HPS uses besides growing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaGreen

mama to brats n buds
Reaction score
hubby asked me last night what you would use a high wattage HPS/MH light for besides growing and i found i had no idea,lol. for example i know the low watt ones are sold as security lighting, but what would a non-grower buy a 400-1000Watt system for?

random question that i couldn't answer,maybe you guys can.:eek:

Higher wattages of metal halides are used for security and things like gymnasiums and parking lots. I know this because I bought several 400W MH for my shop from a college that was replacing its gymnasium lights. I'm not sure about the HPSs.

"I say I need to make a new grow box, He goes out and buys $170 worth of power tools."
LOL--you say that like it's a bad thing....

thanks for the info...it was just one of those questions that stumped me, and i hate knowing i don't know something when someone else wants to know....(figure that one out,lol, forgive me, i had me a guiness or 6 today on account of the holiday)

lol, it is a bad thing when he already has the tools he needed to do it, he just used it as an excuse to buy new toys for himself :p

The lights are good to use anywhere where high light(lumen) to low wattage ratio is needed. Shops, gymnasiums, signage etc. I'd be willing to bet street lights use some type of HID. They are good for warming up your house to lol.

hmmmmm.. I see the prisons use 5-6 huge hps per pole on their perimeter.. ;)

I use lights for photography as well, just plain perfect for some studio photographs and for some macro photographs, even high speed photographs...

I know most street lights around me are 250W - 400W HPS lights.. It all depends on how high the light is and how much area it can cover...

Latest posts

Back