Hydrated Lime

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuy103

Praying for a female!
Reaction score
When using hydrated lime mixed with water, do you have to pH the hydrated lime water mixture?

Nope... just mix with water and feed. Don't use too much hydrated lime as it can be a bit harsh for plants. It's used a lot more for industrial uses than for agriculture. A fine dolomite lime would be a better choice as it's made for gardening and it has magnesium and calcium that your girls need. I've seen the fine dolomite sold as 'sweet lime' too.

Peace!:cool:

I agree with Dirty, be careful using hydrated lime its very potent if possible get some crushed dolomite lime they usally carry it at most grow shops!

Phatpharmer

Thanks guys.

I think I'll look for that "sweet" lime you were talking about.

You think I can find it at Home Depot or Lowes?

Yeah they should have it but look for a powder not a pellet form as the pellet form can take 6months to a year to work they'are for outdoors mostly, if you have a garden center or a hydro shop I'd look there first!

Phatpharmer

HI,

For some reason it can be a P I T A to find POWDER dolomite lime. The pelletized stuff is usually easy to find but as phatfarmer mentions it takes much too long to use in a pot that will have the plant harvested out of it long before it can do any good in the soil. I compost my old soil for eventual reuse and I add some of the pelletized stuff as I keep it around long enough to do something in the soil but I still put some of the powdered "Sweet Lime" into my soil with my other amendments.

The same company (Lilly Miller) that makes Alaska Morbloom etc, fertilizers makes a nice powdered sweet lime product:

hXXp://www.lillymiller.com/sweeteners.html

I'd suggest doing your legwork on the phone and call your local garden centers to see if they have some. It could save you some gas money as I've had a tough time finding it in a metro area with a million people. Even my hydro stores only carried the pelletized dolomite or the hydrated varieties. I had to ask my fave hydro store to order a bag for me and they now carry it. They already carry the Alaska fertilizers so the connections were in place for getting it easily.

I wonder if you used a mortar and pestle and pulverized the pellet version if it would make it more immediately available like the powdered version?

Good Luck!:cool:

supersweet05.jpg

Thanks Dirty!

I'm way ahead of ya. I've been calling local garden shops to find any PODWER garden lime. After calling about 5 different places there was a garden center 3 miles away that had hydrated lime, just what I was looking for. They called it hydrated horticulture lime.

dman1234 said:
whats the lime for/do??

Its a buffer for PH, when using the Lime it makes it a whole lot easier to control your PH level! Hope that answers your question

Phatpharmer:hubba:

to neutralize soil acidity and add calcium and magnesium.

Latest posts

Back