Hurricane Irene

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SensiStarFan

Reaction score
I live in NC on the coast and Irene has finally passed through. Power has been out and it is a little hairy around here. If anyone else is around here I hope you are ok.

-SSF-

Congrats, the worst is over. We're in coastal Georgia and saw Irene yesterday morning. A little wind, very little rain, all in all a non-event here.

She is hitting me now...so far no biggie but the worst is yet to come.

good time to have a backup generator!

111 degrees here.

Id take a light hurricane so long as rain and lower temps followed.

Blew main breaker 2xs today already. :(

Im running the a/c but sitting in the dark. :rofl:

Glad I made the switch to 12/12 a few days back, Id be in trouble.

Ive been thru 3 hurricanes..The worst is the loss of power for a week or better.. I plan ahead.. fill the tank. charge the cell phones. and then when I hear there wont be power for 2 weeks.. I head out.. throw out all the food in the fridge and freezer. leave the doors open on the fridge and get on 95 north or south until I find motels with power.. Had to do this twice a few years ago.. exactly why I am waiting till the end of October till I start up again.. no chance of loss of power.. Take care everyone. Hero

Dang hero. I have never been forcefully removed from my home before, makes me realize a few things.

OGKushman said:
111 degrees here.

Id take a light hurricane so long as rain and lower temps followed.

Blew main breaker 2xs today already. :(

quote]

glad its not just me

Power outage would **** up my whole grow -- I wish you well people -- I pray for your plants, and I hope you fair well.

This is a mild hurricane.. cat 1. was a 2.. I laugh seeing on TV all the reporters on the beachs all up along the east coast.. Beleive me.. If this was a cat 3 or 4.. U wouldnt see that. no one out.. absolutly no one.. except possibly me.. a few years a ago.. I thought one was over ( the eye passed over) and it was a huge hurricane.. I drove home on the wrong side of the road northbound lane. divided highway.. seeing telephone pole after telephone pole.. snapped completly in half.. hanging from the wires up over head.. I was dodgeing flying stop signs that flew in front of my truck.. I had. had no power for over 6 or 8 hours so I didnt know it was just the eye and the wind.. the HOWLING would start again. lol Good luck everyone.. be glad you dont live in S. FL where we have to contend with these every summer.. Hero

hero4u2b said:
This is a mild hurricane.. cat 1. was a 2.. I laugh seeing on TV all the reporters on the beachs all up along the east coast.. Beleive me.. If this was a cat 3 or 4.. U wouldnt see that. no one out.. absolutly no one.. except possibly me.. a few years a ago.. I thought one was over ( the eye passed over) and it was a huge hurricane.. I drove home on the wrong side of the road northbound lane. divided highway.. seeing telephone pole after telephone pole.. snapped completly in half.. hanging from the wires up over head.. I was dodgeing flying stop signs that flew in front of my truck.. I had. had no power for over 6 or 8 hours so I didnt know it was just the eye and the wind.. the HOWLING would start again. lol Good luck everyone.. be glad you dont live in S. FL where we have to contend with these every summer.. Hero

Whoaa... This is like a scene from a movie.

U outta see one.. I watched as the sliding glass doors on my porch BOWED from the wind.. listening to the windows in my place rattle sooo loud.. Irene was basically a tropical storm, by the time it reached land.. borderline cat 1.. minimel. When u drive down the street after a cat 3 all u see is broken telephone poles. trees, wires sparking in the road.. wondering if its safe to just drive over them..

Thx Hick.. I was just elaborating on what a major hurricane is like living down in s fl.. and how Irene was just a TS more or less and its that up north is just not used to TS's and hurricanes.. Down here its a season.. we havent been hit for 5 or 6 years but when we are.. its unbeleivable.. The damage wind and rain can cause.. PPl here have hurricane partys ect.. its wild and a lil fun.. until you realize theyre saying possibly no power for several weeks. trying to sleep in 80 degree temps at night with all your windows open and curfews where you cant be on the road after dark. hopefully we'll get thru another summer without a major hurricane.. be safe everyone. Hero

Still without power here. Had to cut my grow and smoke it young.
Prepared and had babies all set to replace them though. So no loss really.

What made it so bad is that we had so much rain already before hand. So that over saturated wet ground had trees tipping over left and right.

Had no damage outside a tree that fell over into the water, messing up my beautiful view and pristine shoreline. Though some neighbors had stuff like siding blow off the house, trees and big branches fallin on houses and cars.

I feel ya Spearchucker. Still without power here too. Moved the last of my indoors outdoors to finish up. Outdoor plants survived.

May lose some that was in the drying process- been hanging for almost 2 weeks :eek:

Hopefuly spearchucker and bbfan this wont happen again to you all.. Down here in s fl we havnt had a major hurricane in 5 or 6 years but I know what its like without power.. we had 3 major hurricanes a few years back and the shortest time we were without power was like a week.. The longest was like 2 weeks.. it absolutly sucks. no a/c . bathing.. ect ect.. I remember on one of the bad ones.. I drove out to the emergency room of one of our local hospitals just to charge my cell and drink fresh black coffee.. I am sure you guys will be getting power soon.. my brothers in mass is back on after a 3 day outage.. Take care.. Hero

You guys, that is so terrible. I am glad you and yours are alright, but how sad to lose plants indoors because of power. I am sorry for all of you without power. Do we need a better grid in the east coast or would the wind have taken it down anyway?

SOLAR SOLAR SOLAR!!!!! Feeling for all you dealing with that. Sucks big time, but atleast you are all safe and fine

Latest posts

Back