HYDROPONICS : Getting Rid Of Slimy Roots

• Thread starter THE BROTHER'S GRUNT
  • Start date
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

THE BROTHER'S GRUNT

Getting Rid Of Slimy Roots

Slimy roots are a sign of algae growth. To get rid of algae just follow the instructions and any algae should be gone in a few days.

Make a solution the size of your container with plain water and 10 ml H2O2 (HYDROGEN PEROXIDE) added per gallon of water. Empty the container that has the algae and scrub well. Pour the H202 mixture into the container through the top of your net pot. Let this set for about 1/2 hour. Then dump and rinse through the top of the net pot with plain PH adjusted (PH 5.5) water. Dump again then fill with your standard nute solution with 5 ml of H202 added. After a few days when there are no longer signs of slime visable dump your container and fill it back up with your normal nute solution.

Stopping Algae From Growing In Your Container

It's very important to keep light from getting to your nutes. it's recommended that your containers be dark. If your containers are clear or white you can use black duct tape or anti-corrosion pipe tape. Be sure that the top is also taped that no light can get through.

Algae needs light in order to grow. Making sure no light gets to your nutes through the container is the best way to prevent algae growth. Algae also thrives in anaerobic conditions (meaning lack of oxygen). Be sure that plenty of air is being pumped into the containers. 600 cc's / min per gallon will ensure plenty of oxygen is being introduced into the nutes.

Please do not respond to this thread it is for educational purposes only. If you want to add something send me a PM and i will toss it in. Thank You, TBG

Just a quick heads up for everyone -

It should be noted the dilution ratios above are for basic 3% hydrogen peroxide. The same stuff you buy at the pharmacy.

However, if you buy your H2O2 at your hydroponics store, most of them sell food grade H2O2 which is 35%. If you use the dilution ratios above i.e. 10 mil/gallon, with the food grade H2O2 you will fry your roots. Might as well try hydroponics with pure bleach for a nutrient solution. :D
So, if using food grade/35% H2O2 to cure pythium or other bacteria and fungii that can plague a hydro grow, use only 10-15 DROPS (from an eyedropper) per gallon. As a preventative add 5 drops per gallon of solution each week.

is algie from ;ack of cleaning thetank or resovwar????

Smoker said:
Cure Pythium?

Ahh, I should have been more specific in that post.
You can not "cure" pythium. It is a bacteria. It is always present.
You can prevent and "cure" the symptoms of a pythium infection. In this case, "cure" simply means ridding the plant of infectious symptoms. The actual bacteria will still be present.
The key is to make your root zone hospitable to the roots, not to bacteria, usually caused by low oxygen levels in the solution or high temp solutions (which also causes low O2 levels).
Cool nutrient solution temps (68-73 F) and proper aeration will not allow pythium to grow.

Hope that clarifies, havent finished my coffee yet this morning. :D

What do you mean by keeping your nutrient solution aerated?

Doesnt the water pump do this regulary? Or do i need to use Air stones or air pumps to stir up the nutrients.

you need the put some airstones in there... the more the better.

215zealot said:
What do you mean by keeping your nutrient solution aerated?

Doesnt the water pump do this regulary? Or do i need to use Air stones or air pumps to stir up the nutrients.

Not to contradict van guy but if you have a big enough pump for circulation you shouldn't need any air stones at all. Keep things clean and make sure your pump circulates well and you should be fine

santacruzgardener said:
Not to contradict van guy but if you have a big enough pump for circulation you shouldn't need any air stones at all. Keep things clean and make sure your pump circulates well and you should be fine

Wrong what you said didnt make sense on so many levels its not funny ;)

oh really? lol your an idiot, why don't you break down these multiple levels for us then!

go back and read the rules scg. #2, to be specific. there is no need to attack anyone here. were here to help each other with one thing. growing pot...bb...

stupid question...easily answered by looking at a measuring cup.
sorry

-Reality

another quick, maybe less stupid question. I am rinsing my plant now with pure ro water. My question is...is it a problem that I am using the same gallon jugs that i mixed the hydrogen peroxide in to rinse my plants. Is there going to be a small amount of h2o2 in the "pure" ro water that i am rinsing with that is going to **** up my plant?

