HTG ballast kit vs light system

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emuman

Reaction score
does one need a reflective hood?
I only ask because it seems that I can get 2 400 watt hps ballast kits, and 2 bulbs for about the same price as a 400 watt hps "system"
I have sheet metal and tools to bend it

emuman said:
does one need a reflective hood?
I only ask because it seems that I can get 2 400 watt hps ballast kits, and 2 bulbs for about the same price as a 400 watt hps "system"
I have sheet metal and tools to bend it

most people run air cooled hoods... or cool tubes... what size of area you plan for them 2 400W.. you do know a 600w will be 90,000-95,000 lumens and a 400w is only 50,000-55,000.. be cheaper to run just a 600w.. in the DIY section theres a sheet metal reflector.. made for a cooltube ..
LH

There is more to HID lights than ballasts and bulbs. You also need mogul sockets and cords.

Unless you have a space that is really long and narrow, I also recommend going with a 600W rather than 2 400W (LH--I have not seen a 600W 100,000 lumen bulb do you have a source?)

The Hemp Goddess said:
There is more to HID lights than ballasts and bulbs. You also need mogul sockets and cords.

Unless you have a space that is really long and narrow, I also recommend going with a 600W rather than 2 400W (LH--I have not seen a 600W 100,000 lumen bulb do you have a source?)

Just the 119$ grow bulbs they try to sell me at the hydro store.. lol so no.. i will check around though.. my new 400w lumetek is supose to put out 65,000 lumens.. with a hortilux bulb... on "super lumens" thats "new":eek:
LH

well all i could find was 95,000. made by solormax..

The Hemp Goddess said:

Unless you have a space that is really long and narrow,....
ok the 400 watt High Pressure Sodium (HPS) Ballast Kit from htg supply Includes:
  • 1 - 400 watt Low Heat HPS Ballast
  • 1 - 400 watt HPS Capacitor
  • 1 - 400 watt HPS Ignitor
  • 1 - Mogul Based 5KV Pulse Rated Socket with fine threaded 8/32 bolts
  • 7 - High Temperature Wire Connectors
  • EASY TO UNDERSTAND WIRING INSTRUCTIONS INCLUDED!
and my space is 7 feet wide, 3 feet deep, and about 7 feet tall

also I can buy 400 watt hps bulbs from the local hardware store for less than $20, never seen a 600 watt in stores

emuman said:
ok the 400 watt High Pressure Sodium (HPS) Ballast Kit from htg supply Includes:
  • 1 - 400 watt Low Heat HPS Ballast
  • 1 - 400 watt HPS Capacitor
  • 1 - 400 watt HPS Ignitor
  • 1 - Mogul Based 5KV Pulse Rated Socket with fine threaded 8/32 bolts
  • 7 - High Temperature Wire Connectors
  • EASY TO UNDERSTAND WIRING INSTRUCTIONS INCLUDED!
and my space is 7 feet wide, 3 feet deep, and about 7 feet tall

also I can buy 400 watt hps bulbs from the local hardware store for less than $20, never seen a 600 watt in stores

21 sqft is to big of a space for 2 400w... not enough lumens per sqft to flower you want atleast 5000 lumens per sqft to flower in.. them are magnetic ballasts... why waste yer money on a magnetic ballast... get a digital man...
LH

LEFTHAND said:
21 sqft is to big of a space for 2 400w... not enough lumens per sqft to flower you want atleast 5000 lumens per sqft to flower in.. them are magnetic ballasts... why waste yer money on a magnetic ballast... get a digital man...
LH
to big of a space? right now Im flowering under cfl's and 4 foot floros, wont 2 400 watters be an improvement?
and the magnetic ballast kit is $54 the digital equivalent is $170

emuman said:
to big of a space? right now Im flowering under cfl's and 4 foot floros, wont 2 400 watters be an improvement?
and the magnetic ballast kit is $54 the digital equivalent is $170

the 400w will be an inprovemnt yes... but when you get a light it has to match your sqft to your room .. you want the min of 3000 lumens per sqft for veg... a min of 5000 lumens per sq ft for flower.. 7x3=21sqft...
21 devided by 100,000=4761 lumens per sqft.. just shy..

a magnetic ballast uses more power.. runs hotter and hummmmmmms...
dont look at the price of things all the time.. in the long run you want something to last.. dig is the way to go..
LH

LEFTHAND said:
.......dont look at the price of things all the time.. in the long run you want something to last........

