Huge leafs block light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyGalaxy

Reaction score
I have massive leafs that block the light to everything else, what do you, cut them to get light to the under growth or are those massive leafs what are making my plant so great.

Those massive leaves are the power plants feeding engery to the undergrowth that allows it to grow. I leave them alone til they start dying off naturally.

I try not to prune leaves if I don't have to....if I have a Cpl in the way I will manipulate the leaf a bit till it is out of the way. A bend here and there usually does the trick. Jmo

ok so if youre in veg then do as you will to an extent as long as you give enough time to recoup b4 flower. ime those "solar panels" that block light to future bud sites do more harm then good, especially when they dwarf your hand. try on one plant & leave the others & see what you perfer. not trying to stir the pot Oz & HL. in flower let fall naturally. dont go crazy a couple here & there.

I love those huge hand sized leaves. Do not cut them--they are what fuels the plant--buds do not actually need light.

i cut mine
they love it more
i grow outdoors
but the insides like seeing light just as much as tht big leaf
if there is good node growth at tht particular node then i would pluck it

edit:
Hemp goddess i actually disagree wit your comment
about the bud not needing light....
thats the KEY to great buds
IMO

Syke said:
i cut mine
they love it more
i grow outdoors
but the insides like seeing light just as much as tht big leaf
if there is good node growth at tht particular node then i would pluck it

edit:
Hemp goddess i actually disagree wit your comment
about the bud not needing light....
thats the KEY to great buds
IMO

simply not true syke. photosynthesis is where everything 'good' occurs for growth, heath and vitality. That only occurs in the green portions of a plant, and "primarily" in the large leaves.
The 'buds' do not have the ability to utilize light. (photosynthesize)
hXXp://www.emc.maricopa.edu/faculty/farabee/BIOBK/BioBookPS.html
When I first started growing OD back in 1980, I was told by my mentor the same thing..."prune prune prune!!"..
Years later, I learned the error of my ways. Pruning leaves only serves to make the plant expend more energy trying to replace them. It is not beneficial to remove them, and "IME", actually slows growth/production.

Anyone who believes that it is good practice to cut the large fan leaves may want to read up little more on the botany of the plant.

lol
my plants never had one problem with it
no stress
no problems with "slow growth"
and IME a large fan leaf produces energy for tht specific node
once that node is soo big(3 4 5 internodes on it)
its pointless for tht big leaf to create more energy for tht node
because it already has more leaves growing on tht node

i know ur probably juss gonna give me bad rep for disagreeing with you
but i dont care
IME if ur gonna leave all the big leaves.
then u should trim all your lower nodes so the plants not wasting energy
making lanky nasty bammer nugs

and also i dont appreciate people saying that im ill informed
and need to read more
because i've read everything on this website,
i've been here for years now
and if i recall, no where does it says pruning is bad/stressful/wrong

like i said i get thick buds
from the tippy top, to the very bottom
no useless scraggle on my plants, but if u guys are into that
to each his own i guess

EDIT
and if buds dont need light how do they get trichs?
they juss magically show up? no

I am not vastly experienced like Hick or THG but I can and do read.
A grower friend swears by trimming all his fan leaves off, so, as a little experiment, I got him to leave 1 plant with its leaves on but block the light from getting to one particular bud. It was measured before doing this and a week later, it had grown about 20% with no light getting to it. How is this possible? Photosynthesis by the fan leaves.
There is more to what I did to convert my friend but now he leaves his leaves alone (padron the pun) unless they are damaged.

As for the tricks, what do you think happens? The light makes them metamorphosise? Do the leaves, stem, branches all metamorphosise via a little magic portal like star trek? whiisshhhh, trichs!

Needless to say, this is one of those hot topics that divides opinion, as usual, my opinion is swayed by science, particularly botany and I dont trim unless damaged.

