Brand new 400 watt MH Conversion bulb (4,000K/36,000 Lumens)
Brand new 400 watt Digital Conversion Ballast

Which would u recommend?

Im looking to buy the mini cab hydroponic system i can get it with leds or hps and mh lights

This is the link

hXXp://www.hydroponicgarden.net/content-product_info/product_id-1187/hydroponic_system_mini_cool_cab_led.html

Which would u recommend?

Which would u recommend?

I would recommend not posting of outside links..MariP frowns on it.

Depends on how big your garden's going to be. Cost and efficiency are going to the most important factors for me. How many Sq. ft. is your garden going to be?
The larger the space, the more Lumens will be needed. As far as LEDs are concerned from the pics I've seen, only one plant was used per panel and these looked like stout Indica strains. the light was very close to the plant and I'm not sure if LEDs are good for both vegetative and flowering, or just one.

There's a indoor guide here by I believe, Legalize_Freedom that has a great Light, lumen, and efficiency table, He'd know better than me try try searching in there..

Lottery said:

Which would u recommend?

I would go with the 400W set-up. Just curious, if you have a digital ballast, why would you need a conversion bulb?

What makes the LEDs "Super High Powered"?

How much does 2 super high powered led panels cost? I ask because I wld go with a 600w digi with a cool tube or air cooled hood...it's not one of your choices but was wondering if it wld cost the same or less then the 2 led set up...

From most post I read about LED's they can really only be effective in vegetative growth. I'm too stoned and lazy to look the link up for you but it was in a lighting thread a week ago just look for it.

My main point is nothing beats an HPS system right now for flowering and a 400w MH bulb isn't too bad itself for veg. But man there are an bunch of LED threads in lighting just give those a looks see and see which system you'd be more comfortable with.

Lottery said:

Which would u recommend?
Having witnessed a test of one of the best 378w of LED against 1000w HPS, I would say save your money and go with the HID...don't listen to the LED crap you're only going to get half the results from the two UFO's and then you 're going to have to deal with the LED issues. Having to heat in the winter...longer grows.....lousier meds....total horsebleep claims! The only people happy with LED's are newbies having to justify their purchases...consider yourself lucky....LOL

I wouldn't buy that closet. Get a way taller one. minimum 6 feet tall at least 8-10 feet tall, 3 meters

You'll need a powerful light, you're looking for the highest lumens per square foot. And also, when you're looking at the number that's read in kelvin like 4000k, that's the color temperature. There are articles that accurately describe color temperature,,,,stick to 4000 will work for both flower and veg

good luck!
destroyer

I'm looking for some more answers on LED lighting. This is my situation, I have been growing for sometime now and want to maybe make the switch to LED's. I'm running 3x6 ft. tray tables with 18 5 gallon smart pots with 2 1000 watt hps over them. I'm wounding how many LED's I would need to make it equal to my 2 1000 watt hps per table. Money is not an issues as I know these fixtures are very expensive.

What kind? I want u.s. made.
What watt?
What is the best fixture for flower?
What is the best fixture for veg?
What light spectrums am I looking for in LED's? exc........

If there is anybody out there that has had real success with LED's and has a good understanding of them and could explain to me the difference in how they compare in strength of usable light compared to the 600 watt and the 1000 watt MH and HPS. That would be awesome I have been doing my research but still need some good solid advice before a HUGE chunk of change on the wrong lights.
Thanks again,La Pines Rat.

La Pines Rat said:
I'm looking for some more answers on LED lighting. This is my situation, I have been growing for sometime now and want to maybe make the switch to LED's. I'm running 3x6 ft. tray tables with 18 5 gallon smart pots with 2 1000 watt hps over them. I'm wounding how many LED's I would need to make it equal to my 2 1000 watt hps per table. Money is not an issues as I know these fixtures are very expensive.

What kind? I want u.s. made.
What watt?
What is the best fixture for flower?
What is the best fixture for veg?
What light spectrums am I looking for in LED's? exc........

If there is anybody out there that has had real success with LED's and has a good understanding of them and could explain to me the difference in how they compare in strength of usable light compared to the 600 watt and the 1000 watt MH and HPS. That would be awesome I have been doing my research but still need some good solid advice before a HUGE chunk of change on the wrong lights.
Thanks again,La Pines Rat.

PJ, (PJammers), is the guy to talk to. This thread is a couple years old and LED have come quite a ways. You have to get the right ones though, plenty sell junk or sub par. They won't be cheap but should pay for themselves eventually.

ledtester said:
Having witnessed a test of one of the best 378w of LED against 1000w HPS, I would say save your money and go with the HID...don't listen to the LED crap you're only going to get half the results from the two UFO's and then you 're going to have to deal with the LED issues. Having to heat in the winter...longer grows.....lousier meds....total horsebleep claims! The only people happy with LED's are newbies having to justify their purchases...consider yourself lucky....LOL

lol really? you sir obviously have not been around the block so to speak, there are people out there absoutly KILLING it with LEDs, getting the same if not slightly better results, tighter node spacing on plants, more dense buds, with the right LED fixtures you can stay right on par with HID lighting, not saying that LEDs are for everyone but iv seen some stunning results and would make you think twice about your HPS lights... just sayin, dont talk crap especially if you have 0 first hand experience with real legitimate working LED fixtures cuz ill say i do and they are amazing.

P Jammers is the guy as Hammy said to talk about LEDs and such, P Jammers is totaly the living proof that LEDs do amazing work

sunakard2000 said:
lol really? you sir obviously have not been around the block so to speak, there are people out there absoutly KILLING it with LEDs, getting the same if not slightly better results, tighter node spacing on plants, more dense buds, with the right LED fixtures you can stay right on par with HID lighting, not saying that LEDs are for everyone but iv seen some stunning results and would make you think twice about your HPS lights... just sayin, dont talk crap especially if you have 0 first hand experience with real legitimate working LED fixtures cuz ill say i do and they are amazing.

P Jammers is the guy as Hammy said to talk about LEDs and such, P Jammers is totaly the living proof that LEDs do amazing work

the member you quoted posted that over 3 years ago. 3 years ago, I don't recall ANYONE getting the results that the latest technology is apparently allowing.
ie 3 years ago, his statement was entirely correct..

lol i didnt even notice the date, thought this was a new post >_< my bad

Even though this is an old thread, something I do want to add is that I think PJ's results are extraordinary. He has invested a large amount of money in his set-up (had them custom made) and he has great growing skills. He is the kind of grower that has his grow dialed in and gets good results, regardless of what he grows with. I just want to caution new growers that your experience may differ.

Latest posts

Back