Thanks in Advance,

Reality

I have a question about this part...Do I add 5mL of h2o2 total or this that per gallon of water???

Dump again then fill with your standard nute solution with 5 ml of H202 added. After a few days when there are no longer signs of slime visable dump your container and fill it back up with your normal nute solution.

Thanks

I'll start with the most obvious fallacy in relying on a circulatoin pump to aerate solutions.

First if you cavitate a pump, you're NOT ADDING gases to the solution even though you get bubbles -- you are just pulling the dissolved gases out of the solution and letting them bubble around.

Second, the only way to oxygenate solutions is to either let the solutin free fall through the air or to introduce air into the solution. Air stones are actually not designed for this but will work. The aeration needs of a fish tank are completely different than for a hydro tank. An simpler and less expensive way is to just but an open ended air hose in the bottom of the tank and let the bubbles come right out of the end of the hose. A large air pump will agitate and aerate the solution at the same time. Just be sure the air pump is providing clean air of the proper temp for your solutio0n or it will introduce dirt and change the temp of the solution.

Have a great day!

hi guys i,m going to be running these two systems my question is will i need airstones in both reseviors also how many plants do you reckon i,ll get in a 240mtr by 120mtr & 2 mtr high i plan to veg under 2x600watt hps & keep my mothers & a couple of veg plants in my 120mtr x 120mtr + 2mtr high i,ll also be doing some soil & hydro pots maybe a bubble bucket in my cupboard also i just cant stop growing it,s on my mind constant 24/7 Do any you guys or girls have a good link for advanced nutrients the whole line up as it,s hard to get in the U.K especially budignitor budcandy kushie kush. I currently use vitalink grow & bloom with Advancedboostaccelerator pk 13/14 hygrzyme biopac cannazym rhizotonic superthrive carboload bigbud overdrive finalphase i get good results about 2.oz per plant & that,s under a 600watt son t plus & a 250cfl i got some good strains & dont wana lose em so i plan to keep bonzai mothers does anyone no is there a nack to this?all help is really appreciated i no i,ve been of the site for a while internet was down.I,ve got la woman,greatwhiteshark,whitewidow,kingskush,bubbakush,alaskanice,bigbang,lemonskunk & loads more seeds to be popped i,m doing a sort of perpetual crop just now so i,ve defo got a smoke & something to pull every couple of wks but if i get this large tent i,ll keep a couple coming in & out every few wks just need to be vegged elsewhere but the rest can go in & come out at the same time most of my strains take 9wks so i figure 3-4wks veg under 1200hps if i have the funds for mhbulbs also that would help i,m sure my digital ballast takes both kinds it should anyway i hope this gets read & i get a few pms as this site,s always good for an answer or 2 let me no wot you think about the nutes p.s 1 light will be an aircooled sputnik the other is an adjustashade just for my temps also when i close my window just now the humidity shoots up in the tent so it,s gona be worse in a bigger 1 aint it should i think about a dehumidifier as 75rh is a bit much especially in flower eh do you,s think i,d be able to purchase 1 of ebay also what can i use for c02 in my tent i was thinking would spraying the c02 you get nowadays to pump up car tyres ect be of any use i had a m8 said he done it & said it helped failing that where can i get c02 in the u.k Thanks for listening it was great to get that out now let me no what you think asap peace growers kp it up:confused: :hubba: :p

How do you transfer the plant without killing it, while you are cleaning the basket and tank?

The two texts on hydroponics that I have read recommend maintaining an H2O2 level of ~ 50 PPM as a prophylactic against Pythium. According to my reading once you have it the whole system needs chemical sterilization. Test-strips appropriate for maintaining 50 PPM H2O2 are available on line. A UV sterilizer will take care of everything else, or so say the texts.

Latest posts

Back