Peace all. W (whiiishhhh gone)

ok so ur friend experimented
wht were the results?
the one with the leave left on grew 20%
and the one without leaves grew less than 20%
in the same time period...?

and yes i realize the plant works as one
but tht doesnt mean your yeild will be anything the same as nugs with light exposure

Syke said:
lol
my plants never had one problem with it
no stress
no problems with "slow growth"
and IME a large fan leaf produces energy for tht specific node
once that node is soo big(3 4 5 internodes on it)
its pointless for tht big leaf to create more energy for tht node
because it already has more leaves growing on tht node

i know ur probably juss gonna give me bad rep for disagreeing with you
but i dont care
IME if ur gonna leave all the big leaves.
then u should trim all your lower nodes so the plants not wasting energy
making lanky nasty bammer nugs

and also i dont appreciate people saying that im ill informed
and need to read more
because i've read everything on this website,
i've been here for years now
and if i recall, no where does it says pruning is bad/stressful/wrong

like i said i get thick buds
from the tippy top, to the very bottom
no useless scraggle on my plants, but if u guys are into that
to each his own i guess

EDIT
and if buds dont need light how do they get trichs?
they juss magically show up? no

I guess 'reading' and "comprehending" ARE two different things! :p
If you've both read and comprehend either the link that I posted, or the link to Clarkes "MJ Botany", (found on this site) I don't think you would be saying what you're saying.
I've been growing outdoors for more than 30 years. I have probably done more stupid things to my plants than most. I've boiled the roots, I've driven nails into the stalk, I've bent, tied, broken and beat, and I've trimmed off the big fan leaves. NONE of which can compare to providing them with as near perfect environment as possible, proper feed, and lots of sunshine on those giant fan leaves. I will gladly compare my OD to yours.
ESPECIALLY, outdoors, you are NOT going to have any issue with light penetration. Or sufficient light to your lower growth..

GuyGalaxy said:
I have massive leafs that block the light to everything else, what do you, cut them to get light to the under growth or are those massive leafs what are making my plant so great.

Wow, this argument keeps coming around.

What I'm about to say is in every "Botany 101" book ever written.

The leaves grow as a result of the plant sending a particular set of hormones to the spot on the branch where the leaf will grow. The plant sends those hormones so that it can take advantage of the additional light it senses at that point of the plant, where no leaves are growing.

The leaf gets large by being told to get large by the plant. It does so to COLLECT light for for photosynthesis and that photosynthesis is what makes the flowers, (BUDS), grow and grow as well as possible.

The parts of the plant that are green ALL contribute to photosynthesis, but the amount of photosynthesis created by the flowers themselves is tiny when compared to that produced by the leaves which are hit by the photons from the lights.

Removing ANY LEAF will TAKE AWAY from the total photosynthesis of the plant, NOT help it.

Taking healthy leaves off a plant is NOT something that should be done, and anyone who thinks it is, doesn't really understand how a plant like MJ grows in the first place.

I'm not being mean by saying this, but it's not "up for debate". It's proven plant science that has no "maybes" left in that part of the science.

Once again, this is not my opinion. It's proven fact that has been proven by scientists who have studied it down to the last molecule of the plant.

Anyone who doubts this can learn their error by simply picking up a book on "Plant Biology 101" at whatever university is closest to you.

Taking leaves off of a plant to make any part of that plant grow better is like cutting off your legs so you can run faster because you now weigh less. In terms of REAL Plant Biology, it makes no sense at all.

Pseudo Plant Biology that makes argument that more light hitting the buds equals more bud growth is nothing more than ignorance of real plant biology. It's not how plants work.

ive grown outdoors few times
and yeilded 3 pounds off of 3 plants
if it werent for the FBI hacking this **** and destroying everything
i could show u my 3 8' plants
for my FIRST grow OD EVER!

i dont know why u are trying to compete hick
u have something personal against me or something
but go ahead drop my rep again like u did last year
i dont care

i have my opinion u have yours
show me where it says pruning is bad and causes slow growth
and show me how good of a grower the person is who wrote it is,
and ill still practice my way

lol @stoney u just proved me right
u said" everything green produces photosynthesis"
so if a lower leaf does not collect light it gets the last of or a$$ end of the energy
tht is already used throughout the rest of the plant.
which in turn creates lower scraggle buds
with minimal trichs tht are clear.

furthermore the relationship between light to a bud site are important
proven by all of your guys lower nasty buds

Syke said:
I've grown outdoors few times
and yielded 3 pounds off of 3 plants
if it weren't for the FBI hacking this **** and destroying everything
i could show u my 3 8' plants
for my FIRST grow OD EVER!

i don't know why u are trying to compete hick
u have something personal against me or something
but go ahead drop my rep again like u did last year
i don't care

i have my opinion u have yours
show me where it says pruning is bad and causes slow growth
and show me how good of a grower the person is who wrote it is,
and ill still practice my way

Hick's not getting personal on you man. What he's saying is in every "Plant Biology 101" book published in the last 20 years.

