Hydro or Soil? Which is best overall?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ Hick. That is The Emerad Triangle's version of Cirque de Soleil.

I'm 99% that it was the plants' genetics that resulted in it being so narrow. 3 of us grew some plants from (clones) of those seeds (different donor plants). Some were in the ground, some were indoor their whole life (the donor plants), and 3 different nutrient regimin's were used. All the plants grew the same.
You'd think with the way the plant grew (tall and slender) that it would be heavily sativa-dom, but the leaves had medium-sized blades.

All in all, it was a somewhat disappointing experiment, but then again, many great things are discovered by experimenting, like having sex with 3 women at the same time (conclusion: tough but do-able).
This year I'm experimenting with something my friend calls American Beauty, which I believe he got from the Oakland Cannibus Buyer's Club.
I know it's good, cause a few nights ago I smoked some of last year's harvest and woke up the next morning in the woods, dressed in a moose suit.

Thanks everyone for your input. I was thinking the bubble bucket and my cuz was thinking soil. Since it's his place I guess I'll stick with what he wants. But I'd still like more info on both. I like the idea of the bubble bucket, I was wondering if you have to use steaks to hold it up? I am assuming yes but then again it's not like I know anything lol. That's what the post is for :)
Thanks again everyone and lets keep this post going.

I got a couple bubblin buckets goin, fist time. I am going to tie strings around plants and fasten to walls with tacks (closet). They look and feel like there not too stable. mine are about 28" tall now:cool:

I use 5" net pots with hydroton grow rock to hold the plant steady as it grows. The bigger the pot, the more sturdy the plant will be. You can also buy lids with the pots allready molded into it. These would be really steady. If you go mediumless then you will have to tie the babie up some way.

BTW, if you put one in a 5 gal bucket of dirt and another in a 5 gal bubbler, then sit side by side under the same light, you will see the bubbler blows the dirt away. I've done it. Dirt is ONLY great outdoors, IMHO. You will see lots of mixed opinions on that. Thats why I did the test myself.

I beleive you,I was suprised and so was my buddy he grows constant running water way. I' stoned i cant think what its called.

Hydro grows plants faster.
But not all that much faster than quality potting soil.
And soil is far more forgiving than hydro.
I recommend that the beginning indoor gardener use soil for at least the first grow, to learn about growing inside.

The easiest method of indoor growing is ebb n flo.
I've tried buckets, aeroponics, soil, and the drip method; with ebb n flo you can leave for up to a week (though you shouldn't).
When my ebb n flo is up and running (shut down now because of the season), all I need to do is go in for a few minutes every few days to check/adjust pH and ppm.
Once a week I top off the res., every 2 weeks I drain the res., flush the plants and re-fill.

Hey Ganja, I use the ebb&flo,its nice. I think I like it better than the bucket as far as maintenance.

It's been awhile since I posted. But I was wondering if anyone would know how hard it would be to set up a solar powered light so as not to put a spike in your electric bill. I don't wanna draw attention to how much power will be drawn.

T
MM, there was a long thread about this subject at another site a year or 2 back, and a lot of research was done. Factoring in solar panels, the concrete slabs they need to be mounted on, storage batteries, wiring, inverters & installation, solar power costs about $100.00/watt to generate.

However there is a form of solar energy that works GREAT for growing marijuana, and it's FREE.
It's called growing outside.

Latest posts

Back