HPS starting at 12/12 or slightly after?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ifsixwasnin9

Reaction score
When's good time to start HPS? I go to 12/12 then couple weeks later when I see flowers starting I switch from MH to HPS. Any suggestions, comments?

I figure it doesn't hurt this way because HPS (red light) is beneficial only for the flowers. I don't know if HPS helps induce the flowering (I thought that's done mainly by the light cutback which triggers the flower hormones.)

The way you are doing is fine IMO. I would switch them at the flip just because it seems to be more convenient but either way will not affect them at any noticable level. You are correct that the light level reduction to 12/12 is the main flowering inducer. :)

HPS isnt just for flowering..all though most use them....I have yet to see the Sun switch from MH to HPS:stoned:

Hey Smoke you haven't seen the sun switch? It usually switches around labor day in the early afternoon :D :hubba:

ifsixwasnin9 said:
When's good time to start HPS? I go to 12/12 then couple weeks later when I see flowers starting I switch from MH to HPS. Any suggestions, comments?

I figure it doesn't hurt this way because HPS (red light) is beneficial only for the flowers. I don't know if HPS helps induce the flowering (I thought that's done mainly by the light cutback which triggers the flower hormones.)

I think the best time for a HPS is flowering. I want to say that when you change to 12/12. But you can develop from beginning to end if you want, I discover two several weeks under my 250watt cfl gets better development at the begin though, others choose mh.

If i was you i'd just switch it right when you flip your lights over to 12/12... Thats what ive always done and will continue to do.

Latest posts

Back