I'm sorry man, but what you're saying is impossible. It's not "opinion", it's proven fact that has no room for argument. The fact that you haven't read the information or really proven it to yourself via lab quality experimentation doesn't make it any less fact.

Please, take my advice and go to any book store and buy a "Plant Biology 101" type book and read that puppy from cover to cover. You'll learn why what you're saying is not possible.

it will say cutting it is not the most productive choice for a plant
yes that fits into biology 101 i realize tht ur not "supposed" to cut green leaves
but if u have 3+ month of veg plus 2 or more month of flower
u will get a plant like this
very thick on the outside
but on the inside it is visibly dark
tell me light is penetrating tht whole plant hick
u cant see light threw it
which means its NOT penetrating

so in my mind 20 30 40 leaves over 6 months
over a 8 foot plant
aint diddly squat by golly fosh

so if u dont like it or me
u can envy my monsters in a couple months ok?

nice1.jpg

syke... I gave you back your 'green' pebbles AFTER others neg' repped you for your poor posts. I'm not going to be goaded into a 'personal pissin match'.
Arguing 'your opinion' against scientific fact and decades of experience, is 'your' choice. AND, I suppose if others weigh evidence, see the difference and use a little logic. They can make their own decision...;)

:rofl:.. THAT.. :rofl: is NOT your plant!.. :rofl:

From Clarke's Marijuana Botany
Leafing is one of the most misunderstood techniques of drug Cannabis cultivation. In the mind of the cultivator, several reasons exist for removing leaves. Many feel that large shade leaves draw energy from the flowering plant, and therefore the flowering clusters will be smaller. It is felt that by removing the leaves, surplus energy will be available, and large floral clusters will be formed. Also, some feel that inhibitors of flowering, synthesized in the leaves during the long noninductive days of summer, may be stored in the older leaves that were formed during the noninductive photoperiod. Possibly, if these inhibitor-laden leaves are removed, the plant will proceed to flower, and maturation will be accelerated. Large leaves shade the inner portions of the plant, and small atrophied floral clusters may begin to develop if they receive more light.

In actuality, few if any of the theories behind leafing give any indication of validity. Indeed, leafing possibly serves to defeat its original purpose. Large leaves have a definite function in the growth and development of Cannabis. Large leaves serve as photosynthetic factories for the production of sugars and other necessary growth sub stances. They also create shade, but at the same time they are collecting valuable solar energy and producing foods that will be used during the floral development of the plant. Premature removal of leaves may cause stunting, because the potential for photosynthesis is reduced. As these leaves age and lose their ability to carry on photo synthesis they turn chlorotie (yellow) and fall to the ground. In humid areas care is taken to remove the yellow or brown leaves, because they might invite attack by fungus. During chlorosis the plant breaks down substances, such as chlorophylls, and translocates the molecular components to a new growing part of the plant, such as the flowers. Most Cannabis plants begin to lose their larger leaves when they enter the flowering stage, and this trend continues until senescence. It is more efficient for the plant to reuse the energy and various molecular components of existing chlorophyll than to synthesize new chlorophyll at the time of flowering. During flowering this energy is needed to form floral clusters and ripen seeds.

Removing large amounts of leaves may interfere with the metabolic balance of the plant. If this metabolic change occurs too late in the season it could interfere with floral development and delay maturation. If any floral inhibitors are removed, the intended effect of accelerating flowering will probably be counteracted by metabolic upset in the plant. Removal of shade leaves does facilitate more light reaching the center of the plant, but if there is not enough food energy produced in the leaves, the small internal floral clusters will probably not grow any larger. Leaf removal may also cause sex reversal resulting from a metabolic change.

If leaves must be removed, the petiole is cut so that at least an inch remains attached to the stalk. Weaknesses in the limb axis at the node result if the leaves are pulled off at the abscission layer while they are still green. Care is taken to see that the shriveling petiole does not invite fungus attack.

It should be remembered that, regardless of strain or environmental conditions, the plant strives to reproduce, and reproduction is favored by early maturation. This produces a situation where plants are trying to mature and reproduce as fast as possible. Although the purpose of leafing is to speed maturation, disturbing the natural progressive growth of a plant probably interferes with its rapid development.

As my English friend would say, trimmed to bloddyell.

Text books are just that, a friggin book. Much of what is written is **.

Seeing is believing right? This won't work on every strain of course, but with some it will.
:hubba:

Latest posts

Back