sometimes its difficult to avoid "sticker shock" especially in today's economy,
although logically it makes sense to buy better quality in the first place, vs buying a cheaper unit then a better quality unit when the cheaper one fails,

are the magnetic ballasts prone to failure?
do they commonly not last long? (comes with a 2 year warranty)

I think the main part of my original question may have been over looked
would it be better for me to buy this
hXXp://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=47929

or 2 of these

hXXp://cgi.ebay.com/400-watt-High-Pressure-Sodium-Grow-Light-BALLAST-KIT-w_W0QQitemZ400091820276QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5d2754b0f4

well i would take the kit.. hood/light/remote ballast.... its not that there prone to failure.. its they way they run.. and how they do there job..

did you do the math for your area and size of lights you want??
doesnt wrk out.. as i pointed above..
but out of the 2.. the kit is your best bet....
LH

emuman said:
sometimes its difficult to avoid "sticker shock" especially in today's economy,
although logically it makes sense to buy better quality in the first place, vs buying a cheaper unit then a better quality unit when the cheaper one fails,

are the magnetic ballasts prone to failure?
do they commonly not last long? (comes with a 2 year warranty)

I think the main part of my original question may have been over looked
would it be better for me to buy this
hXXp://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=47929

or 2 of these

hXXp://cgi.ebay.com/400-watt-High-Pressure-Sodium-Grow-Light-BALLAST-KIT-w_W0QQitemZ400091820276QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5d2754b0f4

Check out some threads here--I think you'll find the opinions on magnetic vs digital are pretty far apart. Lots of people had bad luck with the initial digital product. I don't know if it's improved but I would think it would have to to compete. If you can dissipate the heat and the humming isn't a security issue (I've got a portable AC, two 12" oscillating fans and a Can fan in the attic so I don't hear a peep outta my magnetic ballasts) then the magnetics may be your Huckleberry.

And, yeah, sticker shock is an issue when you start this sport. But after you get rolling and are smoking better stuff than you could buy, all things become relative.

Sure, be smart and start out on the cheap, but always use adequate and appropriate equipment or you're wasting your time and your money. My first trip to the grow store, I dropped between a grand and a grand and a half. I felt like I'd been kicked in the gut. But then I pulled a year's worth of excellent pot out of a 4.5' X 8' room my first grow. My gut feels much better now. ;)

Luck and peace.

HTG supply has a great deal on ballast and bulbs..magnetic ones are just fine,only thing is magnetic is alot cheaper and will last for years..LH was right about the lumus,i learned the hard way..lol
oneshot

oneshot said:
HTG supply has a great deal on ballast and bulbs..magnetic ones are just fine,only thing is magnetic is alot cheaper and will last for years..LH was right about the lumus,i learned the hard way..lol
oneshot

I think we all learn in some way or another the hard way in this sport... :D .. i dont think i know anyone who's gone from start to finish with no problems... ..
LH

I have a magnetic ballast for my 400w and a digital for my 600w, and I honestly don't see a difference. My can fan makes more noise than either of these. Like PH said watch what you spend, but don't skimp on what you need, I have bought alot of things twice, because I tried to cut corners, and it didn't work so I end up buying what I should have in the first place.

Those kits that you asked about are fine, alot of people build their own reflectors. Or do a verticle grow like Nouvelle Chef, or relentless999 and then if you decide you want to get a horizontal reflector after your first grow then go for it....some things must be bought at first, and the initial ivestment hurts, but after that is done, it's not so bad upgradeing gradually. Good Luck to you!

legalize_freedom said:
I have a magnetic ballast for my 400w and a digital for my 600w, and I honestly don't see a difference. My can fan makes more noise than either of these. Like PH said watch what you spend, but don't skimp on what you need, I have bought alot of things twice, because I tried to cut corners, and it didn't work so I end up buying what I should have in the first place.

Those kits that you asked about are fine, alot of people build their own reflectors. Or do a verticle grow like Nouvelle Chef, or relentless999 and then if you decide you want to get a horizontal reflector after your first grow then go for it....some things must be bought at first, and the initial ivestment hurts, but after that is done, it's not so bad upgradeing gradually. Good Luck to you!

thank you

I use ballast kits, there just as good as any magnetic ballast.

You can buy or build some real nice enclosures for them.
Buy or build a hood, I like bought hoods my self.

You can use SO cord for hook up wire.

Latest posts

Back