I don't know what a bud is part two....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bombtombadll

Reaction score
OK all, I posted a while back that I don't understand what a bud is. It was hard to explain why I was confused last grow but I have a new grow and am scratching my head again. This time around I have pictures to help explain my confusion.

The top of a cola is obvious to me, I've circled what I consider to be the "flower" on top in blue. What about the big gangle of leaves that bunches up on the bottom (circled in red), are there flowers hidden by leaves? Do I trim all of these off (for tea etc) or let them dry into one huge bud? I let them dry into one huge bud last grow and it's very possible I'm smoking leaves. (dam good leaves that is, they get me very high)

And another silly newbie question, if the lower leaves are not flower and are trimmed, is this what lollipopping does? Is lollipopping a technique used to remove lower leaves so that the flowers get more resources? If so, I'll grow this exact strain again and learn myself how to lollipop.

Inked_DSC4153_001_LI.jpg

Last edited:
When the bud is ready you cut it down and you can either trim it before or after drying I suggest before and a good pair of scissors is a must and all the leaves sticking out from the bud you trim or cut off at the stem if you can and you keep all that and you can make hash out of it whichever kind of hash you like but yes all those leafs are getting trimmed off the bud so it looks like bud the more time and the more carefully you do it the better the end product will look after drying and curing it

Trimmed correctly nice and tight it should end up alright I think closer pics would help and week of flowering? 🤔

Trimmed correctly nice and tight it should end up alright I think closer pics would help and week of flowering? 🤔

OK, specifics: Week 9 and 6 days from 12/12

Nirvana Northern Lights Fem: (multiple breeders say 7-9 weeks)

I wasn't here for Trichome or harvest info but I'll definitely take the help, I'll post some pics later zoomed in, I'm seeing almost all cloudy with a few amber starting on the larger older sugar leaves.

Thanks !

View attachment 291981
the flowers usually grow the whole length if you’re lucky they are pretty close together and will grow into each other making one big bud. These are mine in early flower. You can see the flowers stacking and soon will fatten up I hope.

Nice looking plant ! Nice shade of green with perky leaves, looks great.

OK, your picture is perfect. If this was mine, I'd have no problem understanding. BUT mine starts like yours (showing flowers all the way down the cola) and then leaves cover everything. Look at the size and depth of those leaves! Chopping these up is horrible, if you dry trim, all of those leaves shrink deeper during the drying process and become harder to remove. This grow, I plan to wet trim, to see if anything is hiding behind the leaves.

This plant has large heavy colas some over 12 inches long, if only the flower showing is usable, I'll be lucky to get 1/4 ounce of bud out of this grow...Dammit ! I thought it was looking like at least an ounce at first.

When the bud is ready you cut it down and you can either trim it before or after drying I suggest before and a good pair of scissors is a must and all the leaves sticking out from the bud you trim or cut off at the stem if you can and you keep all that and you can make hash out of it whichever kind of hash you like but yes all those leafs are getting trimmed off the bud so it looks like bud the more time and the more carefully you do it the better the end product will look after drying and curing it

I'm wet trimming this time, dry trimming was a nightmare for me first go around as all the sugar leaves really shrunk and stuck like a big glue ball.

I'm saving all trim to make edibles, so I really plan to trim deep this go to find buds. There has to me more than just the tops !

Nice looking plant ! Nice shade of green with perky leaves, looks great.

OK, your picture is perfect. If this was mine, I'd have no problem understanding. BUT mine starts like yours (showing flowers all the way down the cola) and then leaves cover everything. Look at the size and depth of those leaves! Chopping these up is horrible, if you dry trim, all of those leaves shrink deeper during the drying process and become harder to remove. This grow, I plan to wet trim, to see if anything is hiding behind the leaves.

This plant has large heavy colas some over 12 inches long, if only the flower showing is usable, I'll be lucky to get 1/4 ounce of bud out of this grow...Dammit ! I thought it was looking like at least an ounce at first.
The whole thing is useable not just the top flower. I usually do a wet trim not to close cause to me it’s easier to remove what I know I don’t want. Some prefer a dry trim tho for other reasons. Either way there are buds under those leaves. Mine are young so the buds haven’t grown together yet to form the 12 inch cola you are talking about. Hopefully mine will get thick like yours soon

The whole thing is useable not just the top flower. I usually do a wet trim not to close cause to me it’s easier to remove what I know I don’t want. Some prefer a dry trim tho for other reasons. Either way there are buds under those leaves. Mine are young so the buds haven’t grown together yet to form the 12 inch cola you are talking about. Hopefully mine will get thick like yours soon

OK, cool. Hopefully this clears up the "this guy must be crazy thing". I think you guys can see that this strain is very leaf heavy and not easy to determine flowers lower on the colas. Maybe I'll try a new strain next grow, but I really love Northern Lights!

I'll harvest in a week and post my trim results. I've read a lot of the Dry Trim vs Wet Trim debates, but for this strain (and newbie like me) its a no brainer. Wet trim wins !

Where do you grow in your house to hide it away from the kids. The attic perhaps? I just found this great spot in my attic. I may try a Veg area here
View attachment 292002View attachment 292003

Nice attic, no I cant use mine, its too hot in the summer and too hard to get too. (Need a ladder). I really wish I could use my attic, its huge and I could grow a forest of Dank buds....

I'm growing in a lockable safe in my laundry room. My wife stands inches from the cabinet hanging clothes to dry. So for those wondering about Northern Lights odor, she doesn't notice a thing week 10 flower !

I'm so obsessed with this hobby that I've considered installing a fake wall in the back of a closet (with a hidden entrance). For now, I have 1.5x1.5 feet of space on one side of my safe. It was a huge job cutting intake and exhaust holes through the metal in my safe, but I got it done. It's nice to be able to lock plants up securely. (and I hide the keys)

I grow for personal use and smoke much less than most, an ounce from my last grow is still lasting 2 months later. One plant at a time is working great for me, If I grew more, I might smoke too much!

I love to hear folks enjoying the hobby. And your secure setup sounds fun too with a key and everything Good luck with your grow and keep us updated. Would love to see the safe pics too 😎

OK all, I posted a while back that I don't understand what a bud is. It was hard to explain why I was confused last grow but I have a new grow and am scratching my head again. This time around I have pictures to help explain my confusion.

The top of a cola is obvious to me, I've circled what I consider to be the "flower" on top in blue. What about the big gangle of leaves that bunches up on the bottom (circled in red), are there flowers hidden by leaves? Do I trim all of these off (for tea etc) or let them dry into one huge bud? I let them dry into one huge bud last grow and it's very possible I'm smoking leaves. (dam good leaves that is, they get me very high)

And another silly newbie question, if the lower leaves are not flower and are trimmed, is this what lollipopping does? Is lollipopping a technique used to remove lower leaves so that the flowers get more resources? If so, I'll grow this exact strain again and learn myself how to lollipop.

View attachment 291979
That is a very admirable job you did of low stress training. What I would do when they are ready for harvest is I would cut off the individual colas at their base(where they branch off from the main stalk) and give them a wet trim which means trimming off the fan leaves and as many of the sugar leaves as you can. Get as close to the stem as you can without cutting the ‘bract’(the part that looks like what you would buy from a seller-see pic below). It takes practice and you will find that the first time you trim, it is ‘fun’ but becomes a chore(put in some good music-I like to trim listening to Weens 12 Golden Country Greats (http://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDF38BE1830948913)but that is a personal choice). I use Chikamasa scissors but Fishkars make some adequate shears as well. The more sugar leaves you leave, the heavier your yield will be but also your smoke will be harsher. Keep all your trimmings if you are going to make cannabutter(most people just keep the sugar leaves for this but I cook up everything but the stalk and stems). Once you have trimmed, you want to slowly dry the buds. I hang mine from the stems using pipe cleaners in a room I keep at around 50% humidity and 70 deg F with a fan to keep the air moving but not blowing directly on the buds. When the outsides of the buds feel dry, I put them in paper grocery bags to get the drying process more homogeneous(you don’t want the outside bone dry and the inside wet). Depending on the size of your buds, this drying can take from 2 days hanging and a week in the bags to a week hanging and a couple of days in the bag. You will have to get a feel for it. Once the buds feel dry and ‘lighter’ weight-wise, I follow the ‘Perfect Cure Everytime’ method of curing. My buds keep for years. I still have some that smoke nicely from 2015. Boveda packs (I use the ‘62’ s but they make ‘55’ s that I would use in the future. The Boveda packs keep the buds from completely drying out. I also vacuum seal my Mason jars but you need to wait until the buds are cured to vac seal or you will burst the trichomes.
AD9EE8E0-9186-4C2C-92EA-A62D4BCCDB70.jpeg

This picture is from Weedmaps, not mine…
Keep up the good work. I felt I was getting too wordy and lost my train of though so I am sure I left a lot out…

I could never grow in my attic. My plants would be toasted.

Latest posts

Back